Sponsored by:

IMSA RANT “ROLEX”

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 AM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default IMSA RANT “ROLEX”

Racing is inherently dangerous, but with proper safety precautions, most risks can be mitigated. I’ve followed IMSA for nearly 45 years and have attended the Rolex in various weather conditions. I have respect for IMSA officials, but what I saw yesterday was shocking! Not only was there millions of dollars in damage to cars, but driver’s safety were at risk. In my 45 years, I can say without question those were the worst weather related conditions I’ve ever seen at a Racing event.
I believe the IMSA officials were careless and placed the need to satisfy the commercial side of their business over the safety of the drivers. Why in the world would IMSA allow cars capable of 190 MPH race in those conditions? Visibility couldn’t have been more than 10’ to 20’ at some locations. No one can say otherwise with any level of believable affirmation.
IMSA you are much better than this. As an open request, please learn from this event and not repeat what occurred.
Rant over, looking forward to Sebring.
JB
Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

what is funny is that i have seen some spectators claim that IMSA was too soft and should have never stoped the race. They felt that if the drivers were true "pros" they could work with it...

I know some drivers said it wasnt a good call to keep the race going in that type of rain.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

I was at the race for the full 24 hours.

The conditions were poor overall from just before sunrise to the end of the race.

My interpretation of events is that IMSA wanted to go green long enough to ensure that the favored teams won: WTR / Alonso and BMW in light of Charly Lamm's death and Alex Zanardi's presence (although not the Zanardi car).

IMSA made no effort to go green after the second red flag, although those conditions were better than the period of green flag racing - they had their dream outcome.

Recall also the lack of penalty on RIcky Taylor after he turned the Mustang Sampling car entering the infield with ~ 10 minutes to go in 2017; Jeff Gordon was in the WTR car that year...
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it's a damn if you do, damn if you don't, type scenario.

But I Agree with the shortened (kinda) call to the race. There was a lot of Carnage.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:52 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Daytona 2019 was an amalgam of messy weather and messier political considerations from BoP shenanigans to Alonzo/Zanardi/Lamm feeding the rumor mill. The pre-weather first half was racing.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:58 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

All I can say is that neither Geoff Carter nor Simon Hodgson have the most popular jobs in the world when it comes to the overly political nature of IMSA. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Nobody is ever happy with BoP. C'est la vie.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:01 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I was at the race for the full 24 hours.

The conditions were poor overall from just before sunrise to the end of the race.

My interpretation of events is that IMSA wanted to go green long enough to ensure that the favored teams won: WTR / Alonso and BMW in light of Charly Lamm's death and Alex Zanardi's presence (although not the Zanardi car).

IMSA made no effort to go green after the second red flag, although those conditions were better than the period of green flag racing - they had their dream outcome.

Recall also the lack of penalty on RIcky Taylor after he turned the Mustang Sampling car entering the infield with ~ 10 minutes to go in 2017; Jeff Gordon was in the WTR car that year...
Exactly my thought, there was a clear intention with the time on the clock to delay the decision of going back to green so that WTR clinched the overall - best case scenario from IMSA's perspective.

NBC sure didn't have an issue keeping the camera on the WTR tent the entire red flag period before calling the race so they could capture the response to calling it and being overall winners.

What is frustrating is that there were teams who were planning for the last hour - hour and a half of racing and pitted, then going to red flag they gave up position and as such missed out on double points for the season. It's racing, but still it seems like a loss for those who committed to racing until the end and dealing with the weather conditions.

Looking forward to Sebring now...
Old 01-28-2019, 02:08 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

I think they did the right thing by red flagging, but what do I know??

I do know that in DPi, there was some great racing until the rain moved in so that bodes well for the rest of the season's races which are all shorter.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:13 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by John Belk
Racing is inherently dangerous, but with proper safety precautions, most risks can be mitigated. I’ve followed IMSA for nearly 45 years and have attended the Rolex in various weather conditions. I have respect for IMSA officials, but what I saw yesterday was shocking! Not only was there millions of dollars in damage to cars, but driver’s safety were at risk. In my 45 years, I can say without question those were the worst weather related conditions I’ve ever seen at a Racing event.
I believe the IMSA officials were careless and placed the need to satisfy the commercial side of their business over the safety of the drivers. Why in the world would IMSA allow cars capable of 190 MPH race in those conditions? Visibility couldn’t have been more than 10’ to 20’ at some locations. No one can say otherwise with any level of believable affirmation.
IMSA you are much better than this. As an open request, please learn from this event and not repeat what occurred.
Rant over, looking forward to Sebring.
JB
they did the same thing at COTA several years ago resulting in many cars damaged
Old 01-28-2019, 02:14 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Alonso is so good that he won a 24hr race in 23H & 50min..

That said, I agree with OP... The conditions seemed to be treacherous which would only result in carnage, or worse.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was there since Thursday. I did hear something discussed about the weather.

Since the speedway has done so many upgrades, drainage has suffered. People point to 1983, but the water just doesn't go seep away the way it did decades ago. More of the infield is paved and a lot of natural ground cover that was once there is no more. I know where I parked, water was almost standing in places, and there was a good deal of mud in one section. That was as early as Thursday afternoon.

I don't think IMSA did anything with the aim of favoring any team.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Exactly my thought, there was a clear intention with the time on the clock to delay the decision of going back to green so that WTR clinched the overall - best case scenario from IMSA's perspective.

NBC sure didn't have an issue keeping the camera on the WTR tent the entire red flag period before calling the race so they could capture the response to calling it and being overall winners.

What is frustrating is that there were teams who were planning for the last hour - hour and a half of racing and pitted, then going to red flag they gave up position and as such missed out on double points for the season. It's racing, but still it seems like a loss for those who committed to racing until the end and dealing with the weather conditions.

Looking forward to Sebring now...
There was one team I heard on the IMSA radio describing how the officials told them something would happen about going to green then abruptly red flagged the thing. That misinformation changed their strategy and they lost a few places while pitting. I forget who it was but they were pissed.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Didn't realize this thread was happening. Had posted this with pics on the other one but yea... it was carnage in the pits also.

Name:  photo214.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  788.2 KBName:  photo12.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  836.1 KBName:  photo888.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  1.20 MBName:  photo486.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  268.6 KBName:  photo621.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  2.25 MBName:  photo207.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  323.6 KB
Old 01-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver
Daytona 2019 was an amalgam of messy weather and messier political considerations from BoP shenanigans to Alonzo/Zanardi/Lamm feeding the rumor mill. The pre-weather first half was racing.
BMW didn't necessarily get a generous BOP.

In terms of pure (dry) race pace in GTLM it was probably:

Porsche/Corvette/Ferrari
Ford (a very small step below)
BMW (another very small step below)
Old 01-28-2019, 03:52 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

They should have called the race earlier. Someone could have gotten hurt..bad.

Quick Reply: IMSA RANT “ROLEX”