991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats up with my car?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. She's at the PPF shop now. I"ll report when I get her back and get to drive her again.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Thanks for all the help guys. She's at the PPF shop now. I"ll report when I get her back and get to drive her again.
‘She’. Unwanted noises? Afraid this cannot be fixed.

I’ll show myself out...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The backpack could be the culprit, triggering the passenger airbag on and off. If so easy fix. Congrats on the new car.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:02 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Based on everything you've checked OP, my theory is the backpack. Heavy enough to throw the seatbelt chime I'd guess.

There shouldn't be anything else that sets off a tone or chime in the car. At least that I can recall.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 AM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Can it be the parking sensors? Sometimes they randomly go off if rain or snow are on them but they don’t always show the icon on the centre console. Doesn’t fit with it being related to speed however.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow glad to see this thread. No issues with my GT3 but my 2019 Carrera T has this mysterious chime that goes off at random speeds and places. Double checked speed limiters and they were off, even set to both limiters to go off at 186mph and that wasn’t it. No backpack etc in my car. No warning in the dash just a single blasted chime.
Thought possibly there was a message in my phone that I hadn’t opened before getting in the car....nope not that either. Whenever I do get a message while driving the message envelope lights up and when Chile when off there was no message.
worst part is that it’s totaly random, different speeds etc., and it usually happens only once during a drive and won’t happen again until engine is turned off and restarted, even then it’s not reproducible.
dives me nuts....HELP ANYONE
Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
My car intermittently plays a warning chime on the freeway. Both speed limiters are set to inactive. Is the chime for exceeding the speed limit or what?
Wow glad to see this thread. No issues with my GT3 but my 2019 Carrera T has this mysterious chime that goes off at random speeds and places. Double checked speed limiters and they were off, even set to both limiters to go off at 186mph and that wasn’t it. No backpack etc in my car. No warning in the dash just a single blasted chime.
Thought possibly there was a message in my phone that I hadn’t opened before getting in the car....nope not that either. Whenever I do get a message while driving the message envelope lights up and when Chile when off there was no message.
worst part is that it’s totaly random, different speeds etc., and it usually happens only once during a drive and won’t happen again until engine is turned off and restarted, even then it’s not reproducible.
dives me nuts....HELP ANYONE
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Ok, so here's an update. The car bongs once as you pass 50 mph and then starts bonging continuously after passing 70-75 mph. It bongs softly, almost imperceptibly but it bongs. The car was at the Porsche dealership for hours yesterday and the shop foreman tried everything he could think of to diagnose the issue. He said he has never seen this before and he finally had to engage Porsche's national dealer mechanics support telephone line and hopes to get some feedback today. If that doesn't solve the issue he said he will have to communicate with Porsche Germany's dealer mechanics support telephone line. I'll update this thread when he tells me what he finds out.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Weird but interesting. I write software, sometimes I put in beeps in my programs to debug stuff and forgets that it is there and gives the programs to the users. Maybe Porsche is doing the same
Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

And is there a warning chime for break-in periods within a certain mileage?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
And is there a warning chime for break-in periods within a certain mileage?
This isn't BMW.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure you guys aren't driving McLaren's? How could the most reliable cars on the roads/tracks have electrical issues??!!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:25 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 561 Posts

My ‘18 BMW was chiming intermittently. Took awhile to figure out that if I came within a certain proximity to the vehicle in front - it would chime once.
A warning light sometimes flashes quickly in the instrument cluster but it doesn’t stay long and is easy to miss.
I never use cruise control and haven’t yet figured it out but it’s rare and not too bothereome.

Could it be a proximity warning as you close in on traffic ahead?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Could it be a proximity warning as you close in on traffic ahead?
No such thing in the GT3. Car would need to have the ACC option, which is not available.

That would not be fun at the track.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
No such thing in the GT3. Car would need to have the ACC option, which is not available.

That would not be fun at the track.
Hmmmmm. My car (GTS) doesn’t have ACC. But it does sometimes give off a proximity warning from a parking sensor at inappropriate times. It’s really rare though. Perhaps the OP should disable the audible warnings using the switch and see if the issue continues ?

Unlikely as it seems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats up with my car?