Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   SpeedTech 991.2 GT3 Exhaust Development Thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1124792-speedtech-991-2-gt3-exhaust-development-thread.html)

John D II 01-18-2019 10:51 PM

SpeedTech 991.2 GT3 Exhaust Development Thread

SpeedTech is very fortunate to have a new 2019 Porsche 991.2 GT3 "RS" model left in our care for exhaust design and testing! Today was the start of our journey to create an epic performing and sounding GT3 exhaust. We have some new, innovative ideas that we wish to employ for the first time in this GT3 design and are very excited to implement them on this model. We are cautiously optimistic that we can achieve exceptionally positive results. I will update this thread as we get further along and into the testing phase of this project. Our schedule calls for a tested design and finished product available around the end of February....We understand this is a crowded market, but feel we have something that will differentiate itself a bit from the field, making it a very worthy alternative.

Pictured is the OEM center muffler removed for examination and subsequent jig construction.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ca3f177e66.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b12774a5fe.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1ad7bfd4c1.jpg

Gasman85 01-18-2019 11:41 PM

I think the market wants a valved side muffler delete for weight reduction paired with a center bypass to get that loud RSR sound with the ability to tone it down with the valves.

mdrums 01-19-2019 12:17 AM

What would be really trick and I bet sell really well would be :

Side Muffler Deletes that are valved that go into a center muffler that is a 2 part piece where the valves close and route the exhaust through the top of the side muffler delete into the top of the center muffler for a muffler type of sound...nice, louder than stock but no drone.

Then open the valves on the side muffler deletes to route the exhaust through the bottom of the center muffler that is actually a straight through center pipe design.

TT Chris 01-19-2019 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mdrums (Post 15577008)

Side Muffler Deletes that are valved that go into a center muffler that is a 2 part piece where the valves close and route the exhaust through the top of the side muffler delete into the top of the center muffler for a muffler type of sound...nice, louder than stock but no drone.

Then open the valves on the side muffler deletes to route the exhaust through the bottom of the center muffler that is actually a straight through center pipe design.

Doesn't JCR have a setup you can piece together just as you described? And it's full titanium .

BlazinPond 01-19-2019 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by TT Chris (Post 15577066)
Doesn't JCR have a setup you can piece together just as you described? And it's full titanium .

Exactly!

Robert Linton 01-19-2019 09:32 AM

Don't mean to be negative but I can count approximately 120 other firms that make exhausts. As such, it's truly hard to believe that another one can add anything significant.

mdrums 01-19-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TT Chris (Post 15577066)

Do they? I dont know....I will have to go look now...thanks

John D II 01-19-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gasman85 (Post 15576931)
I think the market wants a valved side muffler delete for weight reduction paired with a center bypass to get that loud RSR sound with the ability to tone it down with the valves.

Yes, we are exploring exactly that....we plan to offer our system in T304 stainless steel and optional full titanium versions. We will sound test and video document the tonal qualities of each style and share the sound clips on our web site for customers to decide which they prefer...

John D II 01-19-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Linton (Post 15577410)
Don't mean to be negative but I can count approximately 120 other firms that make exhausts. As such, it's truly hard to believe that another one can add anything significant.

Robert, it's what we do and time will tell. And we plan a full titanium version, as well, which is not so common. I am a Porsche enthusiast and have driven a 911 my entire life, logging over half a million miles behind the wheel of a 911. I started making Porsche exhausts many years ago as a hobby, as I have another business in a totally different industry that serves as a solid base. SpeedTech is just something I enjoy doing and I will derive personal satisfaction designing, prototyping, testing and in the end seeing our creation in action. When I go on PCA club rallies, there are almost always multiple SpeedTech exhausts in the mix and it is very enjoyable to speak with our very satisfied customers and enjoy the day. What I am saying is that I enjoy the ride and don't care how many others are out there. With SpeedTech, it's all about the fun for me. If you read our testimonials, you will see we have developed some of the most popular and what many describe as the best sounding Porsche turbo exhausts in the world. I feel I can do the same for new GT3 owners. It's because during development, I test, I tweak and most importantly, as a lifetime Porsche 911 enthusiast, I care about our final product.

mac10 01-19-2019 02:40 PM

John,

I am really looking forward to your GT3 exhaust!(Especially titanium model which very few are making, even less in a true x-pipe design). Having had dozens of popular and 'best sounding' exhausts on my exotic cars for years and most recently going SpeedTech on a .2 4S, I am a true believer . Your passion and love for these cars shows in your exhausts, they are beautifully made and simply sound amazing!

drdonger 01-19-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mdrums (Post 15577008)

Basically and IPE or AWE switchpath exhaust.

erik_plus8 01-20-2019 05:01 AM

If you come up with something that you can guarantee deletes the 1500-3500rpm drone/booming with the valves open - you have a customer. That particular offer doesn't seem to exist on the market yet...

fxz 01-20-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by erik_plus8 (Post 15579305)
If you come up with something that you can guarantee deletes the 1500-3500rpm drone/booming with the valves open - you have a customer. That particular offer doesn't seem to exist on the market yet...

A valved side mufflers delete using center muffler between 1k / 3k rpm?

erik_plus8 01-20-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by fxz (Post 15579354)
A valved side mufflers delete using center muffler between 1k / 3k rpm?

Well, according even to (a couple of) manufacturers of those, they drone with valves open in that rev range . I do not want the valves in play at all - I really do not like the transition they create...

fxz 01-20-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by erik_plus8 (Post 15579384)
Well, according even to (a couple of) manufacturers of those, they drone with valves open in that rev range . I do not want the valves in play at all - I really do not like the transition they create...

del

see best exhaust thread