Old 01-26-2019, 01:42 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
NO drone?
A/S has just posted a pretty detailed bit of feedback in the main JCR product release thread after installing. Probably a great guy to chat to for some customer feedback

JC
Old 01-26-2019, 02:13 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche

We offer a Race Pipe with no silencing. This ‘silenced’ version features silencers which cut the overalls dB levels from our ‘non silenced’ Race Pipe by an average of 8/9dB throughout the RPM range

In regards to cracking I think it’s once again important to state and reassure that we have had NO such issues with any of our exhausts and I do not anticipate we ever will. I’m unsure as to why this concern keeps being raised?

Silencers aren’t really tiny, they’re sized accordingly. The internals flow accordingly and there is no temperature spike in the silencer.

As you can see from the image below with the car on the hub dyno the silencers do not get anywhere near as hot as the main exhaust, as you would expect.

JC
You mentioned 8-9 db for this new silenced race pipe and I would assume another 4-5db with the silenced tips. What is the baseline level we can deduct those levels from? Or what is the sound level with the above setup and the silenced tips?

thanks
Old 01-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

The install is completed, but due to the weather where I am I have only started it up and revved it a bit in the shop. So far it sounds more race like than any exhaust I've personally heard and will give a more complete review once I have driven it a bit. From my calculations, it saves approximately 38 lbs off the rear on a 991.2 RS when retaining the stock tips and leaving the rear exhaust bracket in place.

The scale I used was only accurate to 0.5 lbs and I got 22.5 lbs for each side exhausts and 10.5 lbs for the rear exhaust with tips. I forgot to remove the exhaust tips before weighing the rear muffler so assuming the exhaust tips weigh 2 lbs, the total weight without tips is approx. 53.5 lbs. I didn't weigh the JCR system as Jonny documented that pretty accurately in an earlier post at 15.0 lbs. I am assuming the added mounting hardware is about 0.5 lbs. So roughly: 53.5 lbs - 15.5 lbs = 38 lbs.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jon70
The install is completed, but due to the weather where I am I have only started it up and revved it a bit in the shop. So far it sounds more race like than any exhaust I've personally heard and will give a more complete review once I have driven it a bit. From my calculations, it saves approximately 38 lbs off the rear on a 991.2 RS when retaining the stock tips and leaving the rear exhaust bracket in place.

The scale I used was only accurate to 0.5 lbs and I got 22.5 lbs for each side exhausts and 10.5 lbs for the rear exhaust with tips. I forgot to remove the exhaust tips before weighing the rear muffler so assuming the exhaust tips weigh 2 lbs, the total weight without tips is approx. 53.5 lbs. I didn't weigh the JCR system as Jonny documented that pretty accurately in an earlier post at 15.0 lbs. I am assuming the added mounting hardware is about 0.5 lbs. So roughly: 53.5 lbs - 15.5 lbs = 38 lbs.
Excited to hear your full review once the weather picks up and you have an opportunity to drive!

JC
Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
You mentioned 8-9 db for this new silenced race pipe and I would assume another 4-5db with the silenced tips. What is the baseline level we can deduct those levels from? Or what is the sound level with the above setup and the silenced tips?
As an audio geek, I thought I would chime in with a fact that some may not have come across before:

A 10dB reduction in sound level corresponds to a sound that is subjectively half as loud. So, whether coming down from 120dB to 110dB or from 70dB to 60dB, in both cases a person would experience the perceived loudness being cut in half...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GrantG
As an audio geek, I thought I would chime in with a fact that some may not have come across before:

A 10dB reduction in sound level corresponds to a sound that is subjectively half as loud. So, whether coming down from 120dB to 110dB or from 70dB to 60dB, in both cases a person would experience the perceived loudness being cut in half...
Good info, as you mention dB is on an exponential scale but the way in which your ears process the sound energy is as above. It’s a significant drop in audible ‘loudness’ between our Titanium Race Pipe and Titanium Silenced Race Pipe

JC
Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70

really looking forward to hearing more impressions. thanks for sharing
Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
In regards to cracking I think it’s once again important to state and reassure that we have had NO such issues with any of our exhausts and I do not anticipate we ever will. I’m unsure as to why this concern keeps being raised?
JC, I can’t speak for others but I surmise the trepidation with cracking is not directed towards your products specifically but titanium itself. I personally have had cracking issues with other titanium exhausts; did not stop me from running your titanium race pipe though.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:41 AM
box986
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Awaiting dyno results from JCR on these
Old 01-30-2019, 02:50 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ilovecarbs
JC, I can’t speak for others but I surmise the trepidation with cracking is not directed towards your products specifically but titanium itself. I personally have had cracking issues with other titanium exhausts; did not stop me from running your titanium race pipe though.
I think you're 100% right here. The important part is what grade of titanium is being used in which areas of the exhaust. The Titanium we use for our systems has an oxidation point between 700-800c which is more than suitable for this application.

With our Race Manifolds we choose to use Inconel as Titanium would not be suitable but we're able to select a grade of Inconel which is capable of handling the heat whilst keeping the weight down to an equivalent of a Titanium version.

Its all about using the right materials in the correct places

Originally Posted by box986
Awaiting dyno results from JCR on these
Coming in Part2 of our dyno test. Hope to share that new post next week in between another 4 new product releases

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Has anyone else installed these and care to share their thoughts? Looking forward to the part 2 post.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I finally had a chance to drive the car with the exhaust. So far I have put in about 50 miles. I had the owner of the shop where the install was performed both as a passenger and driver for another assessment as he has driven cars with far more variety and exhausts as I have to compare.

Performance: I can't tell any difference, either loss or gain. I will defer to any dyno on this.

Drone: Minimal. I'd say there are some instances at 2-3K, but less than I anticipated. Once, you are past 3K, it is virtually if not completely eliminated. I realize the perception of drone is subjective, although I think I'm pretty sensitive to this.

Volume: Again, I know this is subjective. It is definitely loud, but not unbearable by any means. For comparison to a BBi rear exhaust I had on my 2016 RS, this exhaust is a few steps up. I've heard the JCR exhaust from both the inside and outside and compared to an AWE switchpath (loudest exhaust I've ever heard) the JCR is definitely a bit quieter. I was able to have a normal conversation in the car as long as it was below 4K rpm. JC says it may get a bit quieter with some carbon build up in the silencers. Personally, I am happy have the silenced version over the non silenced version,

Sound quality: I think this is the best quality of this exhaust. It sounds like no other I've heard before. I think it is a bit higher pitched and the most "race sounding" of the ones I've heard which includes many of the rear bypasses and the Akrapovic race system. I asked the installer what he thought. Prior to hearing the JCR, he said Akrapovic but I think he has now changed his mind.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Absolutely loving my JCR race pipes
Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Looks great

Not to get off topic but what air filters are they using in the .2 GT3s??
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Jon for the initial review.
JC created a volume scale for the different systems. He said OEM system valves open a 3. Silenced race pipe 7. Do you agree?
So cruising on the freeway at legal speeds, drone should be minimal or non-existent?

Jimmy not sure the brand but they are paper. I have some BMC's that should be here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: JCR silenced racepipe