Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 GT3... considering options

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Trade the manual GT3 now, while the values are still up. See what deal you can get for an RS allocation, must be a guaranteed allocation, with that GT3 as a trade in. You can also go ahead and trade it in for a place holder Porsche, so long as the dealer still gives you a guaranteed buy back price for the place holder together with a guaranteed RS allocation and price.Shop around, wheel and deal. You may be unhappy with the manual GT3, but it's not like you have a bad car to deal with. There are manual tranny fanatics out there. The one thing you SHOULD NOT do is trade the GT3 in for a place holder and leave everything else to chance.

The only thing I can think of that would upset the above scenario is if you think you would be happier with a TurboS even over the RS. I know a lot of guys who prefer the Turbo S over the GT cars. Low end grunt, better for touring, back seats...…...Then no brainer: go for it NOW!
Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM
mknightcap
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Trade the manual GT3 now, while the values are still up. See what deal you can get for an RS allocation, must be a guaranteed allocation, with that GT3 as a trade in. You can also go ahead and trade it in for a place holder Porsche, so long as the dealer still gives you a guaranteed buy back price for the place holder together with a guaranteed RS allocation and price.Shop around, wheel and deal. You may be unhappy with the manual GT3, but it's not like you have a bad car to deal with. There are manual tranny fanatics out there. The one thing you SHOULD NOT do is trade the GT3 in for a place holder and leave everything else to chance.

The only thing I can think of that would upset the above scenario is if you think you would be happier with a TurboS even over the RS. I know a lot of guys who prefer the Turbo S over the GT cars. Low end grunt, better for touring, back seats...…...Then no brainer: go for it NOW!
Your post is spot on!

I’m not unhappy with the manual, but launch controls in the pdk are ridiculous.

I havent done a LC with mine just cause the engine is so new. Good news is the breaks don’t squeek as much anymore.

Im leaning for the RS since it’s more rare and raw power. Hope to get a configurable allocation.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Could you say a bit more about how you expect to get more from the engine with PDK. There are very few instances where PDK will do this and a few where you will actually get more performance from the Manual (less internal friction, so in-gear acceleration is actually slightly stronger with Manual). On a road course, there is almost no difference (0.2 sec per lap when Randy Pobst lapped Big Willow with both and the PDK car had better performance options). On a drag strip, advantage to the PDK for better launches and less wear on the clutch...
Hey Grant, one thing that comes to mind is just less driver workload with the PDK. So I don't think it is a car performance advantage, but rather a driver workload performance advantage. You are really good with the manual, as is Tyler and Andrew. But a lot of guys (myself included) would run up against limits in a manual well before they hit those same limits in a PDK. Bottom line it is just easier to go stupid fast in the PDK for most drivers. Of course, there is the challenge of the manual, getting the shifts right, etc. but some of us are too lazy to learn and we just want to go fast lol.

BTW, when are we going to get the cars out?! It is supposed to be sunny and 53 tomorrow. Roads are probably total crap though.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:32 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Off topic, but leather/red stitching on the back of the seats? I didn't even know that was an option. Looks cool.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:32 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

If you can get an RS, get one or wait for one. I would NOT go for a Turbo S in the mean time; you will regret it.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 PM
mknightcap
Track Day

Originally Posted by shamoo
Off topic, but leather/red stitching on the back of the seats? I didn't even know that was an option. Looks cool.
haha yeah, it’s a turbo s spec in a GT3. That’s what attracted me to this build.

And for those who love manuals, even better 😂😎
Old 01-31-2019, 01:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
BTW, when are we going to get the cars out?! It is supposed to be sunny and 53 tomorrow. Roads are probably total crap though.
Yeah, I think the fun roads are pretty bad this time of year. And my driveway is currently an ice skating rink Hard not to get excited with all the local guys getting RS's this week

Will be a good weekend for your new luxury mountain dominator
Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, I think the fun roads are pretty bad this time of year. And my driveway is currently an ice skating rink Hard not to get excited with all the local guys getting RS's this week

Will be a good weekend for your new luxury mountain dominator
Your driveway sounds like mine! Saw Sean's RS yesterday. Man that thing looks good. Love the GR and black, especially with the Weissach package. All the little changes from the .1 RS really add up on the .2. Looks mean!

Yeah, the LX is a tank! Built for this place.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:40 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Like the seats in the car- almost everyone has the LWB which are made for track and difficult exit/entry.
Actually looking for used/new car now.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I would keep the manual. The PDK is great in the RS and noticeably improved vs the .1's but it's still not as involving as a manual.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:01 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed the "sofas" in you gt3.
You mentioned a Turbo S
Why do you really want the RS ?
Will you be putting sofas in the RS ?
You said the plan is to keep long term. Depreciation is only an issue when you sell.
Based on the above the RS seems to be a terrible fit. Go the turbo S route along with sofas as LWBS are not an option.Turbo S seems like the best fit for you. Personally I would hate to pay an ADM and have buyers remorse.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Patrick Bateman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the GT3
Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

@OP you can always trade it for a .2 GT3 PDK or for a .1 RS
Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 PM
mknightcap
Track Day

So I sold it today to a dealer on a great deal.

On to the next one
Old 01-31-2019, 11:50 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mknightcap
So I sold it today to a dealer on a great deal.

On to the next one
Have you decided on the next one? Anything confirmed?

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3... considering options