Sponsored by:

My Lichtgrun GT3 and Miami Blue RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
What sort of contractor was used to put it down? Any special capabilities?
I’ve had it done a couple times (2 different houses) and I used 2 different garage floor companies. The last time I did it was through Granite Garage Floors (I think they’re a chain) and they did a great job. I also knew the guy doing it.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ad2330
Are you running an aftermarket suspension on the GT3? Looks great.
Stock suspension. Just has a track alignment and corner balance.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reacher
Just got home with my RS. 90 miles to the dealer in the GT3, 90 miles back in the RS. I still have to put some more miles on it, but I was surprised at how different it felt from the GT3. The stock sound was better, and I'm actually leaning towards not doing anything to it, like you. Time will tell, but I think it sounds really good.

The other thing I noticed was just how much sharper everything was. Everything was more immediate and precise. It felt like it was a nimbler, lighter, and more planted car. I took turns with confidence I never had in the GT3. The suspension was stiffer, which was expected. The most unexpected thing about the RS was that it actually felt more comfortable to drive than the GT3. I drove it home with sports mode selected on the suspension the whole way, over some rough roads, and everything felt better than the GT3 in normal suspension mode. Not sure how that's possible, but it actually felt like it would be a better daily driver than the regular GT3.
i drove the RS to work yesterday and the GT3 today. The RS suspension is definitely stiffer when both cars are in normal suspension mode. The PDK made the RS easier to drive in traffic, but I think that is the only thing that would make it a better daily driver over the GT3. I guess the higher wing gives you better visibility too. However, the GT3 is softer and a much better daily driver in my opinion. I also found the GT3 more fun to drive due to the manual transmission. I really don’t have to take it to the track to enjoy it even though that is where I enjoy it the most. The RS is kind of boring to drive at normal street speeds. You have to ring it out and drive WOT to really enjoy it. That can only be done at the track. For those of you who don’t track it, you don’t know what you’re missing. I guess you can speed and take back roads too...
I do love the aggressive looks of the RS better.

PORSCHE, PLEASE LISTEN TO ME: PLEASE MAKE A MANUAL GT3 RS AGAIN !
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

i drove the RS to work yesterday and the GT3 today. The RS suspension is definitely stiffer when both cars are in normal suspension mode. The PDK made the RS easier to drive in traffic, but I think that is the only thing that would make it a better daily driver over the GT3. I guess the higher wing gives you better visibility too. However, the GT3 is softer and a much better daily driver in my opinion. I also found the GT3 more fun to drive due to the manual transmission. I really don’t have to take it to the track to enjoy it even though that is where I enjoy it the most. The RS is kind of boring to drive at normal street speeds. You have to ring it out and drive WOT to really enjoy it. That can only be done at the track. For those of you who don’t track it, you don’t know what you’re missing. I guess you can speed and take back roads too...

This ^
Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like Carlos did his magic on your car

Tomato'd!

Nice combo!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This just proves that it's important to find the car that's the right fit for you, which is really hard to do with these cars since you can't easily test drive them. I took the RS out again yesterday and it reaffirmed my initial thoughts. I still find it much more comfortable than the GT3. Even though it's stiffer, the suspension behaves and feels better. I also find it much more engaging than my GT3 at normal speeds (keep in mind my GT3 was PDK like the RS, so apples to apples), I guess because there's more inputs to process with the stiffer ride, more direct handling, more noise, etc. So while I shared the sentiment that the GT3 could be kind of boring to drive in traffic, with the RS I don't find that to be the case. My 991.2 GTS used to be my favorite car, even over the GT3, but now it's definitely the RS, lol.

People complain about Porsche making so many variants of the 911, but I love that. People want and appreciate different things, and when you get in a 911 that feels just right there's nothing like it!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think outsiders who do not know the Porsche brand well would complain about the number of 911 variants. I personally find it to be amazing that Porsche can take one basic chassis and create so many distinct driving experiences with all of the variants.

My good friend has a .2 TTS and a .2 GT3. Initially his wife thought it was "pointless" to own two of the same car. However - an educated Porschephile would know that, while the control interfaces and interior spaces are same/similar, the two cars provide a completely different experience. To me - this is where a Porsche 911 variant shines. I think it is really unique/special that you can get into two of the same variants of one chassis yet have a jekyl/hyde driving experience. To me, the familiarity of the layouts makes you instantly comfortable in either car and appreciate more what Porsche has been able to create.

Anyhow - sorry for the tangent but I love the Porsche brand and what they have accomplished in the 911.

- Chris.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
+1 Gorgeous cars Ky. Gotta love MB on the RS!
Did you get yours yet?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reacher
This just proves that it's important to find the car that's the right fit for you, which is really hard to do with these cars since you can't easily test drive them. I took the RS out again yesterday and it reaffirmed my initial thoughts. I still find it much more comfortable than the GT3. Even though it's stiffer, the suspension behaves and feels better. I also find it much more engaging than my GT3 at normal speeds (keep in mind my GT3 was PDK like the RS, so apples to apples), I guess because there's more inputs to process with the stiffer ride, more direct handling, more noise, etc. So while I shared the sentiment that the GT3 could be kind of boring to drive in traffic, with the RS I don't find that to be the case. My 991.2 GTS used to be my favorite car, even over the GT3, but now it's definitely the RS, lol.

People complain about Porsche making so many variants of the 911, but I love that. People want and appreciate different things, and when you get in a 911 that feels just right there's nothing like it!
I respect your opinion.
I don’t want this to be a PDK / Manual debate.
I agree with you though...if I had a choice between a GT3 PDK and an RS PDK, there wouldn’t be a question for me - RS all the way.
Well see how it goes the more I drive them. Still early.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Any one know the best place to get Lichtgrün seat belts made? The stitching in my car is acid green so I guess the belts could be that too. They are currently black.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The 918 style acid green border on black would be ideal but I could not make it work from Porsche as a CXX, and aftermarket I got a lot of resistance based on DOT regulations and insurance issues for non model specific applications.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Why - thats why the GT3 manual exists and the GTS is an even better daily driver than a GT3.

As a rule I don't look for enjoyment on public roads as there are so few places to stretch any modern Porsche without being dangerous. Lots of ways to enjoy a RS outside of a track

Hill climbs, tarmac rally, point to point and track itself even cars and coffee can be fun (for discussion). My personal view is Porsche should keep the RS focussed, its what defines it and why it feels and behaves in different fashion to the GT3.

Sometime a point of difference can be a point of focus too. I have to say I find my RS engaging pretty much most of the time - in some ways it has been a bit of a revelation. I certainly liked the GT3 but it really didn't do it for me in the way the RS does and like reacher I preferred my GTS over the GT3

Last edited by groundhog; 07-21-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Agate
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 26 Posts

What a great comparison point and dream garage you have! Congrats!

I find my 991.2 GT3 manual to be the game changer I was hoping from having moved from a GT4 to 991.1 GT3. I just found the PDK boring unless gunning it, which of course meant driving on public roads wasn't as engaging/enjoyable at normal speeds as the GT4.

The GT3 has given me the best of both worlds (although still too fast for public roads)

Love both of your cars!
Old 07-22-2019, 08:59 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Agate
What a great comparison point and dream garage you have! Congrats!

I find my 991.2 GT3 manual to be the game changer I was hoping from having moved from a GT4 to 991.1 GT3. I just found the PDK boring unless gunning it, which of course meant driving on public roads wasn't as engaging/enjoyable at normal speeds as the GT4.

The GT3 has given me the best of both worlds (although still too fast for public roads)

Love both of your cars!
Pdk is only boring in regular cars and the rs is not a regular car!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just Picked Up a Miami Blue RS

Tracked my 997.2 GT3 20k miles. Amazing car. I always wanted an RS. Was on the list for one and changed it to a non-RS 991.2 manual. Love the car, but saw this Tuesday and couldn’t “not” buy it. These cars looks so good in Miami blue. Or any color!

This car has a matte wrap. I have never seen a non-gloss wrap. I really like it. No fingerprints and gives it such a different look.

The following 2 users liked this post by 911GT3:
BlazinPond (12-13-2019), FourT6and2 (12-14-2019)

Quick Reply: My Lichtgrun GT3 and Miami Blue RS