Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly Trofeo R's spin on your OEM wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How badly Trofeo R's spin on your OEM wheels?

Trofeo R is the fastest street legal and street driveable tire in Europe, excluding CUP2R that seems to be only available with RS sizes and $$$.

I've used these Pirellis in powerful Porsches with many different wheels (OEM, BBS, OZ, Rotiform to mention some brands) but they always spin on the wheels causing some imbalance.
Typically I feel the difference at around 160km/h - 200km/h speeds, below or above those speeds it's better, so it's not huge but really irritating still.

The best way to avoid this slippage is to have the wheel beads resurfaced for better grip, that I've done already with my BBS FI rims in my 996 track car via BBS Motorsport.

Now, even though I do lapping with 991 GT3 with the Trofeo R's, I haven't specifically tried them on the OEM wheels, but some of my buddies have the same issue with the OEM wheels. What about you? How you do the installation and at what speeds you suffer for imbalance?

And yes, I've heard about using tire glue and hair spray and mounting them dry etc - all that has not helped me with serious track driving and I don't have the possibilities to warm the tires up really slowly (not that I do burnouts when the tires are cold tires and at low pressure either).

Here's a pic of my car, 7.14 BTG in TF traffic done in 2018...

P.S. The stock settings of the car did suck at the track, had bad understeer and a loose rear, glad the suspension is adjustable, now it's perfect!

Thanks for your views!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I have found the balance of the Trofeo R on my 600 lt is pretty bad admittedly as well, actually planning on changing the tires to either normal corsas or even Michelin PSS tires (still some of my favorite tires for the road period, even if I have to sacrifice a bit of grip
Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I spun all sorts of tires on all sorts of rims too on various Porsches. Some brands worse than others...tried hair spray and mounting dry and bead blasting the wheels bead. Mounting dry and a rough wheel bead with lines dug into it seems to work best. I had some Forgeline wheels and they stamp in these knurled lines on the wheel bead and that helped a lot too.

I have a 2018 GT3 with stock wheels and tires....havent exactly tracked it yet...only a couple laps before it rained at Sebring. heading back to the track in a few weeks.

Suspension is stock. What settings did you find to work for you. Camber? Toe? Ride Height? Rake?

Thanks Mike

Quick Reply: How badly Trofeo R's spin on your OEM wheels?