Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO car of the year 2018 video

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

mclaren brakes work well but have terrible (hard/wooden) feel... to me the big problem with this is that other control weights of the car are lighter/more supple, so you are gently handling the car otherwise in throttle and steering then you need to mash the brake to get any kind of serious deceleration

porsche brake feel (and of course performance) are terrific and feel is quite proportional, esp on the modern gt cars

as for the evo video - to me, compared to prior years, it is such a sloppy one, seems to be done on a shoe-string budget, with haphazard editing poor quality control (like they didn't even mention #6 the bimmer in the results)

there has been an ownership change and writer/staff turnover i believe and it shows in the quality of the work
Old 01-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Does it really rain this often in the U.K.? It seems like 75% of the car videos i watch from the U.K. show the wipers going. The place is like Oregon.
Feels like it right now! Goodwood in the rain today; not worth it but best temps I'll see for a while. But there was a 600lt there. I've been thinking about picking one up after my RS goes to the states. After first session the LT wouldn't start I'm sure it could happen to any new car and it didn't scare me away but dang, living up the the Mac stereotype. Flames were super cool! Made up for the no-start, kinda sorta?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Exhaust note wasn't bad for FI but being in a run with a 3rs and a Speciale wasn't very fair for the sound contest.

Gotta like seeing a 991.2 3rs, 600lt and a Speciale at Goodwood, in same group, in the rain.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib

as for the evo video - to me, compared to prior years, it is such a sloppy one, seems to be done on a shoe-string budget, with haphazard editing poor quality control (like they didn't even mention #6 the bimmer in the results)

there has been an ownership change and writer/staff turnover i believe and it shows in the quality of the work
I agree and couldn't have said it better myself!
I used to look forward to this video every year. The best one they've made was in 2016 when the GT4 won! They had great roads,spectacular views and camera shots!
This one was slapped together,not to mention it came out so late! We knew these results months ago!
Old 01-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

This was a terrible EVO video. Also, why was the standard GT3 not considered in the test? The mix of on-road and track performance is pretty much unmatched. Also, isn't a standard 488 better than most of the cars on the list (aside from the GT2RS and 600LT)? If so, doesn't that mean that the Pista should just generally be rated higher?
Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering that EVO just published that the gt3rs won amongst all their gt cars, you could argue why didn't they have the 3rs in there, but the standard comparo seems to use the big daddy- 2rs.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:21 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

I don’t understand their ranking system of comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Pista. But what was surprising was how Harsh they were on the Pista. Was not expecting that. Seemed contrived.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I agree and couldn't have said it better myself!
I used to look forward to this video every year. The best one they've made was in 2016 when the GT4 won! They had great roads,spectacular views and camera shots!
This one was slapped together,not to mention it came out so late! We knew these results months ago!
+1!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:35 PM
manolis
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Have you ever driven a 458 speciale or a 675LT or a 600LT or a 488 ?
Yes all but 675lt. 458, 488 sounds better with much better brake feel. 600 has bit better brake feel improvemnet than 570 which is awful, but still lots of lag in 3rd so need to exit corner still in second at full revs then shift into 3rd only then or it dies with lag. Sounds like a truck. Evo must like that I guess.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Have you ever driven a 458 speciale or a 675LT or a 600LT or a 488 ?
I'm game when you set up the opportunity.

Going here next week ... http://porscheexperience.ca/en/iceexperience/
Old 01-26-2019, 08:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This year’s edition does not match up to previous years, particularly 2013. The lineup was better. The footage was better. And the winner segment was better.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 PM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I don’t understand their ranking system of comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Pista. But what was surprising was how Harsh they were on the Pista. Was not expecting that. Seemed contrived.

Yes contrived is the correct description for EVO's review. Makes no sense to pitch cheap cars up against expensive ones unless it's just to appeal to their wider audience who have only Fiesta money. I think this review has seriously damaged their credibility with Ferrari and Porsche and I think they will be thinking twice before giving EVO another car.
600lt is a great effort from Maclaren vs the 570 but it is still a work in progress when compared to the finely honed precision of GT2rs and It just doesn't share anywhere near the same level of braking predictability or have the beautiful power deliver of the Gt2 rs or 488 and no doubt Pista. Then there is the sound....now that one is a big problem esp when being compared with the other two.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by manolis
Yes contrived is the correct description for EVO's review. Makes no sense to pitch cheap cars up against expensive ones unless it's just to appeal to their wider audience who have only Fiesta money. I think this review has seriously damaged their credibility with Ferrari and Porsche and I think they will be thinking twice before giving EVO another car.
600lt is a great effort from Maclaren vs the 570 but it is still a work in progress when compared to the finely honed precision of GT2rs and It just doesn't share anywhere near the same level of braking predictability or have the beautiful power deliver of the Gt2 rs or 488 and no doubt Pista. Then there is the sound....now that one is a big problem esp when being compared with the other two.
with regards to the power of the 600, it’s faster than a 488. My buddy just bought a 600, I own a 488. It wasn’t close. But as you and I know, it’s not all about power but the total package.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched it because it was a CotY video, it felt rushed and their opinions a bit ... against convention. Meanwhile Carfection with Catchpole and Co. are killing it, seriously quality Youtube, good enough to go up against the best of Top Gear etc.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:08 PM
manolis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

with regards to the power of the 600, it’s faster than a 488. My buddy just bought a 600, I own a 488. It wasn’t close. But as you and I know, it’s not all about power but the total package.

Yes it may be faster, but doesn't feel it from behind the wheel. I found the 600lt power delivery to be all or nothing like switching a light switch on and off where gt2 and 488 are beautiful and linear with torque when and where needed, and for that reason alone makes them so much more pleasurable to drive and place mid corner (for me anyway). For example you can come into a corner fast in 3rd in 488 or GT2 and just blast/power out - no need to come in holding second keeping the engine screaming its head off just to keep it from lagging badly when you reach for third on exit. I think they mention how the 600 is great when you get it going but the car is not going to be driving on circuit most of the time and even then the revs must be kept right up there between 2nd and 3rd gear change to keep out of lag zone. From redline second into third 600 really pulls hard to the red in third. It's a good car the 600lt, just not as accomplished as Gt2 or 488. The engine is a big thing for me so are the brake feel and predictability and it really isn't as good as the other two there. But it's still a great car with great turn in.....looks tough etc 600s seats are the worst out of the 3.....overly tight on the base....maybe Senna ones are better choice?

Last edited by manolis; 01-26-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO car of the year 2018 video