Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(PIC Heavy) Detailed Designs Auto Spa knocking it out of the park on my .2 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts
Default (PIC Heavy) Detailed Designs Auto Spa knocking it out of the park on my .2 GT3RS

I need to give Jean Claude and his crew at Detailed Designs Auto Spa a huge shout out for their tireless work in getting my GT3 RS all dialed in with PPF and Modesta coatings. I have always used the guys at DDAS for my car detailing needs even back to when he was first starting out detailing cars at peoples homes. He always did one of the best jobs out there. So when I got my new GT3 RS I was already talking to JC about getting this car done by him. When I got home on delivery day I popped the hood and noticed some very bad sanding marks once I raised the front hood to get some stuff out of the front. These marks were obviously from when the car was being finished at the factory. These marks were not visible when the hood was closed. Open the hood and they were immediately visible. I was really worried about this area because it is such a small area where any little mistake could require a respray of the hood or a replacement hood. I got the car to JC and immediately he gave me his thoughts on it what it would take to get the hood dialed in with no issues. He was in contact with the dealer to make sure the process he would use would be up to the dealer and Porsches standards so the hood would not need to be replaced. Through these conversations and some videos he produced about the process he was given the go ahead. I can't say enough about end result. You can't tell there were any marks ever on the hood and from JC's words it was a lot more work than he thought. By him taking the extra steps to consult with Porsche on this matter the hood is now perfect as is the rest of the car. Detailed Designs knocked this PPF install and Modesta Coating of the car out of the park. So glad to have sent my car there and I would highly recommend their work.

Sanding marks on the hood

Another shot of the sanding marks

Sanding Marks

Finished product from Detailed Designs

Sanding marks are now gone

Finished shots with no sanding marks

All shiny and ready to drive

Fully PPF on the rear wing

No seams or edges are visible on the Weissach Package roof and A-pillar

All smiles driving a clean GT3 RS home
Old 02-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Really nice car and Detailed Designs does exceptional work.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:27 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks great, Seth! You're car is gorgeous and look forward to seeing in person at the Spring event.

DD has done some nice work that I've seen and appreciate what JC has done to support washing cars at Spring Smokies. He showed up last Spring with washing supplies and jumped in to help me wash and dry my car.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:03 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks good Seth. See you in a few months at the Smokies

Tal
Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 PM
goldberg
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Fantastic colour scheme. Looks brilliant. More pics! This thread is no where as pic heavy as i thought it was going to be
Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for highlighting this "defect" coming from the factory. Did the fix involve reapplication of clear-coat at the affected hood edges?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Thanks for highlighting this "defect" coming from the factory. Did the fix involve reapplication of clear-coat at the affected hood edges?
No, no reapplication of the clear coat was performed. When I discovered the defect from the factory I was pretty adamant on the hood not being resprayed with a clear to fix this small issue. If the hood was going to be resprayed then I wanted a new one.

Detailed Designs measured the thickness of the clear on the hood to verify how much they had to work with and to ensure during the process they didn't take too much clear coat away exposing the carbon. I don't know the full process they used to remove the sanding marks but I know part of it involved 4000 grit sandpaper and lots of patience. Honestly I was skeptical it could be done without requiring a respray of the hood but they pulled it off perfectly.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I love JC’s level of ‘crazy’ ��

car looks awesome bud!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
No, no reapplication of the clear coat was performed. When I discovered the defect from the factory I was pretty adamant on the hood not being resprayed with a clear to fix this small issue. If the hood was going to be resprayed then I wanted a new one.

Detailed Designs measured the thickness of the clear on the hood to verify how much they had to work with and to ensure during the process they didn't take too much clear coat away exposing the carbon. I don't know the full process they used to remove the sanding marks but I know part of it involved 4000 grit sandpaper and lots of patience. Honestly I was skeptical it could be done without requiring a respray of the hood but they pulled it off perfectly.
That is some labor of love. Kudos!!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Retail price on 4000 grit can be $15 a sheet, have sanded out clear coat cracks before, the skill is in knowing when to quit.
Sounds like these guys are not sparing any expense or skill to ensure that you get only the best!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:57 AM
J5isalive2
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Seth, will this car be making an appearance at DCRA?
Old 02-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
Seth, will this car be making an appearance at DCRA?
Yes should have it out at the next event on the 28th
Old 03-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Really nice car and Detailed Designs does exceptional work.
Thanks

Originally Posted by C2Spin
Looks great, Seth! You're car is gorgeous and look forward to seeing in person at the Spring event.

DD has done some nice work that I've seen and appreciate what JC has done to support washing cars at Spring Smokies. He showed up last Spring with washing supplies and jumped in to help me wash and dry my car.
After a calling my buddy Rob @ Sonax USA, they were kind enough to donate all of those supplies for the event as it supported the CFF. I had a blast assisting everyone that Friday night with washes.

Originally Posted by goldberg
Fantastic colour scheme. Looks brilliant. More pics! This thread is no where as pic heavy as i thought it was going to be
How about a video of the before/after?

Originally Posted by CRex
As Seth mentioned, the major concern was to not repaint the CF hood. A repaint has its place but it's not on a new $20,000 hood on a limited production RS car. The idea was to do just about whatever it took to keep that hood free of a respray.

This^
The process was using a 1" rotary to cut and refine the edge. The defects were more intense than appeared and ate up some significant time. The 4k paper was used on the dust nibs on the surface of the hood.

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
I love JC’s level of ‘crazy’ ��

car looks awesome bud!
Hurrd that Phil.

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
Retail price on 4000 grit can be $15 a sheet, have sanded out clear coat cracks before, the skill is in knowing when to quit.
Sounds like these guys are not sparing any expense or skill to ensure that you get only the best!
You get it.

Quick Reply: (PIC Heavy) Detailed Designs Auto Spa knocking it out of the park on my .2 GT3RS