Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Can you use an Impact Gun on Centerlock?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:25 PM
sushisean
User

Default Can you use an Impact Gun on Centerlock?

I've looked all over the forum to no avail, and I'm surprised. Maybe a dumb question, but does anyone use an impact wrench to make your wheel swaps faster on center lock wheels? I just picked up the "Milwaukee M18 FUEL w/ONE-KEY 3/4" High Torque Impact Wrench Kit 2864-22" which has more than enough torque, and maybe more importantly can be adjusted to lower the torque to avoid damage.

I know the cup cars obviously use these tools with their steel nuts. What about us street guys? Will I damage the nut?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM
A/S
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're guaranteed to destroy the CL system using any impact gun. That's a $7,000+ repair bill, and if any future buyer is a picky as I'm with service records, and I see a car that got all the CL hubs and nuts replaced, I would just simply walk away from buying the car, as I would have no idea of what other type of negligence has been put into that car maintenance.

Do a search on the CL changing wheels/tires procedure in this forum, and it is very detailed. I have swapped wheels more than 50 times on these CL cars, it is very easy to damage the nuts and the hubs even with proper tools.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:35 PM
RDCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 PM
neurotic
Addict
Rennlist Member

nope
Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Quikag
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 PM
CobaltCr
User

Manual says not to. As others have said you will damage the nut.

A/S, the centerlocks and hubs are a wear item that are supposed to be replaced based on track mileage and ability to retain torque spec. So I wouldn't worry if they were replaced, I'd worry about not replacing them if the car was utilized at the track as intended.

Originally Posted by A/S
You're guaranteed to destroy the CL system using any impact gun. That's a $7,000+ repair bill, and if any future buyer is a picky as I'm with service records, and I see a car that got all the CL hubs and nuts replaced, I would just simply walk away from buying the car, as I would have no idea of what other type of negligence has been put into that car maintenance.

Do a search on the CL changing wheels/tires procedure in this forum, and it is very detailed. I have swapped wheels more than 50 times on these CL cars, it is very easy to damage the nuts and the hubs even with proper tools.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Pointbye
User

Where are you racing?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 AM
Dr.Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

When in doubt RTFM!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: