Quick insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
you can’t insure a car you don’t own.
Actually, I don't think this is quite true. As long as you have the VIN, you can insure it.

When I had my "loaner" car (a 2014 911 C2) back in 2014 when the 2104 GT3s were sitting at the port for 6 months, waiting for new engines, I ended up putting my loaner on my personal insurance policy (with AMICA). The dealership said that they officially insured loaners for 30 days but, "it should be OK" for this special case. I'm too paranoid about insurance companies to trust that, so they said I could just exchange my loaner every month. Since I had the only sports car in the loaner fleet (they were mostly Cayennes, Macans, and Panameras), I didn't want to do that. So, I just added the loaner car to my regular policy. It was way cheaper, to me, than worrying about it...
Old 01-28-2019, 11:34 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by scb997
Actually, I don't think this is quite true. As long as you have the VIN, you can insure it.
A dealership once swapped two digits in my VIN when submitting title paperwork. I never noticed. They titled that VIN, I insured that VIN, and I took home and drove a car with a different VIN for over a year. Someone else leased and drove around in the car I was insuring with the title in my name that whole time. They were the same model and MSRP - the only difference was the color and wheels.

Quick Reply: Quick insurance question