Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are '14-'15 gt3s the best value right now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, I drives me nuts when folks look at the MMR with the idea that the prices posted are what they should pay. THEY ARE NOT.
A couple of things:
1. There is a reason that the car ended up at auction.
2. The dealer has fees associated with belonging and attending auction.
3. The dealer has fees associated with transporting the car from auction to the lot.
4. The dealer has fees associated with prepping/detailing the car.
5. The dealer has fees associated with advertising the car, etc.
6. The dealer does this as a business and needs to rightfully make a profit.

All this needs to be taken into consideration with these "value threads."
Old 01-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Many folks here are aware that MMR is not what a consumer would pay..... but rather another tool to gauge where the wholesale prices are at.

No one ever stated, at least not me, that Manheim sold prices are what the consumer should pay.... most of us are aware that, for example, a $115k GT3 that sold thru a dealer wholesale auction will end up with a much higher retail price at a dealer's lot (e.g. possibly listed for $130k+).
Old 01-25-2019, 04:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I would wait until:

- the recession thats about to hit
- 992 gt3 comes out

all gt3s will take a big hit including 997s. Hardest hit ones will be 991.1 Gt3/rs then 991.2 gt3rs and then 991.2 gt3 manual.

Porsche has made too many of these cars.
Respectfully, I wouldn't wait.. life's too short. Only wait if you cant afford it. All cars that get driven go down. If recession hits, then all portfolio's go down. So unless you dont want to enjoy a car now or are 100% in cash waiting for a recession, this doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:43 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by unkleradio
looking to get a gt3. seems like '15 gt3 is the way to go. am i wrong in thinking this?

they're available for as cheap as 110k and have an engine warranty until 2025.

anything else i should know?
This thread has degraded into yet another value thread...awesome! (sarcasm intended)
To get back to the OP's original questions:
Answers to your 2 questions:
1. If you like PDK, yes, if you don't then get a 997 GT3 or a .2
2. Know that price is highly dependent on options, options, and options. Cheap isn't always better. If you are chasing price, this likely won't be an ownership experience you will enjoy.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 PM
unkleradio
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably going to go with a black '15 gt3. there's a few for sale for around 120k. was hoping to pay closer to 100k. anyone know how flexible these dealers are on GT3 prices?
Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

probably going to go with a black '15 gt3. there's a few for sale for around 120k. was hoping to pay closer to 100k. anyone know how flexible these dealers are on GT3 prices?
Find the right car. Then make an offer and see what happens. Be prepared to walk and wait for your phone to ring when they call back with a better offer. Not saying you get anywhere close to $100k but you might get $115k. It doesn’t hurt to try. It is still a ton of car for $115k. Also get CPO and have a PPI inspection.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:00 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodsky
Respectfully, I wouldn't wait.. life's too short. Only wait if you cant afford it. All cars that get driven go down. If recession hits, then all portfolio's go down. So unless you dont want to enjoy a car now or are 100% in cash waiting for a recession, this doesn't make sense to me.
I cant afford the 991.2 gt3/rs due to ADMs. I can afford 991.1 GT3 but dont want the old engine.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:06 AM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly think so. Picked up a CPO '15 GT3 a week ago, and planning to keep for the long term.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

We're in direct competition my friend

I'm not in love with any on the market right now, but there are two that have been sitting around long enough that if they're still available in 30 days or so then I may put some offers in. Targeting 118-123k with the upper end as CPO. There's currently a CPO'd one for 125k and that advertised price range is typically where I've seen them drop off.

Ideally, I want to exercise some patience and see if one comes in at an NC-based dealer so I can begin to start a relationship with a dealership and begin a life as an RL whale. But who knows how long that will take. I let a local one out of Durham slip around the holidays, last advertised price was $126k, CPO when it disappeared.

Back to the original value topic: Everybody is going to see value from their own lens, to me that $120-125k range is a steal for what you're getting. Buying into the motor that potentially eats itself is a calculated gamble. But I have confidence that come 2023/2024 you'll see Dundon or somebody of the like release a solution that makes it all a mere afterthought. I know people like to treat them as if they will be worth their melt value in 6 years, but I have a hard time buying into that doom and gloom given what the automotive landscape should look like by then.

I'd love to step into a 991.2 now that they're starting to show in that 150's range, but that $25-30k gap is my wife's bathroom and bedroom remodel. If anybody wants to sell her on how a revised motor, 25hp and carplay stands in the way of her dream closet then be my guest
Old 01-26-2019, 10:27 AM
robmypro
Race Director

It is a hell of a lot of car for $120k. By the time the engine warranty runs out in 2024 or 2025 the vast majority of bad engines will have been replaced. No excuse not to drive these cars as often as possible.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:43 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
I'd love to step into a 991.2 now that they're starting to show in that 150's range, but that $25-30k gap is my wife's bathroom and bedroom remodel. If anybody wants to sell her on how a revised motor, 25hp and carplay stands in the way of her dream closet then be my guest
Best to do your bathroom right now if construction prices are going up there like they are around here. Just finished tile/stonework on a house in Los Altos Hills (silicon Valley) where the custom closets were $46K.

I bought a GTS in 17 from Leith out your way sight unseen and had a great experience with them from start to finish. I felt like I got a decent price from them at the time as well.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:02 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
It is a hell of a lot of car for $120k. By the time the engine warranty runs out in 2024 or 2025 the vast majority of bad engines will have been replaced. No excuse not to drive these cars as often as possible.
I'm doing 2 days at Laguna next month (weather cooperating) and I'm going to flog that bitch The whole 9K experience is just awesome. I was cruising down hwy 1 weds and a guy pulled up along side me, rolled down his window, cupped his hand to his ear and pointed forward. Of course I had to oblige. Got the big thumbs up when he caught up to me. I may get a .2 down the road when the prices come down but for now this thing checks most of the boxes and I'm sure after I track it I'll check off the rest. My only complaint is I can't see the CHP sneaking up to me in the rear view because of the wing hgt.

After reading the technical bulletin on replacing the motor I have a question: if one is really concerned and getting near the end of the warranty period couldn't you just pay a dealer to drop the motor and inspect the followers for obvious wear?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by RDCR
I'm doing 2 days at Laguna next month (weather cooperating) and I'm going to flog that bitch The whole 9K experience is just awesome. I was cruising down hwy 1 weds and a guy pulled up along side me, rolled down his window, cupped his hand to his ear and pointed forward. Of course I had to oblige. Got the big thumbs up when he caught up to me. I may get a .2 down the road when the prices come down but for now this thing checks most of the boxes and I'm sure after I track it I'll check off the rest. My only complaint is I can't see the CHP sneaking up to me in the rear view because of the wing hgt.

After reading the technical bulletin on replacing the motor I have a question: if one is really concerned and getting near the end of the warranty period couldn't you just pay a dealer to drop the motor and inspect the followers for obvious wear?
Laguna is awesome. Have fun! Yeah, you could pay to have them check. That is probably what i will do...in 6 years.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:14 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

I've been deep in the search for a .1 GT3 for several months now. Today I've finally caved and put a deposit down on the perfect 2015 although I was hoping to spend in the 115-125k range, I'll end up spending a bit more so maybe it's not as great of a value as it could be but it's optioned perfectly and there isn't any stories in the event I ever sell the thing. I can see the .1 reaching 997.1 prices someday, but for now it's the best ~120k car for sale. The 10 year engine warranty make it "safe" choice too.

I'm sure we've all been seeing '18s dipping into the 150s or even high 140s. Tempting, but my thinking is that a perfect .1 and a 10-30k savings (that's a lot of track time) will be a better ownership experience long term than a not so favorable color and not so favorably optioned .2.

So excited to fly out to meet it for the first time on Saturday. Wish I could drive it all the way home but it's not a pretty drive from the northeast back to Texas this time of year.

Robmypro - your thread has been a great motivator as well I might add

Viva La .1!
Old 01-29-2019, 12:29 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

.1 GT3's @ $70K?? LOL ..

Must say, they are a timeless design. Many ways like them better than .2

Quick Reply: are '14-'15 gt3s the best value right now?