Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
An RS is an RS.
Not mincing the words.

There are GT cars, and there are RS cars.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

The affliction is real. The difference between the .2 GT3 and .2 GT3RS is VERY real. Once bitten by the RS bug, there's no way forward but an RS!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
I'm not sure how different the PDK is between the .2 GT3 and RS. I have only driven the .2 GT3 with a manual and prefer it over my .2 RS. There is another thread where a new .2 RS owner compares it with his previous '15 GT3 and I agree with his sentiments--- not really that much different even comparing between .1 and .2. I wish they made the RS with a manual... then it may be a keeper! FYI on sound insulation I had way more noise in my '15 GT3. My point is people believe what they want. Marketing at its finest.
I mentioned my preference for PDK as the manual is a key selling feature for some on the GT3. I’m not compromising in that area by having an RS. As for the GT3 vs RS PDK, I suspect there are some subtle calibration differences. I know, as others have also commented, that the .2 RS creates a satisfying ‘pop’ on upshifts which was not present on the .1. I cannot say whether it is present on the GT3.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 PM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Traded my .2 GT3 for a .2GT3RS...and I regret nothing. I had it PTS, 6MT, everything I thought I wanted. Swore I would never get the PDK since I thought a sports car should have three pedals.

Well, literally got my GT3 home, and realized I wanted a damn RS...I'm a damn idiot!!

If you want the RS, go for it. I loved my GT3, but it just was not an RS for me. Also, if you are attached to the 6MT, I don't think you'll find the PDK disappointing. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would pick the PDK everyday and twice on Sunday over the 6MT, and I've been driving manuals for 80% of my driving career.

To each their own, maybe I wasted my money, but in the end, I am many degrees happier and have not looked back...YMMV
Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

How many people here can actually exploit the performance differences between GT3 And GT3RS? And of those who have the talent actually have the time to do so?

I’ve lost count how many GT3RS I’ve seen that are garage queens and barely get driven to cars and coffee. I personally don’t care for the giant wing, but appreciate its function in the track. But I don’t have the talent nor the time. So GT3 is enough for me and probably 99% of people here. However, I also live in an area where GT3 won’t stand out at most events if you’re into that sort of thing.

For the cars and coffee crowd, the RS with its more aggressive looks is a must. Different strokes, but I prefer a car that doesn’t scream for attention all the time.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
How many people here can actually exploit the performance differences between GT3 And GT3RS? And of those who have the talent actually have the time to do so?
Is that even the point? I would argue no.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
An RS is an RS.
Took a surprising 19 posts but we got there.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reacher
Is that even the point? I would argue no.
Whats the point then?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Whats the point then?
To get the car that puts the biggest smile on your face for the money you're willing to pay.

If we were limited to cars whose limits we could exploit we'd all be driving Miatas or even Camrys, you wouldn't even have a GT3.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reacher
To get the car that puts the biggest smile on your face for the money you're willing to pay.

If we were limited to cars whose limits we could exploit we'd all be driving Miatas or even Camrys, you wouldn't even have a GT3.
I see. When I drove the RS it felt like mostly the same car from inside for most of the type of driving I do. The step from GT3 to RS didn’t seem like the same large step from a carrera S to a GT3. If I’m honest I could not discern a difference in driving experience, although I didn’t drive an RS on track. So to me, all things considered, it seems like a visual and exclusivity decision.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Yes, go the whole nine yards. Muhahahaha
I disagree any turbo car can go fast but having a 9k rpm is more desirable for me of course!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I suffer from the same affliction. The GT3 is an incredible car (I don't have one) but frankly the 3RS is a step beyond. I'm trying to find an allocation preferably with a small ADM but no luck yet.

In short, the answer to your questions is yes.
but but all adm is coming too an end according to everyone that wants one or refusing to pay a little extra for one!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

I see. When I drove the RS it felt like mostly the same car from inside for most of the type of driving I do. The step from GT3 to RS didn’t seem like the same large step from a carrera S to a GT3. If I’m honest I could not discern a difference in driving experience, although I didn’t drive an RS on track. So to me, all things considered, it seems like a visual and exclusivity decision.
I can totally see that. I've never actually driven an RS, but I'm expecting it to be not much different from my GT3. For me it's just a "why not, might as well try it" thing since I love the looks of it, even if it drives 95% the same. I'm not likely to lose a ton of money on it, and it was a spec I really liked. Is it worth 60-70k more than my GT3? Surely not, but again it's not like I'm going to lose that 60-70k, I'll get it back when I sell the car anyway.

Either way, all these cars are wonderful and are fun to drive regardless of the reason you buy them.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

To each their own but I believe anyone that has an RS and doesn't track it somewhat regularly is missing the best aspects of the car. Under the right conditions I would get a .2 3RS and run the snot out of it at Road America where the functional aero could be exploited in the higher speed corners. Big wing and NACA ducts?? I'm in.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always been in the 'RS is an RS' camp and loved my 991.1 RS... but I get to drive so infrequently now that the manual really heightens the sense of occasion for me. My ridiculous GT fever this time around was going from PTS winged to PTS touring for a pretty penny within months of getting the first one.

I've been offered configurable RS allocations (and delivered cars) at MSRP and nicely turned them all down. Just not for me this time around.

Quick Reply: GT fever