Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber defects

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:14 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

I am lucky, did not realize there were so many problems. I had Esoteric inspect mine, they did the paint correction. I have been training to do this myself and have on other cars, but was afraid to on the 2RS. I am very happy with the cf. These are poor quality pics. Next time I am in the garage I will look again. So far, this appears to be the highest quality car I have owned. Esoteric said there were no paint defects that paint correction didn't take care of, and fewer on this car than most. Leather, stitching, other areas I have inspected look just right to me.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:22 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Where the parts is made makes no difference on the quality, it's the company that makes the difference. On my CGT and every other CGT on the marketplace, the rear diffuser is made in Italy and every single one of them has delaminated and needed a full respray of clearcoat. Of course, the Italian supplier went out of business many years later.

If China can make iPhones and MacBooks, they can make a simple product like a side air intake in carbon fiber. If you need to blame it on someone, you need to blame Porsche, who approved the spec of the product in the first place.

Originally Posted by 2006m5
what is crazy the Germans went to the Chinese......I'm scratching my head.
why why why!
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (09-24-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:13 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Where the parts is made makes no difference on the quality, it's the company that makes the difference. On my CGT and every other CGT on the marketplace, the rear diffuser is made in Italy and every single one of them has delaminated and needed a full respray of clearcoat. Of course, the Italian supplier went out of business many years later.

If China can make iPhones and MacBooks, they can make a simple product like a side air intake in carbon fiber. If you need to blame it on someone, you need to blame Porsche, who approved the spec of the product in the first place.
Well said. Typical stereotype on Chinese made goods. Not fair.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

There's a reason why painted CF hood is an option now. Less problem to deal with if carbon quality isn't that great.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

chinese probably have the best technology in CF manufacturing,
PAG prolly didnt pay them enough to do it
the piece shown was not well made, likely on $ constraint on the tech constraint.,
white CF is very light. it's really benefit if strength vs wt. if you simple want low wt like that intake side piece. just use plastic.
many ppl are fascinated with CF weave. you don't buy CF b/c of the weave. weave is the result of how you lay the fabric to get the strength you want. CF is not meant to look nice. in fact it should look if you designed it for layering of strength and min wt. some of the best CF bicycle frames are made of 100's of tiny little fabric. without paint it looks like POS, but that's not a concern if. yo want to use CF for the right purpose. just paint it after.

you know if like trying to use concrete in tensions. sure it could work, but conc is way higher in compressive strength. use the material right.
and if you WP has no effect now. it WILL. the clear coat and resin will turn yellow. it's only a matter to when not if.
it is the nature of the beast.
just like u will get wrinkled by the time you are 50yo, if not sooner.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

^Pure words of wisdom. My father headed the composite materials division at an aerospace company making parts for satellites and rockets in 80s and 90s, he is baffled when he sees CF trim inside a car!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
My buddies 2RS has this issue and he is getting a new hood, unfortunately non painted like current weissach and there is some issue with having it VIN matched/engine code matched.

FWIW, my weissach gt3rs hood does not have any noticeable defects.
VIN matched?
there is no VIN# on the part
Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
VIN matched?
There is a vin matched sticker/mark in the top left along the inside of the hood. It sits parallel to the hood as it’s closed.

Apparently, this can’t be replicated on a the replacement part.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
And this is cold setup, no pressure CF fabrication. You do not get voids like that hood in a pressure/temp drawn autoclave.
What you do get from cold setup is low density yield resulting in CF that yellows soon in the future (Ferrari Scuderia intake/plenum recall).

I believe I saw Porsche were charging $18k for this Weissach option...Have profits become so important that it comes to this.... smh
The parts are indeed autoclave but there is a bonding issue with the clear coat and the resin.

It is not completely uncommon to see this but the QC department should have rejected this.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
what is crazy the Germans went to the Chinese......I'm scratching my head.
why why why!
fyi this is the same factory that made the 918 carbon parts
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Going through something very similar to this on my RS currently. It is not a defect as far as separation of the clear and the carbon but sanding marks that can be seen once the hood is raised. This should have never left the factory. Now the problem here is the dealer is wanting to take a look at the defects with their own eyes (which I understand) but the car is currently at Detailed Designs Auto Spa getting the paint protection and Modesta coating on the car. The problem here is planning my schedule around their schedule of when they can look at the car just to tell me what they will do to clean up this mess. So far it is very frustrating because from the images you can see this is just on a part of the hood that cannot be seen until the hood is open. Add in the fact the area of the hood that is effected by this defect is also one of the parts of the hood with where the clear coat can be very thin. Beyond frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtec...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It doesn’t matter if the part was made in Germany, China or Zimbabwe. It is on Porsche to make sure things are right.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (09-24-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
VIN matched?
Looked at mine today. It actually has the vin number and the engine number.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:32 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had no idea...
Is that the case for all CF hoods on the GT2 and GT3 RS?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

The rear quarter cf vents are very high quality regardless of them being made in China. I have handled a few sets and the tolerances are tight and real thought went into how the outward facing weave was laid.

The engine lid part is literally the nicest cf part I have ever held in my hands.

Front fender cf louvers are nice enough but not perfect. The not perfect part is an area no one will see unless they are removing them and it's reasonable to not expect otherwise unseen areas to be perfect.

The painted RS front fenders are well made but never have dialed in paint.

Rear bumpers are all plastered with superficial defects commensurate with the front bumper and front fenders.

CF mirrors are hazy/swirled up but otherwise *very well made*.

The hoods with exposed cf have room for improvement from what I have seen.

Overall, Porsche still makes the absolute best car at these pricepoints and even beyond. I imagine RS's must be produced using vendors which specialize in composite parts as it could not be a simple thing to produce such complex composite parts in-house for so many cars(and inventory). So, either Porsche locates someone who can produce enough good enough parts or they dumb down the car and make them with fewer composite parts.

The larger the composite part, the more likely that there will be unattractive aspects of them. And it is reasonable to not expect absolute perfection. But...and this is a big one, there can be defects that are deal breakers and they should be addressed by a dealer/Porsche.

There are bound to be challenges they face which it is easy to criticize from the outside but I stand by my statement that these are, baseline, the best performance cars for the money in terms of build quality/material make up.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as it's just my .02 and that isn't worth a whole bunch by itself. But I've been fortunate enough get up close and personal with a number of them.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber defects