Sponsored by:

Wp does it really save 30kg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Yes, i do take lessons, yes i do listen to what manthey has to say, yes pccb has been mentioned here many times before, i have not read all threads but made a conclusion of rennlist that for serious tracking one should go steel.
Steel is the better option if you don't have the budget for ceramic replacements when needed depending on use.
Ceramics are superior as far as unsprung weight and fade.

Porsche steels are great and for the DE non pro all you will ever need in performance and cost is much much less for replacements.

Likely lap times differences between equal drivers and cars except for PCCB in one and steel in the other....negligible...but if your a pro every second or tenth of a second counts. If your a DE'r ...irrelevant.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Waxer, your new GT3 RS is beautiful! The colors you chose look so much better in a real picture than they do on the configurator. I assume that is Guards Red?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I have WP, and had my 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 RS side by side. Also have had a few other 991.1 GT3 RS and my 991.2 GT3 RS side by side.

- Hood or Frunk: Porsche doesn't mention this. The WP hood is lighter than my .1 Carbon hood, the construction on both is very different, the WP hood is paper thin, the .1 hood is thick. The best way to experience the weight difference is by holding it on one hand when it is about to get closed. No idea on the weight difference number.

- Doors: the .2 doors are lighter a lot lighter, no idea what the weight difference is. I'm calibrated to my .1 doors and opening the .2 doors it was an immediate difference, similar to when I switched from my 996 GT3 to my 997 GT3 RS. Both my .1 and .2 are standard interior (no full leather) and standard stereo.

My .2 is the lightest specification I could get for my preferences:

- Bucket Seats
- Standard Interior
- PCCB
- WP

Yet, it has 56 lbs of Go-Slow options, because I wanted them: better night vision, a radio, A/C, and something to help trailer load called FAL.

I have radio, because I need to listen to radio or streamed music. This adds 17 lbs.

I have A/C because it is hot here all year long. A cold interior produces better lap times. This adds 26 lbs.

I have PDLS. I run some track days at night, I use my high beams on those days. The standard lights high beam is halogen, the PLDS LEDs, big difference, it is more safety than convenience. This adds 4 lbs.

I have FAL, it makes loading on the trailer much easier and less painful. This adds 9 lbs in the 991.1, supposedly the 991.2 GT3 RS FAL is lighter than the old system, but I don't have the weight on the FAL .2 version.

So, a total of 56 lbs (or less because of FAL) added to my .2 GT3 RS on Go-Slow parts.

Resale value WP? No way, all options in the RS don't return any money. WP, lucky if I get 20% on resale, PCCB is 0% resale. Full Leather 0% resale. FAL 0%, GT Silver 0%. For good resale, buy a GT3RS in White and don't get any non-free options.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Obturate
Waxer, your new GT3 RS is beautiful! The colors you chose look so much better in a real picture than they do on the configurator. I assume that is Guards Red?
Thanks for the compliment! While colors and spec are all subjective which is why there is a configuratir that lets you build from a huge variety of configurations I chose GR in non WP since (1) I thought the GR was stunning and perfect with the amount of black accents w/o WP and (2) because I thought the GR w/o WP looked fantastic and the fact that the WP offered 0 in performance and we don’t even get the rollbar here in the States it was an easy decision for me.

If if I liked the WP w/GR better I would have bought it. That’s me. Not saying I don’t like WP. I do.

Another pic above at dealer😎
Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Obturate
Racer

Just stunning. Based on the configurator I might have chosen black or white. Having seen your pictures, it would be Guards red with the Aurum wheels just like yours.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Just stunning. Based on the configurator I might have chosen black or white. Having seen your pictures, it would be Guards red with the Aurum wheels just like yours.
😎thank you sir!!!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 PM
speed doc
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did someone Say Guards Red?? I obviously agree
Old 01-25-2019, 01:04 AM
Obturate
Racer

Beautiful also! Like Waxer said, it is all in the eye of the beholder. I think the Aurum wheels are a nice contrast but satin black looks nice also. Who really cares what I think but I have had a couple of glasses of wine and consequently chose to comment!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I do not know of anyone who wants ceramic brakes for the track, FWIW.
I do. I run the OEM PCCB and ST rotors. Love the performance and the STs are very cost effective.

Quick Reply: Wp does it really save 30kg?