Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Thought on oil change? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1128817-thought-on-oil-change.html)

n d 02-11-2019 10:02 PM

Thought on oil change?

This being my first Porsche I知 not sure on what the proper break in oil change consensus is with the rennlist crowd. Dealer told me 1 year this just seems strange since most of the cars I have owned required their first oil change after break in which was about 1000 miles. Should I have the dealer do the oil change or is it a waste of money?

1963SWC 02-11-2019 10:16 PM

From reading this forum nearly daily for a year, an oil change by the owner around 1500 miles seems to be a regular occurrence. This is followed by the 'one year/free service' either when time or mileage calls for it.

n d 02-11-2019 11:17 PM

Thanks!

ScratchTheItch 02-11-2019 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1963SWC (Post 15632541)
From reading this forum nearly daily for a year, an oil change by the owner around 1500 miles seems to be a regular occurrence. This is followed by the 'one year/free service' either when time or mileage calls for it.

The 1500 mile oil change is common but apparently completely unnecessary with these modern engines.

ipse dixit 02-11-2019 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 15632508)
This being my first Porsche I知 not sure on what the proper break in oil change consensus is with the rennlist crowd. Dealer told me 1 year this just seems strange since most of the cars I have owned required their first oil change after break in which was about 1000 miles. Should I have the dealer do the oil change or is it a waste of money?

Depends on how long you plan to own the car.

Within the OEM warranty period, just follow the manual.

Longer than that, a few intermediary oil changes (especially if you are tracking it frequently) would certainly not hurt, and may even help.

1963SWC 02-11-2019 11:48 PM

I have found doing small service tasks like this to be a great way to get to know the car better. Learn how to remove the under tray; learn how to check for oil seepage around the tube (has been seen as a problem with some cars); learn about the multiple oil drain points, etc. On a rainy day, learn to remove the rear bumper so you will know how easy it is when you get ready to remove mufflers, install bypasses, .....

n d 02-11-2019 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1963SWC (Post 15632753)
I have found doing small service tasks like this to be a great way to get to know the car better. Learn how to remove the under tray; learn how to check for oil seepage around the tube (has been seen as a problem with some cars); learn about the multiple oil drain points, etc. On a rainy day, learn to remove the rear bumper so you will know how easy it is when you get ready to remove mufflers, install bypasses, .....

while I知 handy and know cars pretty well for some reason on such an expensive car I知 gonna let the pros do it for me!

Jimmy-D 02-12-2019 12:26 AM

1000 -1500 miles on first change then once per year for street driving

tstafford 02-12-2019 01:03 AM

OP - If it makes you feel better, have it changed. Any legit Indy can do it rather than the dealer. But it’s probably a waste of money in all honesty.

bigskyGT3 02-12-2019 02:05 AM

I'll bring my car to the dealer in May some time for first oil and filter change. At that point, I'll have 2000-2500 miles on the car. I like to bring the car in for a yearly service with the dealer once a year. Its a fun road trip and I think it helps maintain the relationship with my SA and GM. Who knows, maybe I'll want to upgrade down the road...

I also agree with 1963 that if possible, do some work on your own car if you can. I've taken the rear bumper off in anticipation for changing out the exhaust once I figure out what the hell I want :-/

golfnutintib 02-12-2019 02:58 AM

evoo or sesame?

:cheers:

ohniner 02-12-2019 10:14 AM

Racing for 20+ years taught me how to break in a motor. On my .2 GT3 I followed Porsche’s GT group recommended break in schedule and at the end I paid the dealer to change the oil and filter as I wanted a clear paper trail. Necessary, I’ll never know but I do know as parts wear in (that’s why there is a break in schedule) they are actually creating minute particles that are flushed by the oil system and trapped by the filter.
So for peace of mind as I now rev this monster to 9000 rpm, I do so knowing I’ve done all I can.....but thanks for that warranty ��

orthojoe 02-12-2019 10:35 AM

People do what makes them feel good.

FWIW, the factory Porsche driver that delivered my RS made it a point to tell me that changing the oil early on the car like many people do is a total waste. This statement was unprompted and he knew I was headed straight to the ring and spa.
The service manager at my dealer confirmed the same as well, and knows all of the miles on the car are track miles.

GrantG 02-12-2019 10:47 AM

I did an 850 mile change to get all the debris out of the system from the beginning of break-in. But, when I cut open the oil filter and examined the filter paper it was totally pristine...

shapiroeric 02-12-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by n d (Post 15632772)

while I知 handy and know cars pretty well for some reason on such an expensive car I知 gonna let the pros do it for me!

It's a brutally simple change.....