Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Musings and Meanderings

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Great read. Seems like you should've gone directly from TTS to 2RS. 2Rs is the only turbo that tickles my taint and would make me think about jettisoning my 3RS.2.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks for the reviews, it's an interesting trip down the line of Porsches, especially since you've managed to have almost every interesting model. I imagine it can be hard not to get jaded on your car of the moment and then regret the one that "got away". It's happened to me a few times and I think will happen again if I continue to flip cars. I think your story probably rings true for a lot of people here, constantly chasing the next best thing, getting it and then moving on to the next. Even the rush of the new car gets dulled if done too often. Now, slowly I realize that really good cars, like my manual GT3 take time to appreciate. Especially if you have multiple cars you are driving. For me, I don't think I truly appreciate all the subtleties of a car until the third year of ownership, when you have finally 'learned' about all it has to offer and now also have great memories of great drives and a real connection is formed. Good luck on your quest and continue to share!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Really interesting commentary and observations. Only “interesting” 991 missing is the T! Would love to hear how it compares.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:30 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Had a cup of coffee brewed this morning and enjoyed reading your write up

Loved the honesty/sense of humor and the fact that your TTS was the one that got away/favorite, did not expect to read that but made sense to me

That is a hell of a run of cars for you and envious you got to experience them albeit for shorter periods of time.. did you sell the R/.2 manual GT3 just to try the next one, or any other particular reason?

Curious what is going to replace the 2RS....I noticed deposit placed on Fresno's 918?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for your write up and really enjoyed your first hand review. The 2RS seems to be something you might like best and I think now that you have done the full circle of GT cars, you will probably appreciate and enjoy it that much more. As a current .2 GT3 Manual owner I too LOVE the TTS very very much and have driven it for long periods on many occasions. I never thought of the 2RS as a contender, its too expensive for me but after reading your impressions I now wonder what the 2RS is all about... Enjoy it in great health!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonderful write up. While I haven't owned a TTS or a GT3, I've owned the other cars you've commented on. I agree with your descriptions. As I was reading, I hoped that you would end your post with impressions of the new Carrera T. I currently own a T as my driver, and am very impressed -- look forward to driving it, just like I do my 2RS -- a return to my earlier Porsche days: very direct and responsive performance.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

Great write up tks , i myself i own a 991.1 TTS and a 991.2 3RS and expecting my 2RS in a month or so . I too love my tts to bits , its a monster . But i will have to respectfuly disagree with you on the 3RS , its a wonderful car with great street manners ( i would suggest you drive a viper gen4 ACR to see how a track car drives on the roads !! Lol i also love it )
the sound if the 3rs after 6k is intoxicating !!!
But tks for your time to write the post , i look forward to your opinion on the 2RS .
Thumbs up from me !!
Sherif
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting observations! Out of all the 991s I've owned and driven I would flip your list around and put my '18 GTS cab at the very top, especially after high flow cats and a stage 2 tune which brings it to about the same wheel power as a stock Turbo, but in a lighter RWD package. To me it's got the best mix of power and agility in the lineup. It feels faster and much more nimble and fun than the 991.2 Turbo I test drove. I also think the alcantara is perfect in the heat, even in 110 degree Texas heat it is totally comfortable with the top down, unlike leather seats which burn your a** when you sit down and have ventilation that can't keep up with those temps.

I'd also rate my .2 GT3 RS much higher than my .1 and .2 GT3s in every aspect, including daily driveability. It's just a sharper and more fun car all around, and for what I like in a car there are no compromises over the GT3, only improvements.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive a GT2 RS yet, although I've been offered four of them at varying markups. I don't pay any ADM on principle so I've turned them all down, although they've gotten below $50k over MSRP. Even at MSRP I'm not sure the higher cost of entry would bring me that much more enjoyment, but I may be wrong. Maybe it's for the best I haven't tried one yet and gotten hooked. Might as well save the money and not know what I'm missing?

For the 992 gen I may try a Turbo S cab and make a tuned monster out of it. I like what I see so far, so if the Turbo S comes out looking tempting I'll probably get one. The GTS/Turbo S make a perfect family car that I can take the kids in, and the tuning potential with the turbo engines is just too hard to resist.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Well, I can only compare the cars in stock form as I never tuned any of them, that basically makes them into a different car ... but it sounds like you'd feel the same way about the .2 GTS even without the tune.

And reacher, out of curiosity, did you ever own or extensively drive a .1 GTS?

The folks I have spoken to who have driven both tend to favor the .1 over the .2, willing to give up a little power for a NA manual GTS.
I considered buying one as a DD and in the end decided against it because of 991 overload, but I'm sure that would also be a blast to drive, especially if one added a tune and cats.

I'm not sure why Porsche can't offer ventilated Alcantara like other brands .
Old 02-20-2019, 03:02 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Well, I can only compare the cars in stock form as I never tuned any of them, that basically makes them into a different car ... but it sounds like you'd feel the same way about the .2 GTS even without the tune.

And reacher, out of curiosity, did you ever own or extensively drive a .1 GTS?

The folks I have spoken to who have driven both tend to favor the .1 over the .2, willing to give up a little power for a NA manual GTS.
I considered buying one as a DD and in the end decided against it because of 991 overload, but I'm sure that would also be a blast to drive, especially if one added a tune and cats.

I'm not sure why Porsche can't offer ventilated Alcantara like other brands .
You're right, I really loved the stock .2 GTS from the first test drive. I didn't expect to even like it, because I had test driven a .2 S and I was bored to tears and didn't like anything about it. I didn't like the power delivery, the handling, the steering, or really much about it. The GTS had something special that was different, and it just worked for me immediately. So yes, I liked it stock, but I wanted more power, and now it's even more enjoyable and wild, and I get wheel spin all over the place. I have almost 5k miles on it now and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. That's why I love that Porsche makes so many different variants of the 911, people like different things!

As for the .1 GTS, honestly (and I know this is sacrilege) I'm just not a fan of most naturally aspirated Porsches besides the GT cars. I haven't tried the .1 GTS specifically, but the NA cars I have tried have left me wanting more power, and I'm not as big of a fan of the non-GT NA sound in 911s as many people are. For the 997 generation I tried multiple NA variants and just couldn't do it, so I ended up with a 997TT instead. I'm a turbo kind of guy at heard, my NA GT cars are the only exception. (And my Huracan, but I didn't keep that long.)
Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

This is why RL is great.

OP, while I haven’t been as fortunate as you, I’ve also been through more modern Porsche sports cars than I should have in the past 3 years, two 991’s and two 981’s, ironically none of which you had....

2014 GT3
2016 GT4
2016 Boxster Spyder
2018 GT3 Touring

I now have the Spyder and the Touring and adore them both. The GT4, which I spec’d and bought new, didn’t live up to my (too high?) expectations, yet the Spyder is my favorite despite havinb a lot in common with it. I suppose the Spyder just looks and sounds so damn good and makes you feel more exposed to the environment.

I miss the 991.1 GT3 for its rawness (including the chatter at idle) and the screaming high pitched top end, and yes, even the PDK-S, which was fun in spirited driving on street and great on track.

Would love to try a 911 R sometime. But if I had one I feel like I’d be too afraid to put miles on it. I suppose that’s why I got the Touring, which is as close of a clone of one.

I’m drawn to have or at least try out someday a 987 Cayman R manual. I did have a base 987 Cayman manual all too briefly, and while it was underpowered, it was perhaps the most go-kart like driving experience I ever had.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That was a good read. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

best read on RL in a while, thanks for that

btw, jealous as hell of your choices over the past 3 years

keep buying and posting your thoughts!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Best read in awhile on RL. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: 991 Musings and Meanderings