Autodim mirror annoyance, how to cover “ring” of non-dim

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:24 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts
Default Autodim mirror annoyance, how to cover “ring” of non-dim

Those with autodim mirrors know that the autodimming portion of the mirror does not extend all the way to the edges of the mirrors. Why this is, I have no idea as going back 22 years worth of cars with autodim I have not had this stupid design on the outside mirrors. So when you are driving and someone comes up behind you get this mirror shape ring of light reflection which, although much better than not having autodim, is really bothersome to me.

I wish to cover the outer rim. Has anyone done such a thing? Perhaps wheel striping vinyl tape? At this point I plan to ghetto it with electrical tape which is how I tend to deal with all unwanted sources of light I can’t turn off.

By the way, I assume there is no way to shut off the display in the gauge cluster is there?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

What about a thin rim of dark tint?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:43 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Have the same thing on my Panamera side mirror. It is quite annoying.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 80p
That’s a good idea. Anyone done this before?
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 80p
As the mirrors are heated, I wonder if the heater coil will cause some issues with using a tint film over the glass?

Sorry for the partial threadjack, but are the dimming exterior mirrors retrofittable? Sadly my build locked within hours' notice due to PTS and CXX, and this was the only item I wish I had included. Don't mind the rearview mirror in the cabin as I can flip it, but the exterior mirrors are quite annoying especially since so often ppl drive with high beams on. Was thinking of buying the European spec (aspheric) mirrors with wondering if I can retrofit the dimming feature.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:06 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Another annoyance, they are not heated (at least to my knowledge and I do not see a button). Baffling given my 95 993 and my “utility package” aka negative options, Toyota pick up have heated mirrors. I understand that there is a wiring harness difference so I understand they are not retrofitable but I never personally checked.

To be clear, autodim is worth it at $700 or whatever it was for the reason you identify (bright headlights behind you) but the execution is not the best. So I would retrofit if possible.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:30 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
...To be clear, autodim is worth it at $700 or whatever it was for the reason you identify (bright headlights behind you) but the execution is not the best. So I would retrofit if possible.
Respectfully disagree. My personal feeling is that the autodim action is too slow and never gets as dark as the manual mirror. In addition I now see these posts above saying the AutoDim has a halo of undimmed on the edge which is stupid - its gonna obviously reflect more and be a pain.
How is this even user friendly? SMH
Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Respectfully disagree. My personal feeling is that the autodim action is too slow and never gets as dark as the manual mirror. In addition I now see these posts above saying the AutoDim has a halo of undimmed on the edge which is stupid - its gonna obviously reflect more and be a pain.
How is this even user friendly? SMH
Its the side mirrors that make it worth it. Maybe it’s just me, but every sports car I have it’s horrible being blinded from the side mirrors.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Its the side mirrors that make it worth it. Maybe it’s just me, but every sports car I have it’s horrible being blinded from the side mirrors.
That is true, those are painful, the only seeming remedy is turning them slightly away which compromises vision and safety
Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 PM
eecsdude
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

my Tint guy told me it's too thin of an area to put window tint on even if you were able to cut out the perfect shape. He suggested buying some black pin striping and taping up the edge.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eecsdude
my Tint guy told me it's too thin of an area to put window tint on even if you were able to cut out the perfect shape. He suggested buying some black pin striping and taping up the edge.
That was my initial plan. I need to find some to try it.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:40 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

That was my initial plan. I need to find some to try it.
I don't know if the ROW mirrors would suffer from this same phenomenon (any Euro folks that can chime in?), but if not perhaps worth considering the ROW Aspheric mirrors SunCoast sells. Pricey for folks with autodimming feature, but in your case may be worthwhile if indeed they don't have the annoying 'halo'.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:02 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

The picture on suncoast’s website shows the ring. I’d love for that to be not true, but I believe they all have the ring.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

It’s a Porsche thing. Same on my 958 cayenne. It is annoying. Bmw auto dim works well. Full glass dims. I usually leave it off.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Another annoyance, they are not heated (at least to my knowledge and I do not see a button). Baffling given my 95 993 and my “utility package” aka negative options, Toyota pick up have heated mirrors. I understand that there is a wiring harness difference so I understand they are not retrofitable but I never personally checked.

To be clear, autodim is worth it at $700 or whatever it was for the reason you identify (bright headlights behind you) but the execution is not the best. So I would retrofit if possible.
They should be connected to the rear window heating. Check your manual.

Quick Reply: Autodim mirror annoyance, how to cover “ring” of non-dim