Laguna Seca 91db "fix" question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
they were blowing 98 & 101 db
That is with valves open. So either all of their setups were not working (unlikely), or they moved / added a sound measurement location. Interesting...
Old 03-17-2019, 01:26 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

That is with valves open. So either all of their setups were not working (unlikely), or they moved / added a sound measurement location. Interesting...
Well, no Laguna days for me until someone figures this out :-(.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Ditto, I got flagged last year on an overcast day in a GT4 and don't want to dedicate a day to Laguna without knowing if they added another sound location (I just short shift, I should do the GPS fix).
Old 03-18-2019, 01:30 AM
K_style
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm going try to make it out to the 103db PCA GGR event at Laguna Seca in July.
same here
Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Did they add another sound booth?
That would be the only explanation. I have gps, sweeps but I also have a sharkwerks bypass on my car and I only blew a 93 last month. That was a cold day with wind blowing towards booth. I'm now running side deletes with OEM center and while I haven't tracked it there yet I can tell it is now much quieter then the sharkwerks with OEM sides.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I hope this isn't misinformation on Laguna sound and folks end up unnecessarily missing Laguna track days as a result... this thread is sounding very Dundon Marketing sponsored at the moment.

Looking forward to getting some fresh data here shortly by some folks heading to Laguna within a week.

Last edited by Mech33; 03-18-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:44 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

it's not dun don marketing - it's not misinformation - I don't believe there is a new sound booth (since black flags were presented at turn 7 for sound).

the facts are as follows

1. an unmodified '19 GT3 RS did not make sound - even with "lifting/upshifting" - 4 lap maximum is all he was able to achieve - I can not speak to how effectively the "lift/shift" technique was deployed
2. a modified 991.1 GT3 with small turn aways and a GPS device also did not make sound in any of four sessions - again owner claims to have tried "lift/shift"
3. an unmodified 991.1 GT3 with no turn aways did not make sound - again owner claims "lift/shift" between turns 5 & 6 but still got pop'd
4. a cayman with modified exhaust was also getting pop'd for sound - owner was distraught and claimed to have run at laguna before with no problems, but he was pull off track for sound multiple times.

all cars that I personally know about were running in the advanced/Red group with PCA California Central Coast Region @ Laguna on March 15th, 2019 - sound black flags were frequent/often while the red group was on track. The event was advertised as a 92 DB day - but the higher powered cars well having trouble passing sound.

Weather at Laguna was clear, sunny, 68-72 degrees - light winds (breeze really not wind)

My GT3 passed sound with the dundon quiet muffler - others did not. Draw what ever conclusions you want, but that's what happened.

Apologies if this sounds like marketing, it's not - and it's unpaid/uncompensated - I had _TWO_ separate GT3 owners chat with me over lunch about why I got to stay out during the session and they did not. I explained to them my muffler configuration. They were disappointed as their track days did not go well.

I have no reason to make this up - just reporting on the track day.

video here - with a. 3rd gear full throttle run past the sound booth from my GT3…

the same car and muffler has passed sound at Laguna two times before including a 90 DB day with PCA Diablo in Nov. 2018

as we all know sound can be a fickle thing - so I have no explanation as to why these cars were not passing sound, I can only report that they were not allowed to finish a session due to sound violations.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

If anyone is interested, I'll be listing a brand new in the box Dundon quiet muffler and tips for 991s soon. PM me if interested.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom
To the best of my knowledge, no one with a properly installed and functioning Track Nanny has been pulled off the track (for sound) when used on a STOCK car. Looking through your list, it does not look like any of those cars were both STOCK and had a Track Nanny. Car #1 didn't have a Track Nanny. Car #2 was modified, so all bets are off there. Car #3 didn't have a Track Nanny. Car #4 had a modified, so all bets off there too.

Overall, sounds like the db-police were active that day. While I have no basis to say either way if there's been a change, nothing about that list would have been surprising a year or two ago, so I don't think it (without more) suggests anything has changed. Modified cars can be too loud and lifting is more art than science, and hard to replicate lap after lap, especially with adrenaline flowing. That's been true since the sound booth first went up. By the way, one of the nice features of the Track Nanny is that it can be programmed on the fly, with the push of one button, so it can be taken from track to track, or make your car quiet in your own neighborhood, or to deal with new sound booth locations, etc.
Agreed with your skepticism, Tom. These details are a different impression than the original comment in the thread that suggested 3 different GT3s all with GPS and all with downturns couldn't pass sound:

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
3 other gt3’s with gps and turn downs all failed to pass sound on march 15th on a 92 DB day - only my gt3 with the quiet muffler was able to pass sound on this date
Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

my apologies - I never meant to imply all 3 GT3's had GPS it was a combination of GPS and turns downs - each of the cars was different.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

I think the useful info here from daveo4porsche is that he passed sound with the Dundon orange CM on both 90 & 92 db days with no Track Nanny and no turn downs. A while back Jamie told me an RS had passed with the orange muffler on a 92 db day so it's another good data point regarding the Dundon muffler.

The problem for me personally with the Dundon is that my car came with a sharkwerks CMB and the sound of that setup spoiled me. I'm not going to run a muffler that, with the valves open, is actually quieter then OEM with valves closed.

I've also wondered about potential heat issues with the Dundon. If it's not smart (as I have always been told) to run the entire track with the OEM valves wired shut how is this muffler able to suppress the sound as much or more then OEM and yet still provide the exhaust flow necessary to keep the system from overheating?
Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RDCR
I think the useful info here from daveo4porsche is that he passed sound with the Dundon orange CM on both 90 & 92 db days with no Track Nanny and no turn downs. A while back Jamie told me an RS had passed with the orange muffler on a 92 db day so it's another good data point regarding the Dundon muffler.

The problem for me personally with the Dundon is that my car came with a sharkwerks CMB and the sound of that setup spoiled me. I'm not going to run a muffler that, with the valves open, is actually quieter then OEM with valves closed.

I've also wondered about potential heat issues with the Dundon. If it's not smart (as I have always been told) to run the entire track with the OEM valves wired shut how is this muffler able to suppress the sound as much or more then OEM and yet still provide the exhaust flow necessary to keep the system from overheating?
Did you guys end up making it to Laguna last weekend and get to test sound?
Old 04-27-2019, 01:12 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Did you guys end up making it to Laguna last weekend and get to test sound?
Just reporting back: I didn’t have any problems at Laguna Seca last week...
Old 04-27-2019, 02:00 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just reporting back: I didn’t have any problems at Laguna Seca last week...
which car? Turn pipes? Aleks installed a gps module in my new 991.2 RS but I’m not sure if I need the turn pipes as well?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
which car? Turn pipes? Aleks installed a gps module in my new 991.2 RS but I’m not sure if I need the turn pipes as well?
Turn pipes plus GPS for 90 dB day. You’ll need pipes for 90, but probably not for 92.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca 91db "fix" question