Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring - Integrated Radar Detector and Laser Jammers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Amazing work! Personally I would skip the front center laser unit as I believe you have plenty of real-world coverage with the two outer ones under the headlights, and it’s hard to hide that center one.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:54 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick, Really nice install. Pulled my ALP out of my old RS and have not had it installed in my .2 yet. Been lazy! I have a question about how you mounted the heads. I was told that they need to be level, square, and protrude slightly from the front bumper for maximum effectiveness. Also, I had three heads in the front and two in the rear. I like the way you concealed everything. Have you done any testing on this configuration? Any degradation in the system's ability? Thanks!

Edit - I assumed the center head was the radar. Maybe that's the center jammer. Can you clarify? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice work once again Nick. These are the most custom and well designed/integrated system installs I have ever seen. Just like anything else, have to pay to play.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 AM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful integration. PM me pricing. Local. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Amazing work! Personally I would skip the front center laser unit as I believe you have plenty of real-world coverage with the two outer ones under the headlights, and it’s hard to hide that center one.
Wrong
Three heads up front are a must to jam certain LIDAR guns. Random pulse guns such as Dragon eye will defeat two heads. The "TX" sensor would only need one regular head and one TX head, but can't be used on these cars. A minimum of 24 inches of ground clearance is needed to prevent shadows that would disrupt the tx censer
Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Anyone in Phoenix area that can install a system like this that is hidden and high quality?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lodi
Nick, Really nice install. Pulled my ALP out of my old RS and have not had it installed in my .2 yet. Been lazy! I have a question about how you mounted the heads. I was told that they need to be level, square, and protrude slightly from the front bumper for maximum effectiveness. Also, I had three heads in the front and two in the rear. I like the way you concealed everything. Have you done any testing on this configuration? Any degradation in the system's ability? Thanks!

Edit - I assumed the center head was the radar. Maybe that's the center jammer. Can you clarify? Thanks!
My three front heads are installed. Next to center head is a NavTV front camera, no scraping front end pulling into parking spots.
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0to60
Wrong
Three heads up front are a must to jam certain LIDAR guns. Random pulse guns such as Dragon eye will defeat two heads. The "TX" sensor would only need one regular head and one TX head, but can't be used on these cars. A minimum of 24 inches of ground clearance is needed to prevent shadows that would disrupt the tx censer
What is it about the Dragon Eye that necessitates the center receiver head? Seems redundant when LIDAR is shot at realistic distances and the spot sizes are so large on the car. Genuinely curious as I had great PT performance with a 2-head setup against 5 or 6 guns when tested (on a TTRS).
Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

What is it about the Dragon Eye that necessitates the center receiver head? Seems redundant when LIDAR is shot at realistic distances and the spot sizes are so large on the car. Genuinely curious as I had great PT performance with a 2-head setup against 5 or 6 guns when tested (on a TTRS).
Most LIDAR receivers are pre pre programmed for the wave length. However technology is changing and the new LIDAR guns departments are using RADA pulse of technology. The algorithms control this Radom LIDAR. Ideally we must have 3 sensors up front two in in the rear
This is unit is by far the best solution for countermeasures.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0to60
Most LIDAR receivers are pre pre programmed for the wave length. However technology is changing and the new LIDAR guns departments are using RADA pulse of technology. The algorithms control this Radom LIDAR. Ideally we must have 3 sensors up front two in in the rear
This is unit is by far the best solution for countermeasures.
What does this have to do with needing a center RX for coverage? While more heads are always better (why not 10 up front?) the reality is the beam sizes are quite large at realistic target ring distances and one can get away with just 2 well-places front heads as a better cosmetic vs performs s trade-off.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
This is an awesome install. Congrats on the quality work, craftsmanship and attention to detail. I’m kind of curious what it costs but pretty sure I can’t afford it. Also, still a fan of my Valentine and not convinced laser jammers are effective based on what I’ve read and seen on YouTube. Anyway, thanks for posting. Very cool.
Thanks for the kind words! You know, before I had them on my personal car I had the same opinion – I didn't think there was anyway laser jamming works in a real-world situation. I have an ALP system on my daily driver now, and it's saves me from a ticket at least once a month. Confirmed performance. I'll never own a car without them now!

The V1 is definitely one of the best windshield-mount detectors out there, and if you ever decided to take the laser plunge, ALP connects directly to your V1 with an interface module.

Originally Posted by Lodi

Center piece is definitely a third ALP head. All three jammers are perfectly level and aligned with the car – that's honestly the most important element for us. It doesn't matter how great something looks if it's not effective! We've done real world testing with this lens design and the signal degradation is less that 3%. Not enough to call it a performance handicap in my opinion.

Originally Posted by STG
Nice work once again Nick. These are the most custom and well designed/integrated system installs I have ever seen. Just like anything else, have to pay to play.
Thank you, sir. Always a pleasure to get your feedback.

Originally Posted by smbryan
Beautiful integration. PM me pricing. Local. Thanks!
Thanks – Will do!

Originally Posted by joejenie
Anyone in Phoenix area that can install a system like this that is hidden and high quality?
We handle vehicle transport from anywhere in the world

The Dragon Eye(DE) is one of the first guns to use Random Pulse Rate(RPR) technology. Laser speed acquisition started with a static pulse rate pattern, meaning the laser gun would emit a signal every couple milliseconds and read the time gaps between the return signals to determine speed – pretty straight forward. The birth of laser jamming forced the guns to have a preset pattern where it might emit three quick pulses followed by five slow pulses, this way the gun could sift through the signal to defeat the laser jammers. Now that all of those patterns are pre-stored in your laser jammers, the only way to fool the system is by generating a completely new pattern every time the LEO pulls the trigger. This is what Dragon Eye does. They're just the first with the tech, and his is the way that the industry is moving.

When working with RPR guns, your jamming system has to read the new pattern within milliseconds and emit a new jam pattern to fool the gun. This is the reason for having three heads up front as well as using the high-powered TX in the rear. One jammer will shut down its send section to process on the receive side even faster. So with three heads in the front, you'll actually be reading on one and jamming on two. It's more of a performance feature than a physical coverage benefit. Same thing in the rear - one receive, one transmit.

Hope that helps!

—Nick
Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

What does this have to do with needing a center RX for coverage? While more heads are always better (why not 10 up front?) the reality is the beam sizes are quite large at realistic target ring distances and one can get away with just 2 well-places front heads as a better cosmetic vs performs s trade-off.
From ALP's website
Why go against their recommendations ?
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Signature Audio in Scottsdale.
If I remember right it's around $4800.
They can also add a front parking camera if desired.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Signature Audio in Scottsdale.
If I remember right it's around $4800.
They can also add a front parking camera if desired.
Thanks Bill.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Incredible craftsmanship guys, a product like this is only as good as the install and you have set the bar pretty high

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring - Integrated Radar Detector and Laser Jammers