Grinding sound in brakes after track day and tire swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding sound in brakes after track day and tire swap

Hi All,
Did my first track day this last weekend and the car did great. Polished off the end of the Dunlops that came with the car and installed some new Sport Cup 2's. I don't know if I didn't notice it before the tire swap as I hadn't driven the car since the track, but there's an awful grinding sound at low speeds. I put the car up on my lift, and just rotating the wheel I hear a grinding sound.

I used tons of brake cleaner to see if anything was dirty, and an air gun to get all the dust out of the rotors. The pads look new, the rotors have one track day on them. The pads touch the rotor on all four corners (not unusual). But they only roll about 1 rotation if I spin the wheel, that seems low.

Besides the grinding sound, it's almost as if someone is leaning on the brake pedal a bit.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

What pads?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

All stock, these are OE Pagids
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you take the wheel off and inspect? (sorry if that's a dumb question but you didn't mention that) PCCBs are famous for getting stuff stuck between the wheel & caliper.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sushisean
Hi All,
Did my first track day this last weekend and the car did great. Polished off the end of the Dunlops that came with the car and installed some new Sport Cup 2's. I don't know if I didn't notice it before the tire swap as I hadn't driven the car since the track, but there's an awful grinding sound at low speeds. I put the car up on my lift, and just rotating the wheel I hear a grinding sound.

I used tons of brake cleaner to see if anything was dirty, and an air gun to get all the dust out of the rotors. The pads look new, the rotors have one track day on them. The pads touch the rotor on all four corners (not unusual). But they only roll about 1 rotation if I spin the wheel, that seems low.

Besides the grinding sound, it's almost as if someone is leaning on the brake pedal a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5J2lBocOkQ
Normal

drive a few days on the street and they will polish
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDCR
Did you take the wheel off and inspect? (sorry if that's a dumb question but you didn't mention that) PCCBs are famous for getting stuff stuck between the wheel & caliper.
Yes did that while clearing with the air gun. Nothing stuck in there, it’s the pad on rotor making the sound nothing else I can see.

Originally Posted by IPSA
Normal

drive a few days on the street and they will polish
interesting, really? I’ve had a few cars with carbon ceramics but never experienced this after a track day. The pad gets rough at track temp?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I vote rock stuck between the back side of the rotor and backing plate. Had one drive me nuts...
Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
I vote rock stuck between the back side of the rotor and backing plate. Had one drive me nuts...
x,2 sounds like a rock. You don't say what wheel. The rears have the park brake shoes in the hub,
Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 AM
sushisean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajw45
that was my first inclination, but because the same sound exists, with the same resistance, on all 4 corners, that can’t be it
Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sushisean

that was my first inclination, but because the same sound exists, with the same resistance, on all 4 corners, that can’t be it
Factory PCCB pads seem to shed pieces rather easily with track use. After 2 sets I switched to iron rotors and Ferodo 1.11's, no further issues
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

My brakes always make a grinding sound after a track day. After a day or 2 of street driving it goes away. Then it comes back after the next track day

Quick Reply: Grinding sound in brakes after track day and tire swap