Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any GT owners paid up to take the Ferrari Pilota course?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 03:53 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Have any GT owners paid up to take the Ferrari Pilota course?

Curious if there is anything amazing about these 2 d courses that START at $15.3K and go to $27K to justify the price? I bet the class sizes are small, but you could sure do a lot of good Porsche DEs for the cost of one of these.

J
Old 02-09-2019, 03:58 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Can't wait to hear the responses on this one. I hadn't even heard of the Ferrari driving school. One difference I notice is that it's in Italy instead of Alabama. Not that I don't love Alabama and all but . . .
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm fairly certain the people taking the course don't bat an eye at the price.....
Old 02-09-2019, 04:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Curious if there is anything amazing about these 2 d courses that START at $15.3K and go to $27K to justify the price? I bet the class sizes are small, but you could sure do a lot of good Porsche DEs for the cost of one of these.

J
You must've included flight costs because the Euro - $ exchange isn't that high; even when including VAT
Old 02-09-2019, 04:12 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

I have been told that with Ferrari this kind of thing is noted when they are handing out limited track car edition allocations of their cars.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:28 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I did the basic Ferrari course around 10 years ago- up at Mont-Tremblant. Drove all the variations of cars on different courses - track / wet skidpad / etc.

It included nice accommodations and was fun - but no real urgency to go back.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Have a buddy who did it; he enjoyed himself. Has moved on from Porsche to Ferrari.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Can't wait to hear the responses on this one. I hadn't even heard of the Ferrari driving school. One difference I notice is that it's in Italy instead of Alabama. Not that I don't love Alabama and all but . . .
Actually it looks like mostly east and west coast venues:

https://www.ferrariofnewportbeach.co...g-courses.html

J
Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

AMG has some super expensive driving academy as well, geared towards developing race skills.

Edit - I tried to find the link. Read about it in the last year. Not referring to the one that is like Porsche Driving Experience.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
AMG has some super expensive driving academy as well, geared towards developing race skills.

Edit - I tried to find the link. Read about it in the last year. Not referring to the one that is like Porsche Driving Experience.
AMG has the Driving Academy which the exact same thing as the Porsche Track experience, except that it's less expensive and uses different tracks around the country as opposed to just one. If you go through the different levels they both result in SCCA certification. (which I did through AMG last year)

What you may be talking about is the AMG Race Camp which started last year: https://www.mercedes-amg.com/driving...er_English.pdf

This is similar to Porsche's Level 1 Racing Experience: https://www.porsche.com/specials/en/...ience/level-1/

Again it is less expensive, but my understanding is that the AMG one isn't as focused on preparing owners for a racing series, it's more of a bucket list thing to drive real GT4 and GT3 cars in anger.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
AMG has the Driving Academy which the exact same thing as the Porsche Track experience, except that it's less expensive and uses different tracks around the country as opposed to just one. If you go through the different levels they both result in SCCA certification. (which I did through AMG last year)

What you may be talking about is AMG Race Camp which they started last year: https://www.mercedes-amg.com/driving...er_English.pdf

This is similar to Porsche's Level 1 Racing Experience: https://www.porsche.com/specials/en/...ience/level-1/

Again it is less expensive, but my understanding is that the AMG one isn't as focused on preparing owners for a racing series, it's more of a bucket list thing to drive real GT4 and GT3 cars in anger.
That's the one! I was starting to think I was dreaming.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't done one, but plan on doing one of the ferrari track events in the future, preferably the one in Italy/Europe. It helps you move up the ladder for future cars as well.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I'm fairly certain the people taking the course don't bat an eye at the price.....
+1

don't think that group includes us Eric.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:49 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the U.S. based courses are the most expensive, starting at $15K. The ones in Europe are quite a bit cheaper, but still very high. Ferrari dealers have all kinds of goals to meet in order to get better allocations and hold-back money. One of these is getting clients to attend events. So yes, if you want to have a chance of getting rare cars, going to a driving course every year would be one of the things you would do. And another would be to order every car, with lots and lots of expensive options. You'll lose your shirt from depreciation on the likes of Lussos and Californias but getting a Speciale Aperta or a Pista would be pretty nice, and a LaFerrari would more than make up for any depreciation from the lessor cars. But note that in many markets getting to the LaFerrari stage will be impossible or take until the end of time because there will be several long term customers way, way in front of you.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by utahrock
Actually the U.S. based courses are the most expensive, starting at $15K. The ones in Europe are quite a bit cheaper, but still very high. Ferrari dealers have all kinds of goals to meet in order to get better allocations and hold-back money. One of these is getting clients to attend events. So yes, if you want to have a chance of getting rare cars, going to a driving course every year would be one of the things you would do. And another would be to order every car, with lots and lots of expensive options. You'll lose your shirt from depreciation on the likes of Lussos and Californias but getting a Speciale Aperta or a Pista would be pretty nice, and a LaFerrari would more than make up for any depreciation from the lessor cars. But note that in many markets getting to the LaFerrari stage will be impossible or take until the end of time because there will be several long term customers way, way in front of you.
Lots of last time buyers these days. Stay optimistic.

Quick Reply: Have any GT owners paid up to take the Ferrari Pilota course?