Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
It's a brutally simple change.....
Yep, and it gives you far higher quality hardware to use than what's in a modern Carrera/Boxster/Cayman (like its plastic oil pan and oil filter cannister) - I want to see where the extra money went
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP - If it makes you feel better, have it changed. Any legit Indy can do it rather than the dealer. But it’s probably a waste of money in all honesty.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
People do what makes them feel good.

FWIW, the factory Porsche driver that delivered my RS made it a point to tell me that changing the oil early on the car like many people do is a total waste. This statement was unprompted and he knew I was headed straight to the ring and spa.
The service manager at my dealer confirmed the same as well, and knows all of the miles on the car are track miles.
Originally Posted by GrantG
I did an 850 mile change to get all the debris out of the system from the beginning of break-in. But, when I cut open the oil filter and examined the filter paper it was totally pristine...
Just putting the opinions I agree with in this one post. Just follow the Porsche manual. Having said that, I did have the dealer do an oil change at 2,500 miles, just before the first time I would take it to the track. Why?, I dunno why. It probably did not do any good for the car, but it made me feel good! LOL.

As to a DIY oil/filter change, it is indeed easy. However, I do want the pros to give the car a good once over at least once a year. Which is about how often I plan to have the oil changed, anyway.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Nickel and Dimes

I'm doing what makes me FEEL good

But before I say what that is... a little explanation of what I have seen

I had the pleasure of going to 2 Porsche Experiences at Barber. The reason I have a GT3 now....

Instructors told me No break-in miles and No extra maintenance!!!!

But I'm also confused that they black flagged me for hitting the curb!!!!
My last gripe...... they didn't manage tire pressure......Cars ran 45+ PSI most of the time!!

Now for the Nickel and Dimes part.....

I hate the Value Posts....But I read them just to stay informed..... But I drive it like I stole it.....

What am I doing
Just turned 1000 miles....I'm draining the oil ONLY myself.....What 60 bucks for peace of mind!!!! Nickels for a $175k car

Hope to see at Barber March 2-3!!!!!

Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
It's a brutally simple change.....
Except the part about over/underfilling. I had to drain bit out on my first change and I followed recommendations closely.

Last edited by Chris88; 02-17-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 348 Posts

anyone try Tribotex ceramic oil additive?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

People do what makes them feel good.
FWIW, the factory Porsche driver that delivered my RS made it a point to tell me that changing the oil early on the car like many people do is a total waste. This statement was unprompted and he knew I was headed straight to the ring and spa.
The service manager at my dealer confirmed the same as well, and knows all of the miles on the car are track miles.
I will bet he knows their in-house break in and run up procedure !
Old 02-12-2019, 05:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

After 1000 miles then every 3000 miles after that is what I do.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Running the factory oil to 10k just seems bad. It's a suspect oil to begin with. Why not just get it out at 1-2k and then change as desired, based on use.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
I'll bring my car to the dealer in May some time for first oil and filter change. At that point, I'll have 2000-2500 miles on the car. I like to bring the car in for a yearly service with the dealer once a year. Its a fun road trip and I think it helps maintain the relationship with my SA and GM. Who knows, maybe I'll want to upgrade down the road...

I also agree with 1963 that if possible, do some work on your own car if you can. I've taken the rear bumper off in anticipation for changing out the exhaust once I figure out what the hell I want :-/
1. Good plan on service.
2. Easy plan on exhaust, go Dundon.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
Racing for 20+ years taught me how to break in a motor. On my .2 GT3 I followed Porsche’s GT group recommended break in schedule and at the end I paid the dealer to change the oil and filter as I wanted a clear paper trail. Necessary, I’ll never know but I do know as parts wear in (that’s why there is a break in schedule) they are actually creating minute particles that are flushed by the oil system and trapped by the filter.
So for peace of mind as I now rev this monster to 9000 rpm, I do so knowing I’ve done all I can.....but thanks for that warranty ��
There is value in having that paper trail if the engine grenades.

Even out of warranty, having a good paper trail helps. Porsche has been known to (in some cases) to repair out-of-warranty work at no cost to the owner. The company stands by its work.

That being said, the dealer is going to charge you generously for work you contract them to do. Work you do yourself is a little harder to document. So, it's a cost-benefit thing.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:13 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

running 10k miles on initial oil on a gt3/rs engine is probably unwise, even if just road driven

otoh 1k change is unnecessary, esp. after a mild mannered break in

the notion of a change before a track day or weekend is smart, esp. in warmer climates or if you are an advanced driver who will use mostly high revs... factory fill 0-40 m1 is known to shear down quickly in intensive use

i like to go 5w50 get a little more shear protection in track-mobiles
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile Oil change frequency

If your not going to keep the car long term, follow factory guidelines.

If you intend to keep it, I'd recommend an oil change at 1-2K miles, then 5K, 10K, 15K, etc. (on the 5K interval) as it is easy to remember. If you are not driving it much, change the oil at least once a year.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
I will bet he knows their in-house break in and run up procedure !
He told me that as well. They don't do a break in. They run it hard right away.

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Running the factory oil to 10k just seems bad. It's a suspect oil to begin with. Why not just get it out at 1-2k and then change as desired, based on use.
Seems bad, but it's psychological. Nobody can ever prove it's bad. It's all in our heads.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
running 10k miles on initial oil on a gt3/rs engine is probably unwise, even if just road driven

otoh 1k change is unnecessary, esp. after a mild mannered break in

the notion of a change before a track day or weekend is smart, esp. in warmer climates or if you are an advanced driver who will use mostly high revs... factory fill 0-40 m1 is known to shear down quickly in intensive use

i like to go 5w50 get a little more shear protection in track-mobiles
Remember my .1 GT3? 80 track days. 5w-50 oil change every 10th track day. Engine refused to die and I continued to get faster all of the way up to the 80th day.

Why every 10 days? Not gonna pretend that it's the right thing to do like others here because I have zero evidence that it is the best thing to do. My hunch is that 10 days is still overkill, but I can't prove it and it made me feel better to do it.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Seems bad, but it's psychological. Nobody can ever prove it's bad. It's all in our heads.
Plus 1.

Synthetic oils have come a long long way.

Quick Reply: Thought on oil change?