Side bypass & down shifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 03:01 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Side bypass & down shifts

Hey guys,

For those with side muffler delete/bypass, does your exhaust make a weird back-fire noise (as if the exhaust is being choked) when you rev match to downshift?

I've had a bit more seat time in my Touring today with 200 cell cats and non-valved side muffler deletes with the stock muffler. The soundtrack is great, it's just whenever I rev match to go to a lower gear, it seems like I'm choking the exhaust for that half a second of throttle blip. Curious if this is normal. This may also be applicable if you're running race headers with side muffler deletes as well (valved and non-valved)

Thank in advance

Last edited by SocalTouring; 01-18-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:28 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Which side bypass ? Dual or single pipe? Brand? 200cell from?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:25 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

FVD bypass, non-valved single. Headers are Cargraphic with 200 cell cats
Old 01-18-2019, 09:20 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Is the HW newly installed? It might take some running time for the ECU to adapt to the new conditions i.e. lower back pressure.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:40 PM
SocalTouring
Racer

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Is the HW newly installed? It might take some running time for the ECU to adapt to the new conditions i.e. lower back pressure.
That's what I was thinking. Perhaps with a bit of miles that'll go away so I plan to put some more miles on it today.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:52 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it...

(I envy you - here we have freezing temps for like two more months...)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalTouring
The FVD is a single pipe by pass....plus your 200 cell cats...did you get a tune also?

My GT3 is PDK, stock headers cats but with Soul dual outlet valved side by pass. I have the valved unplugged right now so they are always open....zero issues with sound or down shifts. No hoping noise at all.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 PM
SocalTouring
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
The FVD is a single pipe by pass....plus your 200 cell cats...did you get a tune also?

My GT3 is PDK, stock headers cats but with Soul dual outlet valved side by pass. I have the valved unplugged right now so they are always open....zero issues with sound or down shifts. No hoping noise at all.
Interesting. Do you have drone in the 2-3K RPM range? I'm thinking it might be the lower back pressure from the 200 cell cats

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it...

(I envy you - here we have freezing temps for like two more months...)
Yeah CA is great. I think we just got our annual allotment of rain this week and now it's sunny again =D
Old 01-18-2019, 05:11 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

.That s loud!

No drones at 2/3k rpm?

Sunday i will test FVD 200cells plus FVD side single bypass with Oem center mufflers and let you know

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM
SocalTouring
Racer

Originally Posted by fxz
.That s loud!

No drones at 2/3k rpm?

Sunday i will test FVD 200cells plus FVD side single bypass with Oem center mufflers and let you know
That will be similar to my setup - Cargraphics headers with 200 cell cats, single bypass, oe center. It sounds amazing, not as loud as I thought. Just the right amount of volume. Only thing is it drones like hell from 2-3K. I shift at 4K+ anyway so it doesn't bother me much.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Interesting. Do you have drone in the 2-3K RPM range? I'm thinking it might be the lower back pressure from the 200 cell cats

Yeah CA is great. I think we just got our annual allotment of rain this week and now it's sunny again =D
No drone in mine. Most all side delete pipes...valved and none valved use both rear muffler entries. Soul performance soulpp.com has a great cutaway photo on there website. So even with valves open or using there non valved version you get a small amount of bleed off into the top portion of the muffler.

Hope you got all the rain gone...I’ll be in Anaheim on Tuesday till Saturday for my industries convention.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:01 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

I have a pair of Fabspeed sidebypass pipes for sale on eBay. They are valved.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums

No drone in mine. Most all side delete pipes...valved and none valved use both rear muffler entries. Soul performance soulpp.com has a great cutaway photo on there website. So even with valves open or using there non valved version you get a small amount of bleed off into the top portion of the muffler.

Hope you got all the rain gone...I’ll be in Anaheim on Tuesday till Saturday for my industries convention.

yeah I was considering the non-valved dual like SoulPP’s piece but I’m thinking I need 100% to go through the top channel to eliminate the drone so valved seem to be the only way

Im curious if I’m the only one who’s having this issue. There’s definite a fluttering sound when I rev match for downshifts with these 200 cell headers and the side bypass... I’m sure there are others with 200 cell cats...

Last edited by SocalTouring; 01-22-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 AM
fxz
Race Car

yeah I was considering the non-valved dual like SoulPP’s piece but I’m thinking I need 100% to go through the top channel to eliminate the drone so valved seem to be the only way

Im curious if I’m the only one who’s having this issue. There’s definite a fluttering sound when I rev match for downshifts with these 200 cell headers and the side bypass... I’m sure there are others with 200 cell cats...
Hi

not tested wot but no issues and surprisingly no drones

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1035370-best-exhaust-for-a-991-2-gt3-60.html#post15580309
Old 01-22-2019, 06:45 PM
SocalTouring
Racer

Thank you so much for that. Yours sound very similar to mine. There is a tiny bit of drone around 2-3K but I'm sure you're not noticing it. The only difference between yours and mine is the fluttering on downshifts. I will try to get an audio clip uploaded.

Which header do you have?

Quick Reply: Side bypass & down shifts