Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Delivery - Touring in a ... TOURING!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Silver wheels to mimic the wheels in that retro period when Gulf Orange was first available
Originally Posted by pitt911
bongrats
we need more close up pics
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Congrats- Some close-ups would be nice
of Interior?

Gulf Orange accent stitiching, white dials, Bose, LWBs
...including an array of electronic countermeasure and chaf made from cheez-its crumbs
The struggle is real

Last edited by Agent_Orange; 02-17-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Default PEC TIME - SKILLS, LAUNCH CONTROL, NO BLINKERS

I have no photos of my track experience. I wasn't even thinking about photos, my instructor, Aaron, and I were focused on the exercises.

Instructor Aaron walks me toward the black GT3RS that would be our drive, explains the rules of engagement, the "no vomit" intentions, and how we start out.

The first exercise was the round skid pad with water flowing, then the slalom course, then LAUNCH CONTROL, then a short track designed with an off camber polished concrete surface. Baby steps
Aaron sensed I enjoyed LC so we performed 7 Launch Controls - the guy was tailoring the event to my likings and Launch Control almost sold me on a PDK.
I inquired about clutch wear on PDK after LC. Instructor Aaaron said they do it day-in-day-out here and the PDK is robust and lasts very long time (Some Ferraris get only 7-8 LCs before a new clutch)

After these individual skills we put them together and go on the full track. Aaron mentions car spacing safety and he will call out the turns, apex, braking points to fast track us. The first turn is a high speed shallow apex leading into a 90 degree Right hander. We prep for the sharp turn, Aarons belts out breaking point prior I correctly apply brakes and he states "Turn right tight"
OUT OF INSTINCT I HIT THE RHS blinker , and in quick wit, Aaron compliments the safety of my blinker but explains we don't need them on the track.
We began laughing out loud !!

Seriously though, I learned so MUCH about where I am on the skill level, Aaron kept me focused on my hand movements, my throttle input, braking points and turn in to accomplish the goal of smooth driving and where I could improve.
High feedback learning experience that really helped me learn what I need to concentrate on to improve. In the back "S" there is an uphill that actually requires braking to set up a light front end for turning grip, where I was accelerating on my first pass through the S. The track has many technical aspects

This was a learning experience that was fun and even at the end when Aaron drove a hot lap it was completely focused on improving my skills as well as having pure fun.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
I have no photos of my track experience. I wasn't even thinking about photos, my instructor, Aaron, and I were focused on the exercises.

Instructor Aaron walks me toward the black GT3RS that would be our drive, explains the rules of engagement, the "no vomit" intentions, and how we start out.

The first exercise was the round skid pad with water flowing, then the slalom course, then LAUNCH CONTROL, then a short track designed with an off camber polished concrete surface. Baby steps
Aaron sensed I enjoyed LC so we performed 7 Launch Controls - the guy was tailoring the event to my likings and Launch Control almost sold me on a PDK.
I inquired about clutch wear on PDK after LC. Instructor Aaaron said they do it day-in-day-out here and the PDK is robust and lasts very long time (Some Ferraris get only 7-8 LCs before a new clutch)

After these individual skills we put them together and go on the full track. Aaron mentions car spacing safety and he will call out the turns, apex, braking points to fast track us. The first turn is a high speed shallow apex leading into a 90 degree Right hander. We prep for the sharp turn, Aarons belts out breaking point prior I correctly apply brakes and he states "Turn right tight"
OUT OF INSTINCT I HIT THE RHS blinker , and in quick wit, Aaron compliments the safety of my blinker but explains we don't need them on the track.
We began laughing out loud !!

Seriously though, I learned so MUCH about where I am on the skill level, Aaron kept me focused on my hand movements, my throttle input, braking points and turn in to accomplish the goal of smooth driving and where I could improve.
High feedback learning experience that really helped me learn what I need to concentrate on to improve. In the back "S" there is an uphill that actually requires braking to set up a light front end for turning grip, where I was accelerating on my first pass through the S. The track has many technical aspects

This was a learning experience that was fun and even at the end when Aaron drove a hot lap it was completely focused on improving my skills as well as having pure fun.

-
love your car color .......looks like a long time keeper. By the way who ever said you can’t launch a F car more than 7 times is full of you know what. Can’t just replace the clutch you have to change out the entire DCT. Never had one issue with my 458 zero MTC issues the same as my GT cars. Long term I do trust Porsche more than F on reliability.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:53 PM
ruuddevil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics please!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:00 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Hotel Kimpton was great, You can definitely tell this is the Porsche Hotel,; perfect location, great view, nice beds.
Besides, their Porsche accessory shop was well stocked with a model of the GT3 Touring in almost Gulf Orange 019 so what is not to like!
Had a slight difficulty with valet who insisted he must drive it, seemed new, so I extended the customary $20 and he accepted yet he still insisted. I politely repeated "this was a new car and I would prefer you not drive it" , Didn't budge, I got out and took a few steps towards the front counter and he immediatley acquiesced. They only have the few spaces up front so I understand needing to be tidy about parking cars, but it took less time to park than argue

Originally Posted by Maverick787
love your car color .......looks like a long time keeper. By the way who ever said you can’t launch a F car more than 7 times is full of you know what. Can’t just replace the clutch you have to change out the entire DCT. Never had one issue with my 458 zero MTC issues the same as my GT cars. Long term I do trust Porsche more than F on reliability.
I thought that the Scuderia did have early failures of the single clutch Superfast system, I could be wrong

Old 02-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

This car is just attracted to Orange things ... Like Home Depot where I needed a few things to install TracWrap.
Things did not go as planned for Tracwrap install, I tried the hardest part first, the nose as it was the most important and I didn't get continuous pieces and some areas were way overlapped
Atlanta in February can have variable weather, unfortunately the day I installed Xpel tracwrap it started raining
In a moment of practicality I covered the headlights too

Last edited by Agent_Orange; 02-19-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Some of the roads just West of the PEC Atlanta are really bad. So bad that you must have something really worth it to go there.

Well, just 500M away is the First Chik Fil A in America and the only one open 24/7.
Nina's flight arrived 5 hours late the night before and this was the only option but was really great as it had a few local menu items.

Look at that Tracwrap, you just can't hide ugly!

The First CFA in America

Last edited by Agent_Orange; 02-19-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:34 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Classic!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Finally we depart late and get on the road.

A few things are remarkable and I gather observations
- The clutch is as light as every one has said but the transmission is very smooth and easy to engage.
- 2nd/4th seem better spaced in the Touring than the GT4
- The Touring Transmission is more akin to my 997.2 GT3 than the GT4
- The extended fuel tank gives you a 500 mile range
- On the GT4 the console button is labelled A/C OFF, on the Touring is is A/C ON
- I'm getting over 20mpg despite attempts to thwart fuel mileage
- The TOURING requires a bit of restraint to drive

Shortly thereafter we cross a time zone and enter Alabama - there are a few things odd here too!
- The people (as in Georgia too) are polite beyond stereotype
- EVERY Dodge product in Alabama wants to race me
- there are a lot of BMWs in Alabama and Mississipi (ironically Alabama has a Mercedes factory, S Carolina has a BMW factory)

I had one such BMW dog me and moving right didn't cause him to depart so we just pulled over to let him by. .... A few miles later, we caught up to him ....

Blue light special!

Last edited by Agent_Orange; 02-19-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Camoflauge!

Old 02-19-2019, 03:07 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

You can not hide from the bugs...

This car color, Gulf Orange 019, attracts them almost as much as yellow

Old 02-19-2019, 03:21 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

"WE WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS"
- uh, no

Finally we take a break and have lunch ... wait for it .... At Chik Fil A

The local kids soccer team passes us as we exit the car, they stare at the car as they walk and I get a real shaming from the mouth of babes
"Why is there all that plastic tape on it? yuk!"

LOL - I deserved that

Last edited by Agent_Orange; 06-03-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Epic thread and journey!! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Love the car and color
Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Congrats on new Orange. Thanks for sharing the fun!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

awesome birthday gift and a great story. I would have given a quick honk as I passed the BM...lol

Quick Reply: American Delivery - Touring in a ... TOURING!