Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an exhaust valve line that won't stay on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts
Default I have an exhaust valve line that won't stay on.

It seems the hard line is not quite long enough, or properly fitted? I can only get the rubber hose halfway on because of how the two sections line up, the rubber having to dip down to meet the valve stalk. Passenger side looks to have a better fit/length of the metal line. After a brief drive it's always disconnected. It won't do any harm to have only one valve connected, correct? I will deal with it when I change the oil at 1000 miles I guess. Or should I just try to bend the metal line some?

Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Ideally that line should be crimped with a new clamp after it is installed. I'm not sure about the ramifications of running with just one connected. For me I'd want both on or off.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
It seems the hard line is not quite long enough, or properly fitted? I can only get the rubber hose halfway on because of how the two sections line up, the rubber having to dip down to meet the valve stalk. Passenger side looks to have a better fit/length of the metal line. After a brief drive it's always disconnected. It won't do any harm to have only one valve connected, correct? I will deal with it when I change the oil at 1000 miles I guess. Or should I just try to bend the metal line some?

You can fold down the black pipe after the curve
and push it left or right accordingly

Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Sorry, not to bore everyone. I saw a thread about the driver side line coming off on other cars, I since can't locate the thread. Orthojoe is running a longer looped line. I want to do this. I feel like the dealer is just going to throw another clip on and it's going to come off again. It seems like the rubber line is simply too short and gets pulled off with movement, as stated in that thread. I was dumb enough to play with the hard line while gripping it with pliers before I realized the problem, i feel like i've loosened that hard connection and I managed to mark it up. My long winded question is, does anyone know what gauge that rubber section is? Is that 5/32 vacuum line? I'm not with the car and wanted to purchase some. Sorry for the low rent thread and posts. I'll bring some better content one of these days.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:46 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, not to bore everyone. I saw a thread about the driver side line coming off on other cars, I since can't locate the thread. Orthojoe is running a longer looped line. I want to do this. I feel like the dealer is just going to throw another clip on and it's going to come off again. It seems like the rubber line is simply too short and gets pulled off with movement, as stated in that thread. I was dumb enough to play with the hard line while gripping it with pliers before I realized the problem, i feel like i've loosened that hard connection and I managed to mark it up. My long winded question is, does anyone know what gauge that rubber section is? Is that 5/32 vacuum line? I'm not with the car and wanted to purchase some. Sorry for the low rent thread and posts. I'll bring some better content one of these days.
When I had valves my driver side kept popping off. Put a black ziptie on it and it never came off again. Really a quite easy fix, don't overthink it.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

When I dropped my car off to get the JCR exhaust installed it sounded different on the way to the shop. I was told the drivers side exhaust valve line was off so it seems this happens more than it should. Granted now I don’t need it.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

That's why mine are disconnected and plugged- never have to worry about it

But one of those small black zip ties that were mentioned should do the trick
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

When we installed my side bypass pipes and Akrapovic headers in the .2, I noticed that the driver's side vacuum was stressed. I found the root cause and it is an easy fix.

Just remove the engine lid fans and cover, reach down to the main vacuum line, it is on the driver's side and gets to T where it distributes vacuum to two new lines (left going down, right going across a body frame beam to the passenger's side valve). Unclip this T, also unclip the line running to the passenger's side from the first clip on that frame (there 4 or 5 of them supporting that vacuum line). At this point, you relocate the T down 2" and secure with zip tie. Done.

I haven't figure out a way to post from cell phone pictures into RL, and getting cell phone pics to office's PC is a long and time consuming job. It would be so much easier to post from iPhone to RL.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Its a known Porsche issue. There is a new longer metal line available from Porsche. Dealer did mine under warranty. You can do any number of temporary fixes But they should include an additional length of hose as when the engine is under load it torques (twists) which pulls drivers side off.
You paid for the warranty, let them fix it.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 80 Posts

I never liked those crimped clamps. If you are going to r&r, go old school with stainless hose clamps that you can tighten with a screwdriver.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yup. Happened to many people who have a .2 GT3, myself included. There is something wrong with the design. The lines don't match up, so you can't get a good crimp. Zip tie definitely didn't work for me. It works fine for street use, but that line would always pop off on the track and then I'd get hit for sound violation at Laguna. I'm not surprised that Porsche has a fix for the problem with a longer line in order to get everything to line up evenly. I'd have the dealer fix it or use the long rubber line like I did if you can't stomach going to the dealer.
So far no issues with my RS. Porsche probably addressed the problem at this point with newer builds
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me at a track day. Shop at the track (G-speed) put on the same new Porsche clip and it popped off again during the next session. Owner of shop (Louis) asked if I wanted it fixed once and for all and he crawled under there and metal wire tied it back on. Been perfect ever since. Haha.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:17 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Does it throw a CEL when this pops off or just get loud?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

No, it does not appear to cause a check engine warning. You'd think it might, but I did not experience any faults.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Does it throw a CEL when this pops off or just get loud?
I believe it was mentioned the drone would be significant and you would know it

Quick Reply: I have an exhaust valve line that won't stay on.