Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 dB 991.2 GT3RS what are the quietest tips avail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default 95 dB 991.2 GT3RS what are the quietest tips avail?

California nd European drivers may know; with a bone stock 991.2 GT3RS with little turn pipes, can I pass?
I'm looking at Zonder and Charade in France, they have 95 dB and 90dB, I assume I can write off the 90 dB.

Schould I scrap Zolder, or its OK?

Zandvoort is under 88dB till 7PM and 86dB after.. Scrap?

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 02-16-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche Sport Driving School lists events at Zandvoort including a Master RS event, so presumably they manage it - maybe ping them a mail and see if they know if it works or not.. porsche@trackexperience.nl
Old 02-15-2019, 01:54 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
California nd European drivers may know; with a bone stock 991.2 GT3RS with little turn pipes, can I pass?
I'm looking at Zonder and Charade in France, they have 95 dB and 90dB, I assume I can write off the 90 dB.

Have done Zandvoort and Zolder in a 991 RS.1 with stock exhaust and no issues at all with noise I would think no issue on the 2.RS
Old 02-15-2019, 03:00 PM
DealMarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracks with DB limits make no sense to me.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I have to be careful with even 98db limits in the UK with 991.2 3rs. I figure out where the sensors are and short-shift and/or wait towards end of day to just let it rip everywhere and cross my fingers! Some days I'm fine; some days I see the black flag.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

From what distance is it being measured? The .2 GT3 RS is louder inside and quieter outside than the .1 GT3 RS, but all 991 GT3s we have measured at 50ft and WOT break over 100dB on the stock exhaust. At 100ft the dB number goes 3dB down on these same cars. At 25ft, the number goes up 3dB compared to 50ft on the 991 GT3s.

I have turn downs from FabSpeed, and they only attenuate 2dB (sometimes 3db).

JCR sells a pair of muffled tips and turn downs, that's the turn downs set with the most sound reduction I have ever seen. Besides JCR's solution, I doubt there is something with more sound reduction

Do not close the valves permanetly for a track day, or even a track session, that would fry the engine. It is ok to keep ther valves closed for a few seconds while going by the sound meter, but keeping the valves closed (via electronic control, or barb wire) creates massive back pressure and the engine is not designed to handle it at full throttle.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:13 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I have purchased these from Manthey and should have them in a few weeks. Will test in late March!

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
Porsche Sport Driving School lists events at Zandvoort including a Master RS event, so presumably they manage it - maybe ping them a mail and see if they know if it works or not.. porsche@trackexperience.nl
Done.

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Have done Zandvoort and Zolder in a 991 RS.1 with stock exhaust and no issues at all with noise I would think no issue on the 2.RS
Thank you.

Originally Posted by DealMarker
Tracks with DB limits make no sense to me.

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I have to be careful with even 98db limits in the UK with 991.2 3rs. I figure out where the sensors are and short-shift and/or wait towards end of day to just let it rip everywhere and cross my fingers! Some days I'm fine; some days I see the black flag.
Thanks, I have a mail into my guy to sort out low dB UK tracks, so I can pick those that don’t.

Originally Posted by A/S
From what distance is it being measured? The .2 GT3 RS is louder inside and quieter outside than the .1 GT3 RS, but all 991 GT3s we have measured at 50ft and WOT break over 100dB on the stock exhaust. At 100ft the dB number goes 3dB down on these same cars. At 25ft, the number goes up 3dB compared to 50ft on the 991 GT3s.

I have turn downs from FabSpeed, and they only attenuate 2dB (sometimes 3db).

JCR sells a pair of muffled tips and turn downs, that's the turn downs set with the most sound reduction I have ever seen. Besides JCR's solution, I doubt there is something with more sound reduction

Do not close the valves permanetly for a track day, or even a track session, that would fry the engine. It is ok to keep ther valves closed for a few seconds while going by the sound meter, but keeping the valves closed (via electronic control, or barb wire) creates massive back pressure and the engine is not designed to handle it at full throttle.
Thanks. I rented down turn pipes at Bilsterberg. I assume the locals know what needs to be done to pass.
I’m in the process to buy some in NL for Assen, Zolder and Zandvoort.

But I also got replies from French track that are telling me it’s impossible to pass with a new RS.
Porsche Club France is unresponsive but I assume they don’t do a track day on a low dB day.

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
I have purchased these from Manthey and should have them in a few weeks. Will test in late March!

If they work, please keep me posted and get me one!!
Thank you so much!!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 937 Likes on 431 Posts

Check out our Titanium Silenced Tips, perfect for the job and will get you below the dB level required no problem.

Feature actual silencing, weight less than OEM tips and include an added benefit of not appearing like you’ve simply installed two coke cans onto your €200k car

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...d-exhaust-tips

Any questions please do feel free to ask

JC
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Romine (02-01-2021)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Would these work on an Akrapovic race exhaust? Im not sure of the db on the exhaust im putting on but i know if i manage to get to lime rock they have an issue with almost anything I’ve ever shown up with.... I usually run monticello and have stopped trying to get on lime rock for this reason
( not a track rat fyi)(2-3 days on track per year)
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Check out our Titanium Silenced Tips, perfect for the job and will get you below the dB level required no problem.

Feature actual silencing, weight less than OEM tips and include an added benefit of not appearing like you’ve simply installed two coke cans onto your €200k car

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...d-exhaust-tips

Any questions please do feel free to ask

JC
Do those fit a 997 also?

I'd love to find a product like that for a Scud. I can kinda short shift on a 3rs at right spots on a track and limp by on most tracks in the UK. On an occasional Ferrari 430/458, much harder to keep it under the noise limits; almost impossible.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:51 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 937 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Would these work on an Akrapovic race exhaust? Im not sure of the db on the exhaust im putting on but i know if i manage to get to lime rock they have an issue with almost anything I’ve ever shown up with.... I usually run monticello and have stopped trying to get on lime rock for this reason
( not a track rat fyi)(2-3 days on track per year)
Yes I believe it’s possible to install onto Akrapovic as they use the same 3 bolt flange as OEM so no issues there

Do those fit a 997 also?

I'd love to find a product like that for a Scud. I can kinda short shift on a 3rs at right spots on a track and limp by on most tracks in the UK. On an occasional Ferrari 430/458, much harder to keep it under the noise limits; almost impossible.
The beauty of the bolted tips is that it makes for a very easy swap. Our tips are lighter than OEM so there is no increase in load on the flange or fixings.

Adding additional silencers (post exhaust) is tricky otherwise as you do need to support them somehow otherwise risk damage to the exhaust through additional load and vibrations etc.

JC
Old 02-16-2019, 10:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I can only tell you what happens with the sound booth at laguna. Stock gt3 exhaust hits 96-98db at the t5 sound booth. A turnaway pipe will bring it down 4dB. Electronically forcing the valves closed brings it down 6dB.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Delete
Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Do those fit a 997 also?
Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche

The beauty of the bolted tips is that it makes for a very easy swap. Our tips are lighter than OEM so there is no increase in load on the flange or fixings.

Adding additional silencers (post exhaust) is tricky otherwise as you do need to support them somehow otherwise risk damage to the exhaust through additional load and vibrations etc.

JC
So does that mean it fits a 997?

Quick Reply: 95 dB 991.2 GT3RS what are the quietest tips avail?