Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease-only on .2 3RS

Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lease-only on .2 3RS

I was at a dealer yesterday and learnt an interesting bit of news - turns out for the second Euro batch of .2 3RS they are getting, they were told that they all had to be sold on lease deals. Not sure if this is Switzerland only, but an interesting move. Supposedly it is to deter flippers, but it is deterring me, too: might be the final nail in the coffin for my order. I'm not enthusiastic about being forced to borrow money from Porsche Finance at 4.8% in these times - it adds a fair bit to the price in real terms. Grr.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Lexus did the same on the LFA years ago

It's actually smart
Old 02-15-2019, 01:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
I was at a dealer yesterday and learnt an interesting bit of news - turns out for the second Euro batch of .2 3RS they are getting, they were told that they all had to be sold on lease deals. Not sure if this is Switzerland only, but an interesting move. Supposedly it is to deter flippers, but it is deterring me, too: might be the final nail in the coffin for my order. I'm not enthusiastic about being forced to borrow money from Porsche Finance at 4.8% in these times - it adds a fair bit to the price in real terms. Grr.
That is annoying, Dave. In Europe, the dealers don't charge over the sticker price, right? Maybe this is a way to make it more profitable. Don't think that's the plan in the US, where charging over sticker is common...
Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Possibly.. apparently this was the case for the 2RS as well, but didn’t apply to the first batch .2 3RS.

I was there looking at a ridiculously-loaded 0km Lizard Green WP RS they had in stock. It is for sale for MSRP (no ADM allowed here) but the options pushed the sticker so high I passed anyway. He pointed out that once I take into account the price increase for the PF (!!!) and the additional leasing costs for a second batch car, it might work out a better deal.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I seriously doubt that order came from Porsche, flippers only increased brand value and in no way damaged it. Either way they should do what Ford is doing with their GT, but with the right of first refusal in case you need to sell.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Well, 3 different dealers said the same thing now. It will be interesting to see what the lease terms are but they way it was explained was that it was a way of making people keep them for a certain time.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't see how a lease would prevent one from flipping the car. I've paid sold a 997 Turbo and recently a .2 GT3 while making lease payments. In fact if I'm not sure if I'll keep the car for long, I'd lease the car so I don't pay all the sales tax upfront.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:09 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I don't see how a lease would prevent one from flipping the car. I've paid sold a 997 Turbo and recently a .2 GT3 while making lease payments. In fact if I'm not sure if I'll keep the car for long, I'd lease the car so I don't pay all the sales tax upfront.
What happens if there is a prepayment penalty?, let's say if you tried to pay it off within a year (some third party leasing companies do this...it's in the fine print).
Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Indeed.. Porsche would be in control of the terms of the lease. It won’t be open to 3rd party lease firms.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
What happens if there is a prepayment penalty?, let's say if you tried to pay it off within a year (some third party leasing companies do this...it's in the fine print).
OP mentioned Porsche is requiring the 3RS be leased so I assumed the lease will go through Porsche Financial and I'm only referring to dealing with Porsche Financial, and in the US.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
OP mentioned Porsche is requiring the 3RS be leased so I assumed the lease will go through Porsche Financial and I'm only referring to dealing with Porsche Financial, and in the US.
I understood that. Things can change with leases even with Porsche financial (I have no inside knowledge. I leased two lambo's through porsche financial and there was no prepayment penalty).

One guy on the ferrari forums said that when he bought 812 and fully paid for, he had to sign a piece of paper allowing the dealer to be a lienholder for one year. That way dealer had to sign off on sale before lien can be replaced (perfectly fine to do this btw).

On flip side; 918 owner sells allocation for gt2rs for $125K over. Second buyer fully spec's car. Car gets delivered and 918 owner takes possession through a lease. Makes one payment and then pays it off with the proceeds from second owner. (all with permission/knowledge of dealer).
Old 02-15-2019, 04:16 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Indeed.. Porsche would be in control of the terms of the lease. It won’t be open to 3rd party lease firms.
And is there no buy out option?.....car has to be turned in at the end?....in the US usually any leased car can be purchased from the bank at any time during the lease....
Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
And is there no buy out option?.....car has to be turned in at the end?....in the US usually any leased car can be purchased from the bank at any time during the lease....
im sure there is
Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 PM
DealMarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the interest rate is higher now....like around 6%.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Makes no sense, now the market is pretty much saturated?
Just pay the VAT and I’ll leave mine there haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lease-only on .2 3RS