Sponsored by:

Thinking about ditching my 991 turbo for a .2 gt3rs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 AM
1949ford
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about ditching my 991 turbo for a .2 gt3rs

Anyone else make the move from a 991 turbo ? Don’t get me wrong , the turbo is an amazing car , stupid fast , but I’ve just kind of grown bored with it . Then just recently went through a 4 month wait at the body shop on a lower front spoiler , due to issues Porsche was having with quality control related to the part supplier . That was the nail in the coffin that I would part with the turbo.
I had been considering leaving Porsche for something more exotic , my turbo is just rather dull in the looks dept. But I was contemplating giving a .2 3rs a chance before going away from Porsche to another manufacturer.I still will likely get a more exotic sports car down the road , but maybe the 3rs will keep me in a Porsche as a separate car . I haven’t had a chance to drive a .3rs but it seems like it would be a much more raw , exilerating driving experience, not to mention the beautiful sound from the n/a motor(my turbo sounds horrible considering the performance)
Anyone daily driving their .2 3rs ? I have a high tolerance for what I could live with daily driving wise . Look forward to your replies
Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

Well , I have both a 2014 TTS and a 2019 3RS WP .
i will say that the tts is a amazing car ; the more best around car but the RS is a more special car and certainly feels more exotic .
looks: no contest , the RS looks much more aggressive escpailly with all the exposed carbon fiber and the ti cage ,huge wing and the wider rear tires.
engine: RS sounds much better but TTS is faster , I miss the torque hit i used to get in my tts.i am getting a Switchpath exhaust to further give it an exotic sound.
suspension: the tts rides better , the RS is stiff but rides nice , I was shocked on how it rode as I read everywhere that it was really stiff but to my surprise it is pretty tolerable.
Interior : pcm is better (my tts was 991.1) , tts looks very elegant , RS with the Alcantara , roll cage and LWB gives a much more Motorsport-ish eperience and is much more exotic.

both are lovely cars but the RS is the more exotic experience , I can’t wait for my incoming GT2RS !
Sherif

Originally Posted by 1949ford
Anyone else make the move from a 991 turbo ? Don’t get me wrong , the turbo is an amazing car , stupid fast , but I’ve just kind of grown bored with it . Then just recently went through a 4 month wait at the body shop on a lower front spoiler , due to issues Porsche was having with quality control related to the part supplier . That was the nail in the coffin that I would part with the turbo.
I had been considering leaving Porsche for something more exotic , my turbo is just rather dull in the looks dept. But I was contemplating giving a .2 3rs a chance before going away from Porsche to another manufacturer.I still will likely get a more exotic sports car down the road , but maybe the 3rs will keep me in a Porsche as a separate car . I haven’t had a chance to drive a .3rs but it seems like it would be a much more raw , exilerating driving experience, not to mention the beautiful sound from the n/a motor(my turbo sounds horrible considering the performance)
Anyone daily driving their .2 3rs ? I have a high tolerance for what I could live with daily driving wise . Look forward to your replies
Old 02-13-2019, 03:44 AM
manolis
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Am in similar dilemma at present....have tts looking to change to 3rs.2. Driving a regular 4.0 3 and stepping back into the TTS is having me question my thinking. As a DD the punch of the tts is hard to top. I must wonder is the 3rs's power much better than a 3...and, will it get me over the turbo hit.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:11 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manolis
Am in similar dilemma at present....have tts looking to change to 3rs.2. Driving a regular 4.0 3 and stepping back into the TTS is having me question my thinking. As a DD the punch of the tts is hard to top. I must wonder is the 3rs's power much better than a 3...and, will it get me over the turbo hit.
no the RS power is very similar to the 3 , I think the diffrence is minute and will be only be evident at high speeds and hi rpm due to the ram air effect of the rear ducts
Old 02-13-2019, 04:32 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

OP, have you considered a GT2 RS? Best of both worlds.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 AM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by hashash

no the RS power is very similar to the 3 , I think the diffrence is minute and will be only be evident at high speeds and hi rpm due to the ram air effect of the rear ducts
This is what has me a little apprehensive about having the 3 as a TTS DD substitute. I guess it becomes a matter of accepting that less maneuvers are possible in a 3 whereas with TTS nothing is a problem....and I mean nothing. On a circuit the on tap boost becomes less an issue and that's where the 3 will make up for that. But it I guess ultimately it all comes down to horses for courses and accepting certain compromises when you take a step back in Hp and torques. Doesn't make the decision any easier when the heart yearns for a 3rs. Sometime the grass is not always greener the other side of the street.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Why not get a 2RS , i saw this thing accelerate ....Wow it will smoke a TTS easily !!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I will preface this by saying I love turbo cars, and I currently have a tuned 991.2 GTS with over 500 WHP/TQ, pretty close to stock turbo power levels in a lighter package. I love the power, and it's addictive. I also have a 991.2 GT3, which I am trading in for a 991.2 GT3 RS today. So while I can't compare the RS just yet since I don't have it, I have compared my GTS back to back with my GT3. I'll say that even though the GT3 obviously doesn't have turbo torque, it feels surprisingly quick. I'm always shocked at how much faster it feels than it should, and while you may think you'll have to give up certain maneuvers in traffic because the power isn't there, I think you'll find that it's less than you think. And you'll want to drive the RS like a maniac in other ways, because it adds fun in other places.

I've also found the GT3 to be very easy to live with on a daily basis, and while the RS may be slightly less so, I doubt it will be by much. If you have a high tolerance I wouldn't worry at all.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I would get any Porsche GT car over a Turbo. Turbos just lack that special sense of occasion to me.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Have not owned a 911 Turbo but test drove a 2014 Turbo S expecting to love it. What a let down. Sure, it’s luxurious, fast, smooth. But a snooze-fest compared to any flavor of GT3. Immediately afterward, I thought, “OK, guess I got that out of my system.”

My DD is an Audi RS7. Now THAT’S a Turbo to use as a DD. Or a Panamera Turbo, or even a Cayenne Turbo.

A 911 should be about a fun visceral drive. Trying to find one that can do everything else as a DD too involves too many compromises.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
A 911 should be about a fun visceral drive. Trying to find one that can do everything else as a DD too involves too many compromises.
I'm not sure I totally agree. My GTS, especially with a tune, is an extremely capable and fun car, and with fewer compromises than I expected. Yes, not quite as visceral as a GT car, but it's really impressed me. I'd actually go so far as to say that between the GT3 and the GTS, the GTS is more fun to drive overall. It was definitely more fun to drive than the Turbo I test drove, while still being equally capable as a daily driver.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

If your intended use of the car is as a DD then I don't think the .2 3RS fits the bill. You can make it happen (heck one can DD an Aventador SVJ if they so wish) but it isn't a practical choice. From its looks, ride, passenger capacity, storage and optimal performance band, the .2 3RS just doesn't quite fit. I own a .1 GT3 which hardly sees the street for the reasons above. Buy a .2 3RS if you must, but there are other more practical sports cars for DD duties.

Last edited by Akunob; 02-14-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I have a '12 TTS and '19 3RS. When I picked up the 3RS I was considering selling/trading-in the TTS, but both cars are so different. I love the rush of the TTS and couldn't give that up so I kept it.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

I traded an 18 GT3 for a 17 TTS due to being a better DD car for my driving needs. Wish I could have kept both, but I have a manual 993 cab I have had for 20 years I can't part with it.......it is raw enough for a weekend jaunt her and there........

GT3's low end torque is good with higher revs but you will be quickly exceeding the speed limit around town.......low end torque in 991.2 is so much better than 991.1 GT3....

TTS in sport plus mode is very sharp in its handling and engine/transmission responsiveness.....but I do drive around in sport most of the time..........even in normal mode the torque is fine in DD situations.......

If you can only have one car the TTS is the most versatile DD and track car and the one to have....GT cars are great track cars and good ones at that.........also GT cars are not as good in the rain as the TT/TTS all wheel drive and the turbo punch feeling and quick speed is quite addictive.........and the exhaust sound is good enough and not annoying over time or a daily driver.........
Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 PM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by hashash
Why not get a 2RS , i saw this thing accelerate ....Wow it will smoke a TTS easily !!
I have a 2rs already - was thinking of changing tts for a 3rs.2 to do the dd duty mainly due to time owned and mileage on tts now.

After driving 4.0 3 I was looking to be able to say I can live w/o tts but now i'm not sure if i can.

Quick Reply: Thinking about ditching my 991 turbo for a .2 gt3rs