Sponsored by:

NEED ADVICE ON GT3 TIRE PUNCTURE

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:26 AM
kaimuki
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE ON GT3 TIRE PUNCTURE

My excitement at having reached break in miles (1100 currently) was tempered by finding that my left rear was at 16lbs one morning this week. I re-inflated it and drove gingerly around the area finding that the pressure stayed normal that evening but was back down in the morning. I suspect there is a nail or similar in the tire as I haven't had any sidewall mishaps or pothole encounters. So some questions...

Do I take it to my dealer and perhaps engender a huge charge compared to a tire place?

Do folks on the RL trust Tire Rack and similar for this kind of stuff, obviously with the center lock socket provided to them
I had an issue with my M3 years ago at a garage where they found a sidewall issue but lacked a replacement tire. The tire would hold air but they refused to put it back on the car because of liability issues. So I will make sure any non dealership shop has a replacement first.

If it is "just" a nail in the tread, repairing it and monitoring it closely seems reasonable. But would that make it a no go for the handful of track days I had hoped to do this summer?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 AM
home7271
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

kaimuki,

I see you are from Mercer island. I had a puncture and a slow leak on the drive back after picking up my brand new 3rs in Beaverton. Went to the dealer in Bellevue and they don't recommend repairing these tires. Went to Cantrell and they plugged the tire free of charge. Was told if I take it to the track, I should get a new tire. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:51 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you don't have something simple like a valve leak - spray a little soapy water on the valve to check. Would still need a repair but no replacement tire whether tracking it or not
Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Patch - I'm with home7271. I wouldn't patch it if I plan to track the car. And (for me) I'd only patch it as a temporary solution. It's a really cool car. Why not just pay the $400 or whatever to have a nice tire on it?

Tire Rack - Sure. I'd trust them to ship the tire. I'd be a little careful about the installer. The CL's are annoying and have a specific process associated with re-torquing them. But if they do a lot of high end stuff (inc. Porsche Turbo), I'd be fine with it. Definitely doesn't require a trip to the dealer. I think if they have the right torque wrench and know to set torque with the wheel off the ground that's probably a decent indicator they are competent.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:11 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Several isssues:
1. Porsche will not allow dealers to patch or plug a tire.
2. As someone else posted check that the schrader valve (where you put air in) is screwed in tight. Requires a small $2.00 tool from any auto parts store.
3. Over inflate the tire then listen carefully and look around you should probably hear or see if there is anything in the tire.
4. If there is a nail or screw in the tread....not in the sidewall, and it’s a rear tire, it can be patched from the inside not plugged. You can then track the car.

Having said that and your talking about a high end car, I would recommend that you follow 1-3 above and if there is a something in the tire, take it to the dealer for proper replacement.
VERY IMPORTANT, don’t let the dealer buy the tire. You need to buy the tire from Tire Rack and have it shipped to the dealer. It won’t save you any money BUT because Porsche won’t allow patching, Tire Racks free warranty completely replaces the tire if you get a future puncture. Won’t apply if dealer BYU’s the tire.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:31 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be surprised if many tire shops even have the adapter for the centerlock that fits on the balancing machine. If the tire is repaired it will have to be dismounted, fixed, balanced, and mounted. Most shops in my area have no clue, so make sure they have it or it will not be balanced properly. If they repair the tire, make sure it is plugged from the inside with a high quality plug that is rated for warranty. Even with the highest quality plug, using that tire on the track is not a good idea.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:46 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Not to add to confusion.... GT3 tires are filled with Nitrogen to my understanding. Most shops do not have Nitrogen. Is it safe to fill / refill with regular compressed air (which I know is mostly Nitrogen anyway) or a must one use straight Nitrogen?

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get my tires properly patched each time I get a puncture, and they are fine on track. I don't believe in the big scare about tires failing since they are internally cord reinforced.

If you do not have a trusted shop or friend that has CL tools, buy the tools and DIY. The tools will eventually pay for itself with all that you save paying the other's rates. Then take the loose tire to any tire shop, and patch/replace as you see fit.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Not to add to confusion.... GT3 tires are filled with Nitrogen to my understanding. Most shops do not have Nitrogen. Is it safe to fill / refill with regular compressed air (which I know is mostly Nitrogen anyway) or a must one use straight Nitrogen?
Yes. It is safe to fill with regular air.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Take it to Cantrell, you are less than 10 miles from him.
I don't let anyone else in the PNW touch my tires or Centerlocks
Originally Posted by kaimuki
My excitement at having reached break in miles (1100 currently) was tempered by finding that my left rear was at 16lbs one morning this week. I re-inflated it and drove gingerly around the area finding that the pressure stayed normal that evening but was back down in the morning. I suspect there is a nail or similar in the tire as I haven't had any sidewall mishaps or pothole encounters. So some questions...

Do I take it to my dealer and perhaps engender a huge charge compared to a tire place?

Do folks on the RL trust Tire Rack and similar for this kind of stuff, obviously with the center lock socket provided to them
I had an issue with my M3 years ago at a garage where they found a sidewall issue but lacked a replacement tire. The tire would hold air but they refused to put it back on the car because of liability issues. So I will make sure any non dealership shop has a replacement first.
If it is "just" a nail in the tread, repairing it and monitoring it closely seems reasonable. But would that make it a no go for the handful of track days I had hoped to do this summer?
Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Yes, standard air contains 79% Nitrogen and can be mixed with 100% Nitrogen without issue. I use pharmaceutical grade air from SCUBA tanks, it is very dry and free of moisture

There is a very good reason they will not patch a shoulder of the tire.
I patched a hole 3 inches from the edge on a DD car and after 6k Miles that patched hole had turned into a slit, setting off my TPMS. I'll never do that again
Old 01-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Nitrogen is free of moisture so tire pressure does not change so much with heat. I have a refrigerated air dryer on my compressor, same thing. I do have Nitrogen in my trailer to top off after bleeding.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

Patch the tire and move on with it .... I have patched tires from the inside for decades ...... I have done it for years even on my sport bikes and never a problem .... Truck dealerships do this regularly as well ... sure Porsche wants to sell you a new tire and to CYA (cover their butts ) but it is not necessary.

Porsche wanted to charge me double for all season tires "Z" rated for my Cayenne and I told them to put on H rated and they wouldn't because Porsche does not recommend them... Who needs Z rated all seasons ???
Old 01-30-2019, 04:46 PM
kaimuki
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks to all! Will be making a trip to Cantrell when work eases up.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Shipwreck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same exact situation about 2 weeks ago. Break in miles have been hard on my car, haha. Rock chip and cracked windshield at 250mi, but that’s a story for another day. 1100ish miles on my 2018 GT3 and picked up a nail in the left rear tire. Fortunately the puncture was nowhere near the sidewall. I bought a torque wrench and breaker bar off of Amazon, it was delivered 2 days later. I removed the wheel myself, took it to Discount Tire, they patched it, filled it, and balanced it (for free) and I put the wheel/tire back on the car. No issues yet, knock on wood.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 AM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kaimuki
Thanks to all! Will be making a trip to Cantrell when work eases up.
I second Cantrell, but if you're too busy, Blake Siebe of Northwest Auto Salon just started a new mobile tire business called, "Right Away Tire"

I had him come to my place to install new tires and he's terrific! Experienced with Center Locks and has all new top shelf equipment in his Sprinter.

1-877-34-TIRES or service@rightawaytire.com

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE ON GT3 TIRE PUNCTURE