Sponsored by:

Swap RS for GT3 Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NBoost
There's a thread on here somewhere a guy started that converted an RS to manual, not sure what your tolerance for complicated projects is...
BGB Motorsports out of FL.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-manual-swap/
Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CarPor
2CV: what a motor?
Brilliant gearbox - rifle bolt quick: great clutch: lovely noise at max revs (which you experience a lot): light as a feather: never, ever, in a million years will you get a speeding ticket: versatile - seats removable for impromptu alfresco meals: hubcaps great as frying pans - tip, let them cool before putting back on the wheel.

Driving experience? Imagine, getting stuck behind a slow bus at say 45mph; you’re raring to overtake with a queue of frustrated drivers behind you. Opportunity to overtake! Give the 2CV it’s head, pedal to the metal. Revs rise; move out... & bang, wind resistance shunts the car three places back in the queue! Oh well, that’s life.
True story, we owned a 2CV in that exact blue colour (you’ll will have quessed by now we are U.K. based): it was our 2nd family car - sold the principle car, a 944 Turbo, & kept the Citroen. Bought another, a number of years later as well, therapy obviously didn’t work.
Engagement paramount: speed/acceleration ephemeral/passé.
Awesome write up Car Por. Went to college in twickenham, best car to own but couldn’t afford it. Door and roof on or off... whatever you want, done in an instant! Dreamt of touring the rest of Europe in it.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 PM
portmoody911
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku

Bearing in mind that so much of a cars likes and dislikes are subjective, here’s what I missed.

Handling - for me the GT3 doesn’t come close to the front end grip and feel of the .1 RS. The difference is very noticeable and directly affects the next point I state.

Confidence Inspiring - the RS gives you a degree of confidence that was unequalled by my manual .2 GT3. Throwing the RS around mountain roads was predictive...no crazy surprises.The GT3 hops and twitches and in sports mode and rev matching did some weird things when shifting going into a sharp corner. I’m not into white knuckle moments.

Presence - for me the aesthetics and rawness of the bolder design of the RS just ticks boxes that the GT3 didn’t.

PDK - dare I say it... I actually missed the PDK! It’s instant downshifts enable speed shifts (acceleration and deceleration) that provides an entirely different dimension of driving than a manual GT3. The manual is sublime... but if it’s a manual car you want get a GT4 manual GTS.

The above are just from my personal non technical bone-headed perspective. So much is subjective and I respect others opinion on the choices.
Thanks, I appreciate this type of detail...

Originally Posted by fxz
Yes and this one is perfect,

-more torquey on low and mid range
-6th gear 1000rpm foot down and it goes
-sexy 911 curves (i'll let Calexio traslating what the word tamarro is meaning for)
-play in 2nd gear with the increased torque for a wheels spin
-pdk is good at not legal speed on track or very free desert road
-manual is lighter

thanks to ours 991.1RS and 991R beta testers you will get on 991.2 GT3 the best flat6 N.A. engine and manual trasmission they have ever built after >50years of 911s
and is not a small thing
Thanks, again, great detail..
Old 01-18-2019, 09:49 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Forget about detail and humming and hawing. Just do it!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:09 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

It’s funny that people now days say “if you track, pdk. For street, manual”... it seems the art/skill of manual shifting is disappearing. It’s like no one remembers when these car only came with manual transmission.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^ not disappearing. I genuinely have more fun w/pdk at the track. I like 1 dct toy for the street in the lineup but everything else is manual because 9/10 times, I want manual on street. No lost art; just preference.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Mexico Blue GT3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a '16 GT3 RS and now have a 991.2 GT3 manual, I much prefer the GT3 manual over the RS. The engine is much stronger in the low and mid range and the manual is magic. The manual adds an element of driving excitement and involvment the PDK cannot duplicate. It's a no-brainer and I'd do it all over again.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

How about keeping the RS and getting the next manual GT4?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

.2 engine is a different beast. Much more torque. Couple that with a manual transmission and you have an amazing visceral experience. I wouldn't trade my .2 GT3 manual for a .1 RS + cash.
The following users liked this post:
Porsches (04-01-2020)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by portmoody911
I have an opportunity to trade my 2016 RS for a 2018 GT3. I really want a manual as I only track my car 1-2 times per year. Thoughts?

Would ya?
This car is so much damn fun. I think its more fun than an automatic especially on the track. the speed shifting is highly addictive. rev match is fine when you want to focus on braking or on street. still do the heel/toe on track just to make sure i don't forget
Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexico Blue GT3
I had a '16 GT3 RS and now have a 991.2 GT3 manual, I much prefer the GT3 manual over the RS. The engine is much stronger in the low and mid range and the manual is magic. The manual adds an element of driving excitement and involvment the PDK cannot duplicate. It's a no-brainer and I'd do it all over again.

For me the sequential like character of pdkprovides a lot of involment from the tactile feel of the shifts, the instantaneous nature of the shifts and the race car sound of the shifts plus RS gives it all the sense of occasion I need and few can match.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

There are also other great options for an mt fix out there in Porsche flavors for reasonable prices. This option is one of the all time best. Hands down.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

For me the sequential like character of pdkprovides a lot of involment from the tactile feel of the shifts, the instantaneous nature of the shifts and the race car sound of the shifts plus RS gives it all the sense of occasion I need and few can match.
Exactly this....
Agree completely!
depending on throttle input on up- / down-shifting you get a completely different shift and when your in it .2rs pdk acts and sounds like an amazing sequential gearbox
you can even heel and toe it if you like, it will let you blip the throttle on the downshift if done right
a multidimensional experience this pdk, not just another 'automatic'

manual is a lot off but can't bear wondering how much clutch life is left and synchro / gear wear after any suboptimal shift.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Never trade an RS for a GT3 of any iteration only the other way around or RS to RS.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Wish I could make more time for track and get pro instruction to become better driver on track. Meantime, though, it’s just so much sensory overload on track to apply the correct steering, braking and throttle inputs to hit the turn-ins and apexes correctly and not crash that PDK-S makes it all so much more harmonious (and safe). I found it was better (for me) to just leave the PDK in sport auto mode as even using the paddles distracted me sometimes from following the right line.

For street, which is 99% of my use, love the manual though.

Having said that, have been on track with 991.1 GT3 PDK and 981 Spyder manual. Haven’t been on track yet with my 991.2 GT3 Touring manual. The Spyder (being basically a GT4) has less torque and power, so it’s not as scary on track as I fear the GT3 Touring will be with its higher power and torque than 991.1 and the extra inputs of manual too. Maybe I’ll just stay in 3rd gear as much as possible....

Quick Reply: Swap RS for GT3 Manual?