Rev matching with Sport Mode - GT3 v/s GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 01:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by e6tme
Does the "no-lift shift" function work regardless of sport mode? Maybe that programming is somehow induced during my downshifts? I dunno.
Yes, the No-Lift is active all the time. It even works at part throttle (as long as you hold the throttle position steady during the shift).
Old 01-31-2019, 01:28 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Well... different yes, but GT4 seemed "better" in that it is more predictable and shifts the same way each time... where as the GT3 seems to do what it wants and acts like you're what's wrong with it.
Sounds like my ex
Old 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Funny, as I think part of my issue is that I have to unlearn how I drove the same exact track in the GT4 now that I'm in a GT3. Those damn long and tall 2nd gear runs have ruined me!

Listen to these GT4 rev matches...

Now this...(just having fun with my buddy)
Joe, I have not driven a 991.2 GT3 manual, but based on my observation on the video, it seems like the GT3 is applying the rev blip much later in the shifting process than the GT4. This is probably due to the fact that the gears are closer together and the inertia may also be less. So if the GT3 applied the blip at the same point as the GT4, it would probably have the hold the revs while our slow human limbs finished the shift.

The GT4's blipping is more in line with the timing of how I actually do it myself when sport mode is off, which is probably why it feels so natural (and reassuring, since the revs are applied as you enter the gate for the gear).

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, the No-Lift is active all the time. It even works at part throttle (as long as you hold the throttle position steady during the shift).
Is that a bummer for you?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Is that a bummer for you?
No, never unintentionally gets in the way and pretty cool to use sometimes (totally seamless upshifts at any throttle). If you just drive normally (release the throttle while upshifting), you wouldn't know it has No-Lift available...It lets you rev match manually yourself on the upshifts too. The only time it engages automatically is if you hit the clutch and keep the throttle position totally the same (whether fully to the floor or some intermediate setting). Any movement of the throttle during the shift will disable the No-Lift...
Old 01-31-2019, 04:34 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Once on track, you'll find that you get into a rhythm with your shift and braking points and the Auto Rev Match becomes very predictable and reliable. I don't really bother with the Auto Rev Match on the road (do it myself there and I wouldn't need it on the track either if the pedal positions were better for my heel-toe needs - thinking about a Rennline adjustable gas pedal).
Grant

From my experience this weekend on the track, you are spot on. At times I automatically went to rev match myself and no auto blip would occur if I had my foot on the accelerator. If my foot was off the accelerator the automatic rev match would occur. I had no problems at all with the auto rev match if I did not have my foot on the accelerator. I had no problems with the auto rev match even going do 2 gears very quickly from 4 to 2.

Regards

Pranqster
Old 01-31-2019, 04:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

The difference I feel is that the GT3 sort of changes to your driving style so it is weird. So feels inconsistent. But - it also holds on to the revs longer which takes some getting used too.

I think the GT3 more programmed for the track and GT4 to the street.

But after about 9 month I forgot about the GT4 and really do love the Gt3. Just a fine tuned, high strung beast
Old 01-31-2019, 06:09 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Listen to these GT4 rev matches...

Now this...(just having fun with my buddy)
That GT4 sure sounds better than the GT3!
Is that an aftermarket exhaust? Or different mic placement?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
That GT4 sure sounds better than the GT3!
Is that an aftermarket exhaust? Or different mic placement?
GT4 OEM exhaust but mic was externally mounted just above it on the license plate. I haven't figured out how to run the wire from the cabin back to the outside just yet on the GT3.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

GT4 exhaust is not as loud as the GT3 but it does have a great sound/tone.

Porsche was no fool- the knew it would have an inferior engine but they did their best to make it sound a lot quicker than it really was in reality.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I feel like the rev match on my GT3 works perfectly. I have noticed if I accidentally try to rev match myself in Sport mode, it will override the system and will not rev automatically.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Joe, I have not driven a 991.2 GT3 manual, but based on my observation on the video, it seems like the GT3 is applying the rev blip much later in the shifting process than the GT4.
I think you nailed it. "Much later" may be .001 of a sec... but it seems so different. I'll keep on it and see if there is a rhythm. Glad to see the interest and input here...can't believe that this one is still on topic.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't quite broken in the engine, but the car has missed a handful of 4-3 downshift blips. And maybe it was for the reasons noted above. I'll pay more attention next time. But a few times on a canyon run, it is disconcerting when the expected blip doesn't occur and you get an aggressive thump. I assume all of this is software and maybe Porsche can adjust it if it needs some work. My GT4 was so intuitive.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Would this have anything to do with why SMFW wasn't compatible with the 991.2 GT3 engine? Seems like for both no-lift shift and the observed differences in rev-match behavior the end result is tighter control of mid-shift flywheel acceleration/deceleration in the GT3.

Quick Reply: Rev matching with Sport Mode - GT3 v/s GT4