Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions please (please be kind 🤞)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:01 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please (please be kind 🤞)

[This thread is about the 991.2 GT2RS / GT3RS, at least in part. Hence the choice of this forum.]

I have a 997 GT2, which I adore. I've always considered it a lifetime car. My DD is a Tesla (which I love); every time I get into the GT2 the juxtaposition between the two reminds me about how analog cars once were, and I love that feeling. I imagine it will only grow greater as cars automate further away from the driver, making the GT2 an incredible example of a bygone era for decades to come. That said, I have some friends who said the same of their 997.2 GT3RS that recently upgraded to 991s and seem to have no regrets at all (the car is that good, they say).

I also like to go to the track and am getting reluctant to take the GT2. For one, it's getting older and things break more frequently which gets expensive. Second, per the above, if I put it into a wall that's ... sad. This brings up a conundrum: if I want to keep tracking (I do) what should I do? Here are the options I've considered:

1) Suck it up and keep using the GT2, spend some money keeping it competitive with newest generation cars (e.g., minor/moderate tune).
2) Supplement the GT2 with a track car (could even be track dedicated/not street legal) and figure out how to stack them in my garage (e.g., a GT4 or maybe a GT4 Clubsport). Unfortunately, I am not sure my garage has the height which might kill this as an option. I am not leaving a car outside
3) Replace the GT2 by selling it and using funds to get something newer e.g., Performante, 600LT or GT3 RS.

For 2 and 3 I think the net spend I am willing to absorb is somewhere around $100k.

For 3, I obviously love Porsche, but I have a number of friends in 991.2 3RS' and GT2RS' (incredible group, they are) and so I have some motivation to do something different to bring some diversity to the track.

I looked at the Performante and just can't see myself in a Lamborghini. I am also super reluctant to rely on Lambo like I would Porsche if something breaks on the track. So, that sort of leads to the 600LT. I think McLaren is much more track friendly/supportive. My concern with the 600LT is principally around depreciation. Will it get slammed like most McLaren's have in the past (or is this just a 12C issue?) or will it behave more like the 675LT?

So that leaves me vacillating between 600LT, 991.2 3RS, and staying with GT2. Be different, be the same, or be nostalgic and risky. ��*♂️

I am looking for advice on how to make this decision. Can anyone offer thoughts?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm biased, but I'd trade toward a 991.2 3RS or a 991.2 GT3. these cars are an incredible experience (as your GT2 no doubt is as well), but it seems like you're ready for a change. and it would be a worthwhile change with a very different experience
Old 01-22-2019, 02:13 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

If you can figure out the space the best bet is a dedicated track car. I've been through all of this and ended up with a Radical. I was tracking a .1 RS and wanted a different solution for basically the exact same reasons as you. The risk of tracking a GT car heavily was too high for me. I considered a Clubsport and ended up with the Radical because of TCO. I've not regretted the decision at all. Also - the experience of tracking an actual race car is far better than a GT car too (IMHO). If you decide to go the dedicated race car path, I'm happy to chat with you about my experience.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure how tight a space you have, but these threads helped me a lot with the lift decision. i'd vote lift with race car (and with said car being not very high may work for you space wise).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-2-height.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...car-lifts.html
Old 01-22-2019, 03:39 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Keep the 997 GT2, it is a keeper. If you ever replace it, go for a 997 GT2 RS. There won't be any manual 2WD Turbo 911s anymore, there are very limited numbers produced of those two 997s, and they are the last ones.

Anything Performante, 600LT, Porsche GT will depreciate more than your absorbing zone ($100k), so that money will vanish regardless of the car chosen.

Dedicated track car (a race car). Pick-up an used factory Porsche race car, run cheaper tires, fuel up and go. 996, 997, 991, pick your flavor. In a few months there will be a higher number of now old Cayman GT4 CS, due to the series switching to the 718 Cayman GT4 CS/MR (flavor of the day), that's another factory race car worth considering, and one with lower operating costs than any factory 911 race car.

Any of these race cars offer a safer and more fun experience.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Gt3rs.2
Track Day

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
[This thread is about the 991.2 GT2RS / GT3RS, at least in part. Hence the choice of this forum.]

I have a 997 GT2, which I adore. I've always considered it a lifetime car. My DD is a Tesla (which I love); every time I get into the GT2 the juxtaposition between the two reminds me about how analog cars once were, and I love that feeling. I imagine it will only grow greater as cars automate further away from the driver, making the GT2 an incredible example of a bygone era for decades to come. That said, I have some friends who said the same of their 997.2 GT3RS that recently upgraded to 991s and seem to have no regrets at all (the car is that good, they say).

I also like to go to the track and am getting reluctant to take the GT2. For one, it's getting older and things break more frequently which gets expensive. Second, per the above, if I put it into a wall that's ... sad. This brings up a conundrum: if I want to keep tracking (I do) what should I do? Here are the options I've considered:

1) Suck it up and keep using the GT2, spend some money keeping it competitive with newest generation cars (e.g., minor/moderate tune).
2) Supplement the GT2 with a track car (could even be track dedicated/not street legal) and figure out how to stack them in my garage (e.g., a GT4 or maybe a GT4 Clubsport). Unfortunately, I am not sure my garage has the height which might kill this as an option. I am not leaving a car outside
3) Replace the GT2 by selling it and using funds to get something newer e.g., Performante, 600LT or GT3 RS.

For 2 and 3 I think the net spend I am willing to absorb is somewhere around $100k.

For 3, I obviously love Porsche, but I have a number of friends in 991.2 3RS' and GT2RS' (incredible group, they are) and so I have some motivation to do something different to bring some diversity to the track.

I looked at the Performante and just can't see myself in a Lamborghini. I am also super reluctant to rely on Lambo like I would Porsche if something breaks on the track. So, that sort of leads to the 600LT. I think McLaren is much more track friendly/supportive. My concern with the 600LT is principally around depreciation. Will it get slammed like most McLaren's have in the past (or is this just a 12C issue?) or will it behave more like the 675LT?

So that leaves me vacillating between 600LT, 991.2 3RS, and staying with GT2. Be different, be the same, or be nostalgic and risky. ��*♂️

I am looking for advice on how to make this decision. Can anyone offer thoughts?
675lt goes for about 100k under sticker, I’d say the same for the 600lt in a few years. probably would take the 675lt at the 100k off personally between the two.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:02 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I had a 997 GT two and recently sold it, I think the 997 GT cars Have taken a little hit recently so might be worth keeping to see if they bounce back otherwise Move on…… I’ve always enjoyed the turbo torque addiction but recently have been enjoying a 997 GT three and definitely find it much more exciting day to day on the road.... if I was tracking I think I’d end up with a 991PDK gt3 or 3rs model
Old 01-22-2019, 05:10 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a doubt my suggestion would be a dedicated track car if you are looking to spend more time at the track, for a bunch of reasons:

Typically no matter how good your street car is on track, a dedicated track car tuned and set up for the track is going to be better. Not necessarily faster lap times (dependent upon the car, of course), but better balance, better feel, better feedback, better ability to drive at the limit, etc. You can run a really stiff suspension if you want, noisy race brakes, no exhaust, a race seat with 6 point harnesses, etc. All the stuff you wouldn't do to a car you're going to drive on the street sometimes. A track car is a track car, not a compromise with a street car. And that makes it more fun.

Track use puts a lot of wear and tear on a car, which means you take a hit on resale. Typically people are less enthused about buying a "street car" that's seen a lot of track use and has had a lot of parts replaced. People expect track cars to be used on track, so as long as your track car is in good shape, prior use isn't an issue (except possibly hours on the motor and transmission).

When you run a really nice (and expensive) street car on the track, in the back of your mind you are always worried about putting it into a wall. You're obviously still concerned about putting a track car into the wall, but it's not as major of an issue. So you can enjoy your track time more and push a little harder because you're not worried about possibly wrecking your street car. If you bang up a fender on your GT2, there will be tears, big $ expenses, and a big loss of value. If you bang up a fender on your track car you put a new fender on it (preferably one that matches, sort of, but if not it's not a big deal) and go out and drive again.

Replacing worn parts on a GT2 is going to be much more expensive than parts for a lot of track cars.

There is no need to get a high horsepower, high dollar track car. If you're just getting into tracking heavily, you can get a good Spec Miata for $20K and have a blast driving it at the limit at every track you can get to. If you eventually want more speed, you can go with a different type of car down the road. Just because one car is "slower" than another doesn't mean it's easier to drive. I've driven Spec Miatas, Caymans, GT3s, Cup Cars, Formula Mazdas, Pro Mazdas, and a bunch of other stuff, and the basic experience is the same in all of them. Driving at the limit is driving at the limit. In a slower car things don't happen quite as fast, which is good if you're just starting to track a lot. And actually as you get into cars with more aero (Pro Mazda, Radical, etc.) it actually gets easier to drive because the aero helps you out so much. So getting something like a Spec Miata or a 944 as a dedicated track car will be a lot of fun, and you have to work to drive it quickly. Which is the point of doing it (at least IMO).

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:13 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Keep GT2, buy a clubsport. Best of both worlds.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Keep the GT2.
One of the few I regret selling.

Add a dedicated track or race car if possible.
Around here garage size storage units are becoming fairly popular. That might be an option for additional vehicle storage.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Keep the GT2. Get a dedicated track car. Then you have a great car for both street and track. I would lean towards getting a non-street legal track car like what tstafford did (Radical).
Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 PM
Boxers12
Intermediate

If you thinking track car look at a Wolf either two seat or single seat. I have had one for over a year and it is an amazing car, very low cost to run and runs circles around most cars. Much better car than a radical. I am even looking at taking the next step and going to a turbo Wolf.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
This ^

Or, just get a GT4 (non club sport) and flog it. Probably depends on how much track time you are speaking of? 5 days a year (GT4) or 20 weekends (Clubsport).
Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
Thanks. Do you know where one calls to inquire about buying a Clubsport? I've been all over the Porsche site and I can't find anything...
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd look into the Ariel atom with the Civic R engine in it. 0-100 in 6.2 secs. Manual. Under 75k Easy to stack a small Atom.

Quick Reply: Opinions please (please be kind 🤞)