Sponsored by:

Scraping undercarriage of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Scraping undercarriage of GT3

don't care about scraping the lip, but are there other parts of the car that gets damaged next to the lip when scraping? Not sure if thats of the front bumper extends under the lip? Referring to the new touring.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

The rear underbody fins of the rear lower diffuser.... same as in the 911R.

The 991.2 GT3 (winged) and GT3 Touring has these same ones standard.... and yes they will scrape, eventually.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Scraping is just a part of sports car ownership. If your diffuser or front lip scrapes, don't worry about it and keep driving
Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Bossing said, it really is only the rear diffuser fins that can more easily scrape during normal driving. It is pretty darn low if you look. When going over speed bumps, take caution on the downward "slope" as the car may dip hard and hit the fins. Sounds scary the first time.

If you're used to driving lower cars, the front lip isn't so bad. If you have the lift, it is even better. The rear is what you have to watch out for. The lift actually lowers the rear fins by a tiny amount too.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by shamoo
As Bossing said, it really is only the rear diffuser fins that can more easily scrape during normal driving. It is pretty darn low if you look. When going over speed bumps, take caution on the downward "slope" as the car may dip hard and hit the fins. Sounds scary the first time.

If you're used to driving lower cars, the front lip isn't so bad. If you have the lift, it is even better. The rear is what you have to watch out for. The lift actually lowers the rear fins by a tiny amount too.
Thank you both for this! so sounds like there's nothing like this on the front?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:25 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3
Thank you both for this! so sounds like there's nothing like this on the front?
There are no "fins" in the front if that's what you're asking. The front end is lower than your average car, but I wouldn't say it is ridiculously low (your average young kid in a slammed Honda is probably lower :P ). You do have to be careful, take sharper inclines at an angle, etc.

The front lip replacement (dealer cost) is only about $230ish so it isn't bad considering it is an OEM Porsche part.

Don't go full speed up/down a driveway and you'll be good.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by shamoo
There are no "fins" in the front if that's what you're asking. The front end is lower than your average car, but I wouldn't say it is ridiculously low (your average young kid in a slammed Honda is probably lower :P ). You do have to be careful, take sharper inclines at an angle, etc.

The front lip replacement (dealer cost) is only about $230ish so it isn't bad considering it is an OEM Porsche part.

Don't go full speed up/down a driveway and you'll be good.
Yes, the other day I scraped the front repeatedly on a dip in the road. I'm just hoping it was just the lip that was damaged
Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 252 Posts

It's not just the front lip. There are ducts that are in front of the front wheels that are actually lower than the front lip. Those get destroyed if you drive the car. They are attached to the front tray under the frunk area. At some point they will need to be replaced, but I figured why bother if they are going to be destroyed again. I know they scrap on the road and I have had them scrape on track with certain dips/turns.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
It's not just the front lip. There are ducts that are in front of the front wheels that are actually lower than the front lip. Those get destroyed if you drive the car. They are attached to the front tray under the frunk area. At some point they will need to be replaced, but I figured why bother if they are going to be destroyed again. I know they scrap on the road and I have had them scrape on track with certain dips/turns.
Bingo

Pretty sure I've scraped all 3. Front lip, the fins/ducts in front of the front wheels, and the rear diffuser in the back lol

First cut always the deepest
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Bingo

Pretty sure I've scraped all 3. Front lip, the fins/ducts in front of the front wheels, and the rear diffuser in the back lol

Regarding the ducts in front of each front wheel... I had a tech show me... you can do it when they’re new or after they get mangled.... Cut releifs on each side of the duct to allow some compression. Then drill holes and use zip ties to secure the flaps you just created with the cuts. Pretty slick I thought.

Cause, as MWAR99 stated above... if you DRIVE the car... they WILL get hammered!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:55 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 342 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Bingo

To paraphrase a scene from the Gumball Rally...”what is below you is of no importance”
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Cause, as MWAR99 stated above... if you DRIVE the car... they WILL get hammered!
Yes, hard not to:

Quick Reply: Scraping undercarriage of GT3