Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any GT owners paid up to take the Ferrari Pilota course?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:34 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utahrock
Actually the U.S. based courses are the most expensive, starting at $15K. The ones in Europe are quite a bit cheaper, but still very high. Ferrari dealers have all kinds of goals to meet in order to get better allocations and hold-back money. One of these is getting clients to attend events. So yes, if you want to have a chance of getting rare cars, going to a driving course every year would be one of the things you would do. And another would be to order every car, with lots and lots of expensive options. You'll lose your shirt from depreciation on the likes of Lussos and Californias but getting a Speciale Aperta or a Pista would be pretty nice, and a LaFerrari would more than make up for any depreciation from the lessor cars. But note that in many markets getting to the LaFerrari stage will be impossible or take until the end of time because there will be several long term customers way, way in front of you.
^ well said.

To answer OP's question, the courses are well organized and lots of effort goes into making it a fun experience for the driver and any family that attends the course with you (nice dinners, cocktail parties etc..) I have made a few great friends in a couple of these events that I still keep in touch with. The best part of the course is driving modern ferraris on the track and pushing them to their limits. This is really what you are paying for.

As far as the stepwise progression of ferrari ownership, there are stages (akin to the stages of grief); It starts with elation (speccing your first new ferrari) joy and excitement (driving it and getting approved to buy other more rare models) and eventually acceptance (of the fact that a continuous pursuit of the next "big thing" is never what actually makes you HAPPY.)

Of course, judging from all of the "value" posts on RL, there is a good bit of that going on here too. So many people get caught up in details of deviated stitching and forget that the joy of driving is what it's about. It would be an amazing day on RL if more posts related to technical aspects of these cars and organized group drives and experiences rather than ridiculous opinions on car values and ADM's.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
^ well said.

To answer OP's question, the courses are well organized and lots of effort goes into making it a fun experience for the driver and any family that attends the course with you (nice dinners, cocktail parties etc..) I have made a few great friends in a couple of these events that I still keep in touch with. The best part of the course is driving modern ferraris on the track and pushing them to their limits. This is really what you are paying for.

As far as the stepwise progression of ferrari ownership, there are stages (akin to the stages of grief); It starts with elation (speccing your first new ferrari) joy and excitement (driving it and getting approved to buy other more rare models) and eventually acceptance (of the fact that a continuous pursuit of the next "big thing" is never what actually makes you HAPPY.)

Of course, judging from all of the "value" posts on RL, there is a good bit of that going on here too. So many people get caught up in details of deviated stitching and forget that the joy of driving is what it's about. It would be an amazing day on RL if more posts related to technical aspects of these cars and organized group drives and experiences rather than ridiculous opinions on car values and ADM's.
^^Great feedback and very well said. Thanks!

J
Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
Very well said.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 PM
scooteria681
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the course about 10 years ago when the cars used were the 430 scud and the 458 for the most part. It was approximately $10k usd back then, and it was located at Mont Tremblant. The wife and I stayed a couple extra days at MT and down in Montreal...it was a great trip. I still remember and the sights and sounds of driving these super cool cars on the track, in addition to some of the other fun stuff the the school (like instructors apexing and sliding through the tracks’ corners in Ford Edges taking us out to discuss corners, etc.) MT and Montreal were fun towns, as well.

There are some great points about value above when most here are interested in PTS, PCCB, PPF, LWBS, etc LOL!!! I’d say since I can recall the experience 10 years later, I’d say it was totally worth it. (and 10k is a lot of dough to me.)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty much spot on with what ak432 said. He and I took the Sport course at COTA together. They put a chicane in the back straight to keep speeds down going into turn 12. Fun time but on the last day it was raining pretty hard. Doing lead/follow going into turn 1 in the pouring rain was a little nerve wracking. I subsequently took the Advanced class at Thermal. It was a smaller class and on the final day students got quite a bit of seat time. Cars were equipped with telemetry systems and coaches would analyze your laps vs their laps and provide feedback for improvement.

At the beginning of each course they introduce the instructors and talk about their backgrounds. The level of talent in the group is incredibly impressive. Being a passenger in a Kia minivan when they raced each other back to the classroom was a lesson in tire adhesion limits.

As others have said it’s not the best bang for your buck. Fringe benefits of the course are moving up the list with your local Ferrari dealer for earlier/limited allocations. Ferrari has a point system where they rank their customers and these driving courses help you move up the list. The only other reasons are you just want to thrash some new Ferraris or you ultimately want to race the Ferrari Challenge Series.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

LOL You'd be better off hiring a miata, a professional driver and track for the day.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:22 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I did it 3 years ago at COTA. Expensive but lots of driving time and lots of instruction. They also put you in the Four Seasons. You are allowed to go as fast as your skills allow. Highly recommended.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I did Pilota Avanzato 3 day last summer july at MMC, but it was paid for by a ferrari owner. it was by far the top track school with most track time I have ever had. Also the most 'flexible' and easy to learn with coaches. Top acts. Further, it was first class equipment all around. For example, instructor allowed some to do 150mph+ on the back straight at MMC. The cars were brand new 100-500mi 812 Superfast and 488 in immaculate condition. The instructors, several from maranello, were exceptional at coaching and legitimately successful racers in europe and usa. All the cars had telemetry and camera systems and post-track lap time analysis with instructor.

Much fun but i would not necessarily pay for it myself. No one left with any regrets or disappointment for more car time thats for sure. One day was torrentially wet and they convinced MMC management to keep the track so that we could keep driving and allow organizer to assess the risk. You cannot put a price on driving a brand new 812 Superfast on track in the pouring rain with instructor allowing you to PUSH. Or learn how to drift control for 4 hours in a 488. Finally, BONUS rides in the 488 challenge

here is some footage; must love italian instructor passion: POWER, FULL POWER

It does sometimes help with allocation if working with the right people (in this case 488 pista and 488 pista spider both came through, though we have a long 15yr+ history with the dealer, no Super F cars though)

Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

^^Great feedback SuperQuant. Sounds like you have some really nice friends to pony up for this. It does sound like a first class event although I'd be scared to pig out at that buffet before hitting the track. That is cool to get the full mid and front engine Ferrari experience.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

I did this back in May 2017 at the Shanghai F1 track...attended the sport and advance course total 4 days. For the advance course they made the dates on Thursday and Friday before the Challenge weekend race so you could see some of the nice cars in the garages. Friday lunch break all the challenge cars came out for test runs for about one hour it was really nice seeing these cars rip it on the track. The F1 and Fxxk cars only came out on Saturday but I didnt stay for it but did hear the engines fire up which was awesome. I requested english speaking instructor so for all 4 days I got a blonde instructor who is a race car driver Overall I had a great time and experience to me it was well worth the price. The last 2 courses I believe is challenge and evolution which is also 2 days each but is only held in Italy where you have to wear full race suits and helmet but you get to drive Challenge race cars. Will probably attend these in near future

Old 02-12-2019, 11:48 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Not really interested in it. It is a "lifestyle course" with merchandise, hotels and so forth.
I've done the Porsche/BMW school thing before and it was great fun, but if you really want to compete in FIA/SCCA, spend your money on proper racing schools.
The big ones offer racer-development programs that are not really advertised. You need to ask for something and they can set it up, and you will be in a group of similar skilled drivers. I am a huge fan of Bondurant School, for example. You'll often get a kick out of finding who your classmates will be. Over the years I have had some Nascar drivers and such in my classes. They never use their real names which is kinda funny too. They're like..."jus' call me 'Jim' " hahaha! In one memorable school class I attended there was a porsche 'hot shoe/PCA instructor' being asked to step down to a lower-skill class. Naturally, he stormed out of the school and slammed the door. The point being...they don't stroke your egos at the real racing schools. They flat-out told that guy he was clueless and not-listening. (they told him politely tho). That is what I want. Tell me if I suck and how to fix it.
The Class size is as small as you want and can afford to pay, but 3-4 seem to be the norm. Then again, if I got a free school with my Ferrari purchase, I am sure I'd enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Have any GT owners paid up to take the Ferrari Pilota course?