Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the must check in pre-purchase 991.1 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What are the must check in pre-purchase 991.1 RS?

Hi all. Now that the 991.1 RS has been out for awhile, can you enlighten me on the must checks in pre-purchase inspection. I have a lot of experience in the pre 991.1 RS generation, but not as much in the new PDK era RS's.
Would love any advice you can give. Going to look at one this weekend.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

1) Look for wear on the wires and cables inside the rear wheel well, if signs of wear, have those parts replaced.

2) Look for wear on the front and rear fender well covers, I had holes from tires rubbing on them (the stock tires).

3) Look for cracks on the center muffler, the RS Ti muffler is more prone to cracking than the Steel center in the GT3, but both crack with track use.

4) Because it is an automatic, I don't know why people insist on a OverRev report from the ECU, this is a situation that can happen in 3-pedal cars (money shifts and the likes), but PDK cannot over rev the engine. Read the forum for the different types, because getting to the Rev limiter (and all these automatic GT cars do) get registered as a type of over rev.

5) These cars eat spark plugs, so unless you have a recent bill with a fresh set of plugs, have them replaced on purchase, it is cheap and keeps the car healthy.

6) The rear deck lid rubs with the tail lights, due to the downforce this car produces, check for damage on the upper part of the tail lights and the bottom paint of the deck lid.

7) Inside the battery tray compartment, check that you have the air pump and the center lock socket.

8) Replace the air filters, the rear bumper needs to come off to change them. Clean the ducts, as you'll see a lot of debris there depending on mileage.

I just added stuff that is not normally included in a PPI.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 81 Posts

check that the car comes with a CPO warranty...........check.............purchase and enjoy
Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 AM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can over rev, example if you hit a bump and become momentarily airborne.

Check you have the correct Gt3/RS drivers manual and service book. A friend had his car supplied with the standard Carrera ones.

Otherwise enjoy !
Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys these are all very smart items to check. I was wondering how important an over rev report would be. I already verified matching #’s on motor/tranny. Is the tow hook in the battery compartment too?

11 RS
98 993 Cup
71 911
17 AMG GLA 45
Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

tow hook and other tools are in the plastic tool containers on the side of the trunk, one on each side. The only tools missing are the CL socket and the air pump, they are next to the battery.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Over revs with a PDK are not a concern.....
Old 01-25-2019, 06:09 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

You certainly have a number of choices in this market,now the fun starts!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
1) Look for wear on the wires and cables inside the rear wheel well, if signs of wear, have those parts replaced.

2) Look for wear on the front and rear fender well covers, I had holes from tires rubbing on them (the stock tires).

3) Look for cracks on the center muffler, the RS Ti muffler is more prone to cracking than the Steel center in the GT3, but both crack with track use.

4) Because it is an automatic, I don't know why people insist on a OverRev report from the ECU, this is a situation that can happen in 3-pedal cars (money shifts and the likes), but PDK cannot over rev the engine. Read the forum for the different types, because getting to the Rev limiter (and all these automatic GT cars do) get registered as a type of over rev.

5) These cars eat spark plugs, so unless you have a recent bill with a fresh set of plugs, have them replaced on purchase, it is cheap and keeps the car healthy.

6) The rear deck lid rubs with the tail lights, due to the downforce this car produces, check for damage on the upper part of the tail lights and the bottom paint of the deck lid.

7) Inside the battery tray compartment, check that you have the air pump and the center lock socket.

8) Replace the air filters, the rear bumper needs to come off to change them. Clean the ducts, as you'll see a lot of debris there depending on mileage.

I just added stuff that is not normally included in a PPI.
Would any of this stuff be covered in the CPO warranty? Would all of it be covered?
Old 01-25-2019, 06:24 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

These have been pretty much bullet proof. If sub-10k miles and not tons of track time just get the CPO as AC said, check the maintenance records and go. If it has been tracked a lot just check the usual things like brake wear (esp if PCCB) and some things mentioned above. Builds starting in April or May of 16 came with rolled fenders and different set up to help avoid the rubbing issues.

Quick Reply: What are the must check in pre-purchase 991.1 RS?