Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 GT3... considering options

Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 PM
mknightcap
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 GT3... considering options

Hey everyone, I have a 2018 GT3 (manual) and thinking of going for an RS or a Turbo S.

I know the difference in driving styles, just would prefer the PDK to really get the full performance out of the engine.

I ordered this car with the intention of it being a long term hold but after driving the RS, I am thinking that might be the way to go. Since it is so hard to get an allocation, I'm thinking of possibly going with a convertible turbo S for the time being.

Would love to hear from you.. is it totally crazy to go from a highly optioned GT3 to a turbo s or just keep it until an allocation opens up.

Option B.. just sell the car now since it has about 1k on the clock.

First world problems lol

and wait for the right opportunity?

Here are some pics of mine..
Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM
mknightcap
Track Day

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac
I may be able to help you get a configurable RS Allocation for April build and May delivery for a small ADM and a nice trade in value for your manual gt3. PM me for details !
not sure why I can’t PM from my phone but send me an email w your contact info at mknightcap@gmail.com

Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Of those options i would trade in the GT3 and get an RS. Forget about the Turbo. You will most likely be bored with it in 6 months max, and then you’ll take a big depreciation hit when you sell it. You will love the RS. I just saw my buddy’s yesterday. Amazing!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:06 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want an RS then you should get an RS. However, I really don't follow your thinking though, a Turbo S cab is even further away from an RS than your GT3. It doesn't seem to me that the transmission is the issue here.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:16 AM
mknightcap
Track Day

Originally Posted by KM1959
If you want an RS then you should get an RS. However, I really don't follow your thinking though, a Turbo S cab is even further away from an RS than your GT3. It doesn't seem to me that the transmission is the issue here.
We get these cars for the power and the thrill of it all. After driving a friend’s turbo s, I loved the acceleration and handling. It would just be a place holder until the RS allocation and I’d get a slightly used one so not to take the massive dep hit.

My GT3 is spec’d pretty much like a turbo S would be anyway. Would rather the PDK window it’s so good!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:27 AM
mknightcap
Track Day

I may be able to help you get a configurable RS Allocation for April build and May delivery for a small ADM and a nice trade in value for your manual gt3. PM me for details !
PM feature not working. Im at MKnightCap @ Gmail
Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Trade in the GT3 and get the most you can while it is practically new. The RS is what you want. The PDK-S unlocks these cars and makes speed more accessible. It is much harder to extract in the manual, which a lot of the guys around here like. I can see both views but sell the GT3 and get on the RS train. Whatever you drive in the interim is irrelevant.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Trade in the GT3 and get the most you can while it is practically new. The RS is what you want. The PDK-S unlocks these cars and makes speed more accessible. It is much harder to extract in the manual, which a lot of the guys around here like. I can see both views but sell the GT3 and get on the RS train. Whatever you drive in the interim is irrelevant.

Concur with rob...^

The PDK-S really enables you to wring out and wind up hard that fast revving 4.0 as it also helps put the power down in a consistent manner.... plus avoiding money shifts too.

OP- go straight to getting the RS if you're really longing for that as your end goal. Then again you'll only reap that fully on the track.... on open roads, the plain GT3/GT3 Touring is already alot of car and performance. For example, I know I'm perfectly content with my .2 GT3 since it's already near darn perfect for mixed street & track use. But as stated, if RS is what you truly want and willing to pay the big price difference then bite the bullet & act now with your GT3 while the miles are low and the hype is peaking.

Once the 992 GT# rolls around, the never ending circle starts again.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

You consider a $25K ADM small?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I had a 991.2 Turbo S Cab (traded my 991.1 Turbo Cab on it) when I was offered an allocation to build a GT3 Touring. Accepting the allocation was one of the best decisions I've made, despite the huge hit in Turbo's depreciated value after only having 5 months in service.
Turbo S despite blistering straight line acceleration was a bit of a snooze. It always feels big, heavy and soft with a sound that is less than inspiring(even with a Europipe exhaust), which I guess is the target it is marketed to.
If this is your desire, then a Turbo S may be the car for you. It's not a bad car, it was just not the car for me at this time...

You only live once.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
You consider a $25K ADM small?
Its going to be between 20-25k depending on the trade in value for his Gt3. If you compare to what configurable allocations were going for in last 6 months, it is small i think ...guess the word "small" is relative
Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Have you thought about trying to trade your manual GT3 for a PDK GT3 straight up or with cash? Just another option.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Its going to be between 20-25k depending on the trade in value for his Gt3. If you compare to what configurable allocations were going for in last 6 months, it is small i think ...guess the word "small" is relative
I would call it moderate .....so it's $25K ADM but if he takes $5K less on the trade offer it's only $20K?.....I love the dealers numbers game they try to spin....
Old 01-31-2019, 12:44 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Have you thought about trying to trade your manual GT3 for a PDK GT3 straight up or with cash? Just another option.
/\ /\ +1
Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by mknightcap
I know the difference in driving styles, just would prefer the PDK to really get the full performance out of the engine.
Could you say a bit more about how you expect to get more from the engine with PDK. There are very few instances where PDK will do this and a few where you will actually get more performance from the Manual (less internal friction, so in-gear acceleration is actually slightly stronger with Manual). On a road course, there is almost no difference (0.2 sec per lap when Randy Pobst lapped Big Willow with both and the PDK car had better performance options). On a drag strip, advantage to the PDK for better launches and less wear on the clutch...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 GT3... considering options