Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT fever

Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
PDK - dare I say it... I actually missed the PDK! It’s instant downshifts enable speed shifts (acceleration and deceleration) that provides an entirely different dimension of driving than a manual GT3. The manual is sublime... but if it’s a manual car you want get a GT4 or manual GTS.
That makes sense, though I'd recommend a Carrera T over GT4 or GTS.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
To each their own but I believe anyone that has an RS and doesn't track it somewhat regularly is missing the best aspects of the car. Under the right conditions I would get a .2 3RS and run the snot out of it at Road America where the functional aero could be exploited in the higher speed corners. Big wing and NACA ducts?? I'm in.
Agree, though the same can easily be said about the GT3. I actually don't even like driving my GT3 on the road, I pretty much save it for the track where it's more fun and a much better fit. Whenever I drive my GT3 on the road, it feels a bit poser.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
That makes sense, though I'd recommend a Carrera T over GT4 or GTS.
Agree. Best bang for buck 911 in the line up.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Haku - Is your front end grip comment based on track driving or did you experience that even on the roads?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow! Never expected so much enthusiasm to my “ Are we suffering from GT fever” question.
Its clear to me now, yes we are all afflicted with “Car fever”, isn’t it wonderful.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
I’m currently Enamored by na engines! while the 2rs is much faster what else does it offer besides more power at the cost of turbos. It’s not even some special engine just a turbo s engine that is overboosted... please correct me if I’m wrong!
It's not an over boosted engine as the engine has been modified from the TTS. The car is crammed full of motorsports parts. Go to page 500 of the GT2RS thread and there's a walk around by a motorsports racing shop. It's really pretty amazing.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Here it is again for the cool video.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:

Originally Posted by n d
I’m currently Enamored by na engines! while the 2rs is much faster what else does it offer besides more power at the cost of turbos. It’s not even some special engine just a turbo s engine that is overboosted... please correct me if I’m wrong!
Originally Posted by Hex
It's not an over boosted engine as the engine has been modified from the TTS. The car is crammed full of motorsports parts. Go to page 500 of the GT2RS thread and there's a walk around by a motorsports racing shop. It's really pretty amazing.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by n d

Super cool.... but I would think that they are so close to being the same car... I would choose something a little different maybe a 458 or a Lamborghini svj...

You would think the cars are close to being the same from the outside, but the driving experience is different. They make different sounds, both of which are awesome, they have different rev ranges and power bands, and they require different driving styles/techniques. The lighter, screaming 3RS requires more momentum from it's driver to go fast whereas the heavier, growling 2RS requires excellent braking skills to go fast because you arrive at the braking zone quicker and carrying more speed. I think that is why some guys struggle to turn laps as quickly with the 2RS as some of the guys in the 3RS. From what I've seen, most guys are ok with the throttle but lack in braking skills. The GT2RS will test this. Not that braking in the GT3RS isn't important as of course it is. It's just that the car doesn't arrive in the braking zone as fast or carrying as much speed as the 2RS. Also, you can mash the throttle in the 3RS whereas you better be smooth on the throttle with the 2RS. You can spin the tires in first gear at a stop light with the 3RS, whereas you can spin the tires in fourth gear on the freeway with the 2RS. By the way, I had 458. It's a great car but I wouldn't trade either of my RS's for one.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

For the 991.2 GT3 generation, the dynamic differences between the GT3 and GT3 RS are larger than ever before.

With each generation, the grow apart more and more. Back in the 996, aside from cheater tires on the GT3RS, the two cars performed quite similar on a racetrack, and again with the 997.1 GT3 RS. The 997.2 was the first big departure, then the 991.1 GT3 RS once again a big departure.

What Porsche has done with the .2 GT3 RS is a first ever for the RS street cars. I inspected my 2019 underneath, and I found massive differences with the 2016 RS it replaced. Although the motors are the same, that and brakes is where the common parts (that apply to dynamic behavior, not the interior cosmetics and accessory options) end.

The .2 RS has a shorter ring and pinion gear (4.19:1 vs the GT3 3.97). The 2018/2019 got louder inside, it must be this new ultra light carpets (my old 2016 shared the carpets with the GT3). For the first time, there is almost 1,000 lbs of downforce at 186mph (the GT3 produces a tad over 300 lbs at these same speeds). Very wide rubber fits on both axles, yet covered by the body for aero efficiency, my 295 front tires and 345 rear tires fit just fine, and they come with more grip. For the first time, the spring rates went drastically up compared to the GT3 (older GT3 and GT3 RS were always in the same range for spring rates). There are a new transmission and axles naca cooling ducts, additional cooling ducts for the rear brakes compared to the 991.1 GT3 RS, and the best feature: no rubber on all the suspension joints (there are many of them), except the RWS joint, all others are solid aluminum or monoballs, this is where the car is gaining on lateral performance, but only when proper tires are used, the difference will be appreciated, as Hoosiers and slicks tend to overwhelm the rubber bushings (and all the dynamic camber, toe changes that carries).

For street use, in U.S. roads at 55mph or slower due to speed limits, neither car makes sense, a Cayman GT4 is more fun. For track use (tracks with turns, dragways are not tracks, parking lots are not tracks): GT3RS. For Drag Racing: GT2RS or Turbo S. For street use breaking all sort of traffic laws as most Youtube content these days, choose whatever you're comfortable leaving at the impound yard.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
The .2 RS has a shorter ring and pinion gear (4.19:1 vs the GT3 3.97).
That is only there to offset the taller gearing of the larger diameter 21" rear tires. The net change is that the RS still has very slightly taller gearing than the GT3 (when using OEM tire sizes)...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Haku - Is your front end grip comment based on track driving or did you experience that even on the roads?
absolutely on roads. I do most of my RS driving in the mountains on roads very similar to the Cherohala and dragon etc. The RS was unequalled by any of the GT3’s I’ve had. The RS wants to drive into corners in an intuitive manner which imo is extremely confidence inspiring.

Imo, the difference between the .2 GT3 and .2 GT3RS is huge. Different cars entirely! Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:09 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
I wat he’s the video skimming through some parts but from what’ I saw it’s mostly better cooling, bigger turbos etc. what about the engine the internals is it any different then the
turbo s?
i would have like to see a high Revving turbo engine (Mclaren turbo engines spin up too 8k ) ..... To me personally these low revving engines remind me of days when I couldn’t afford these cars and I had to drive Corvettes.
Again just my opinion but at these prices cars deserve exotic engines that spin all the way up to minimum 8 to 10,000 RPMs!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:53 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Great thread. I was looking for a 991.2 RS last year before my Touring arrived. The Touring arrived, the RS lust disappeared. Got offered 3 991.2 RS in the last week at msrp and passed on all of them. Tracked my Touring at PBIR last Friday (intermidiated group since in was my first time back in 6 years and first time tracking the Touring). Tons of fun, passed every single 991.1 RS in the straightaways since passing wasn't allowed in corners. None made up the difference in corners since I overlapped them before the end of every session. Perhaps I should have entered the advanced group (all 991.2RS were in advanced). The Touring was supper stable, though the alignment, lowered suspension, and skill might have played a factor. Before that event, another 991.2 RS could not pull away on a mexican highway at 160mph+ weeks before (about the same rate of acceleration and speed). So imo, there's no significant different in performance at the track or street to justify the price difference if you got the right spec. Wing, Touring, or RS.
View this post on Instagram
Flame suit on...
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

OP, I'll give you the cheapest solution to your dilemma. Go out and buy a well specced '16 Spyder. Drive that and your GT3 on the street for six months. In month seven, note which keys you gravitate to picking up more. If it's the GT3, sell them both and buy a GT3 RS. If it's the Spyder, sell the GT3 and keep the Spyder.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Great thread. I was looking for a 991.2 RS last year before my Touring arrived. The Touring arrived, the RS lust disappeared. Got offered 3 991.2 RS in the last week at msrp and passed on all of them. Tracked my Touring at PBIR last Friday (intermidiated group since in was my first time back in 6 years and first time tracking the Touring). Tons of fun, passed every single 991.1 RS in the straightaways since passing wasn't allowed in corners. None made up the difference in corners since I overlapped them before the end of every session. Perhaps I should have entered the advanced group (all 991.2RS were in advanced). The Touring was supper stable, though the alignment, lowered suspension, and skill might have played a factor. Before that event, another 991.2 RS could not pull away on a mexican highway at 160mph+ weeks before (about the same rate of acceleration and speed). So imo, there's no significant different in performance at the track or street to justify the price difference if you got the right spec. Wing, Touring, or RS. https://www.instagram.com/p/Btvn93Ll...=1xgzvd3yrw0s2
Flame suit on...
with all do respect stop the bs please !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT fever