Sponsored by:

GT fever

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I've always been in the 'RS is an RS' camp and loved my 991.1 RS... but I get to drive so infrequently now that the manual really heightens the sense of occasion for me. My ridiculous GT fever this time around was going from PTS winged to PTS touring for a pretty penny within months of getting the first one.

I've been offered configurable RS allocations (and delivered cars) at MSRP and nicely turned them all down. Just not for me this time around.
If a configurable RS allocation comes your way again, hook me up.

There's that line in Ghostbusters: Ray, the next time someone asks you if you're a god, say YES! LOL.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I have driven a .2 RS and own a .2 GT3.

I do not track so can not give you my experience as to which is better but I am assuming the RS would be faster.

For the street they both feel very similar but I prefer a Manual so that is the better car in my opinion.

IF one thinks the RS feels more Special that is more your mind playing mental games with you. I bought an M3 as my DD and I feel that She also feels very Special.
the rs is definitely more special in my mind too.....I’m sure if you asked 100 people the majority would also agree.
But that only and opinion!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

I love my Winged GT3... never had so much fun with a car before. It’s discreet and yet commands enough presence. I find the RSs magnificent, but I don’t track and thus see no reason for me to go for an RS (other than bragging rights)... This one is a keeper! 😎
Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Some of what I posted in another thread when someone was debating about a switch from a .2 GT3 to a .2 GT3RS may be relevant.

=======

Bearing in mind that so much of a cars likes and dislikes are subjective, here’s what I missed.

Handling - for me the GT3 doesn’t come close to the front end grip and feel of the .1 or .2 RS. The difference is very noticeable and directly affects the next point I state.

Confidence Inspiring - the RS gives me a degree of confidence that was unequalled by my manual .2 GT3. Throwing the RS around mountain roads is predictive...no crazy surprises.The GT3 hops and twitches and in sports mode and rev matching did some weird things when shifting going into a sharp corner. I’m not into white knuckle moments.

Presence - for me the aesthetics and rawness of the bolder design of the RS just ticks boxes that the GT3 didn’t.

PDK - dare I say it... I actually missed the PDK! It’s instant downshifts enable speed shifts (acceleration and deceleration) that provides an entirely different dimension of driving than a manual GT3. The manual is sublime... but if it’s a manual car you want get a GT4 or manual GTS.

The above are just from my personal non technical bone-headed perspective. So much is subjective and I respect others opinion on the choices.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
To get the car that puts the biggest smile on your face for the money you're willing to pay.

If we were limited to cars whose limits we could exploit we'd all be driving Miatas or even Camrys, you wouldn't even have a GT3.
that’s a fair point... smiles per $! 👍

We are a bunch of grumpy and expensive people... 😉
Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

YOLO
Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 PM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
How many people here can actually exploit the performance differences between GT3 And GT3RS? And of those who have the talent actually have the time to do so?

I’ve lost count how many GT3RS I’ve seen that are garage queens and barely get driven to cars and coffee. I personally don’t care for the giant wing, but appreciate its function in the track. But I don’t have the talent nor the time. So GT3 is enough for me and probably 99% of people here. However, I also live in an area where GT3 won’t stand out at most events if you’re into that sort of thing.

For the cars and coffee crowd, the RS with its more aggressive looks is a must. Different strokes, but I prefer a car that doesn’t scream for attention all the time.
I’m sure the extra 40 grand didn’t hurt!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they say what adm is?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by n d

I disagree any turbo car can go fast but having a 9k rpm is more desirable for me of course!
Having a 3RS and a 2RS is the best of both worlds, but for ultimate thrills the 2RS is without peer.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 AM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by Hex

Having a 3RS and a 2RS is the best of both worlds.
Super cool.... but I would think that they are so close to being the same car... I would choose something a little different maybe a 458 or a Lamborghini svj...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Another GT3 vs Rs thread!!!

How many of these do we have now!!!!???
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM
n d
Pro

I’m currently Enamored by na engines! while the 2rs is much faster what else does it offer besides more power at the cost of turbos. It’s not even some special engine just a turbo s engine that is overboosted... please correct me if I’m wrong!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Btw - don't forget about 997.2 RS. They are magical! Go buy one of those.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:55 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad I never had such fever or desire to own the RS. Manual .2 winged GT3 is just perfect.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
How many people here can actually exploit the performance differences between GT3 And GT3RS? And of those who have the talent actually have the time to do so?.
Im not a talented driver but I can definitely feel the difference in grip and stability and noise and all around excitement on the track (last one clearly being subjective). U don't have to be talented to feel and "extract the difference". If anything, the less talented driver gets bailed out by the grip the RS has on track. For pure street driving, it's a toss up for me because the 3 and RS each have their pros/cons vs each other. Track, there is no question 991.2 3rs is the one to have (for me). I don't have interest in the 2rs because i don't want my 3rs to be faster in the straights; it's all about the feel in the twisty parts and not as much about the shove in the straights (again, for me). For pure street, the touring is a cool all-around toy but I can think of a dozen toys that are older and more fun (partly due to driving a slower car fast). They are all best-in-class for driving to track, hammering all day long and driving back home. There's no close 2nd on the market. Each just has more/less bias towards street vs track; balance vs shove, etc.

Quick Reply: GT fever