991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 Aftermarket Wheels

Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! Love the different options, and they all look great on your GT cars (love the color of your GT4). I'm ordering a new set of HRE's for my 812 and wanted a "multi-spoke" design for the GT3. I think I'll check out Forgeline, but I'll probably end up with another set of HRE's.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I have been more than happy with my Forgeline wheels on my previous 991.1 GT3 RS. These are in the stock sizes, are lighter than the stock wheels, and the fit and finish are tops. I have raced on monoblock wheels from BBS, Rays, and Forgeline. The wheel that seemed to always take the most abuse and keep on going were the Forgeline. Plus their customer service has been top notch. The current set of GE1R wheels are going back them to be powder coated in a different color for my .2 RS.

www.forgeline.com

Old 02-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
Thank you! Love the different options, and they all look great on your GT cars (love the color of your GT4). I'm ordering a new set of HRE's for my 812 and wanted a "multi-spoke" design for the GT3. I think I'll check out Forgeline, but I'll probably end up with another set of HRE's.
HRE has tons of styles to accommodate your look. They have a higher end wheel now called Anrky which are really nice too.

Can’t go wrong with Forgeline either. I’ve used them on a couple of cars and they are light and really strong. I prefer to use the Forgeline for track duty.

Chris.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I love my HRE wheels on my GT3!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Tons of great options on the market as seen in this thread already, and would absolutely only ever recommend a forged wheel for these applications. We nearly exclusively run Forgeline's on all of our race builds and have always been satisfied with their quality. Great styles, SUPER strong, light weight and at a great price point!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
VDBGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

So much beautiful voodoo blue in this GMG photo!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I have Forgeline wheels too and their customer service is wonderful, they are great people and have a very nice product line.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Chris
I always buy HRE. I've had 3 sets. In my opinion they are gold standard like Rolex
Originally Posted by tonymission
Same. If you don't like the 101 style (RW101 LW) there are a lot of other options that will still match the quality of your car. Plus HRE is a big GT Smokies sponsor and have been awesome to the community!
Originally Posted by BlueGT3
HRE all the way

Thank you all so much for the love guys! Thank you for your support!

Originally Posted by joejenie
How much do HRE's cost? How much less do they weigh that the stock wheels on the 3RS? I assume they are about half the price of BBS Mags?
I compared this for a 991 GT3 customer the other day. BBS Mag wheels are approximately $9,700.00 (USD) MORE than the R101 Lightweights, and is only 3.10lbs lighter, not per wheel but for the entire set. Essentially you would be saving 0.75lbs per wheel. Sure, pretty awesome wheels but I'm not so sure I would want to buy a set if I had the ability of buying a second set of HRE's at that rate so I could have 2 track day sets, or one for the street and then one for the track.

R101LW Fitment specs along with weight figures can be found here - https://www.hrewheels.com/files/R101_LW_Specs_2018.pdf

Originally Posted by Hams955
I've had BBS FI-R's on my previous car and the HRE R101LW's on the rest of my cars. The R101LW's are very light compared to OEM. I have a new set of R101LW's going on my new .2 3RS I am picking up tomorrow. Pics on my cars:

FI-R:

HRE R101LW:

R101LW on my GT4 as well:

Forgeline is a great option too that is not mentioned. I have a set of FL's that I use for track duty on my RS:

The one thing I like about the R101LW over the FI-R (they are very similar in weight FYI) is that the R101LW is pocketed in the barrel where the calipers would sit. the pocketing of the barrel gives you additional caliper clearance and it is how the R101LW 19" will actually fit over the PCCB equipped cars. Forgeline does it too on the GS1R FYI. The FI-R does not have this feature and worth noting as it was frequent to pick up debris between the caliper and wheel barrel on the BBS wheel. Aesthetically speaking I think the FI-R is a prettier wheel than the R101LW but I prefer the R101LW for the aforementioned reason.

Depending on cost - I would expect to pay around $9K for FI-R's new, around $9-10K for HRE's new and about $6500 new for Forgeline's (Depending on the wheel style).

Hope this helps.

- Chris.
Thank your feedback Chris!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
Hey Mike! Good to see you on Rennlist! Nice talking to you yesterday

Originally Posted by James-GMG
I love my HRE wheels on my GT3!

This post should have been marked NSFW guys
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Chris
I always buy HRE. I've had 3 sets. In my opinion they are gold standard like Rolex
I love HRE and they are amazing, but, for me, BBS is the gold standard.
The following users liked this post:
991C2S88 (11-28-2023)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay101
Not to take anything away from HRE nor to start a debate, but BBS and Rays have to be the gold standard in wheels. There may be one or two other Japanese wheel manufactures that are on par with BBS and Rays. Neez I believe is the other one. Volk and BBS are the only companies that have the 8000/10000 ton machines. Apparently, there are only two to three in existence and BBS and Rays have them.

I am only writing this because I geek out on this stuff and I think you will find it interesting. Mold-form forging basically forges the wheel into the general shape of the wheel design then finished by matching the rest of the design out. Also, even the grain of the aluminum is taken into consideration and is forged into the shape of the wheel which creates a stronger wheel.

From the article I linked below: "There are two methods for manufacturing forged wheels: machine forging and mold-form forging. During the machine forging process, the desired wheel shape is machine cut from forged aluminum. The mold-form-forging process, which RAYS uses, creates the wheel’s shape during the actual forging process"

"when machine forging, the metal’s grain is preset, typically traversing side to side, resulting in a wheel in which its grain may flow any number of directions once cut. Mold-form forging shapes the wheel through compression using a series of dies so that its grain flows according to the shape of the wheel’s rim and spokes, allowing it to remain continuous, resulting in an impressive strength-to-weight ratio"

Here is a great article on what makes Rays (and BBS) the gold standard,

http://when machine forging, the met...-weight ratio.

More race cars and OEM cars run Rays and BBS than any other manufacturer. And not only are they at the best wheels you can get, they are also about half the cost of HRE's.
Can you fix the link please? Does not work.

Is it true that BBS FIR are the only wheels of BBS that are produced in BBS Japan?
I heard that FIR production is a special process available only in Japan.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 PM
lamborarri
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM
TT Chris
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I love HRE and they are amazing, but, for me, BBS is the gold standard.
​​​​​​Back in my tuning days I found that BBS and Ray's wheels were not as customizable as brands like HRE and were more geared towards the Japanese car brands. I also feel (again this is just my opinion) that for after markets wheels for a Porsche or any euro brand it deserves a more customizable luxury brand like HRE. I realize that BBS make magnesium wheels but also find their designs very generic.

However, I'm still in love with the white Ray's TE-37 I had on my 2000 Honda Prelude SH
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,342 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay101
Not to take anything away from HRE nor to start a debate, but BBS and Rays have to be the gold standard in wheels. There may be one or two other Japanese wheel manufactures that are on par with BBS and Rays. Neez I believe is the other one. Volk and BBS are the only companies that have the 8000/10000 ton machines. Apparently, there are only two to three in existence and BBS and Rays have them.

I am only writing this because I geek out on this stuff and I think you will find it interesting. Mold-form forging basically forges the wheel into the general shape of the wheel design then finished by matching the rest of the design out. Also, even the grain of the aluminum is taken into consideration and is forged into the shape of the wheel which creates a stronger wheel.

From the article I linked below: "There are two methods for manufacturing forged wheels: machine forging and mold-form forging. During the machine forging process, the desired wheel shape is machine cut from forged aluminum. The mold-form-forging process, which RAYS uses, creates the wheel’s shape during the actual forging process"

"when machine forging, the metal’s grain is preset, typically traversing side to side, resulting in a wheel in which its grain may flow any number of directions once cut. Mold-form forging shapes the wheel through compression using a series of dies so that its grain flows according to the shape of the wheel’s rim and spokes, allowing it to remain continuous, resulting in an impressive strength-to-weight ratio"

Here is a great article on what makes Rays (and BBS) the gold standard,

http://when machine forging, the met...-weight ratio.

More race cars and OEM cars run Rays and BBS than any other manufacturer. And not only are they at the best wheels you can get, they are also about half the cost of HRE's.
+1

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,342 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Can you fix the link please? Does not work.

Is it true that BBS FIR are the only wheels of BBS that are produced in BBS Japan?
I heard that FIR production is a special process available only in Japan.
No there are many forged wheels produced in Japan actually for BBS. All the forged wheels are produced there.

https://bbs-japan.co.jp/en/products/
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (11-27-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3.2 Aftermarket Wheels