New Member: PCCB or WP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 PM
matt3rs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member: PCCB or WP?

Hi everyone,

I was finally given a 3RS allocation after putting my name on the list 3 years ago. I am in the speccing stage and my spec locks in at the end of January which gives me less than 2 weeks if I don't want to cut it too close to the deadline.

I have somewhat of a dilemma as to which option to choose. If budget was out the window, I'd tick every option on the list but unfortunately it isn't so.
Like some on this forum, I question the reasoning behind people who opt for the WP from a practical standpoint as we don't even get a cage. I have nothing against it as I think it looks great, but I simply struggle at the value. I suppose where it gets me most is when you can draw a similarity with Apple. The cult following will inhale anything released no matter how controversial. The WP, to me, in a nutshell, is less paint and a badge for 20k (CAD). As this topic had to discussed ad nauseam, I won't dive into it more than I already had.
My dilemma is this: Should I opt for the WP and leave out the PCCB, or spec the PCCB without the WP?
The reason for this is simply the market value perhaps 2 years down the line when I want to trade in the car for the next RS.
How would a WP with steel brakes do VS a non WP with PCCB? What would you guys prefer in your opinion?

Again, new member here, please spare the roast.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I'd go for WP.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Stands to reason that one or the other makes sense....

If car is for a track die-hard use, regular brakes are usually preferred by most, and WP, while somewhat of a styling exercise, is also about making the car more track focused for weight-savings (and just track cred).

If car is for spirited road use with only rare or occasional light track use, then WP is solely a styling exercise but PCCB is nice for no brake dust to keep wheels clean, look great, and last practically the life of the car.

So which are you?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Put your build in the thread as to determine what type of future RS owner you could be, and share its intended use, then we can comment.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 623 Likes on 346 Posts

I'd say save your money and skip both; neither fundamentally alters the car...
If you absolutely had to chose then maybe WP but then how many WP are there with non-PCCB?

When the next RS comes out, you likely won't recover even 70% of WP cost on resale
Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

WP now comes only with a painted hood. If that works with your aesthetic desires then it may be a consideration. From a performance perspective, more unsprung weight can be saved by changing out the wheels with HRE's or something else. Better still a couple of months in a gym and you're golden

I'm a PCCB convert. Anything that aids braking for me is worth it. Whether you stop quicker or not may need to be proven but the feel of the PCCB's for me is significantly nicer. Most of my driving is on mountain roads and ceramics would be my first choice of options.

So, IMO I would NOT got with WP. Would absolutely go with PCCB.

Congratulations on your allocation!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:35 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

PCCB over WP. As others have said, if you plan to track a lot >5 events a year, you could either consider iron/std brakes or go PCCB and switch to aftermarket iron. This new gen of PCCB seem to be holding up really well to DE events. This is dependent on what tracks you frequent. High speed hard braking will impact differently than low speed more technical. You probably already know that.

I plan on doing 3-4 per year and not switching to iron. PCCB for less sprung weight for turn-in feel and cleaner wheels for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

PCCB over WP for resale value, especially now that is painted CF
Old 01-15-2019, 01:48 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

PCCB
Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

CCB over WP. Especially if you are going to paint over the CFRP.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Isn't it kind of a false choice? My 2 cents - decide on the 2 options independently.
1.WP - Do you really like the WP look enough to spend 20k?
2. PCCB - are you a track rat, if not, is 9k worth it for no brake dust, better feel/bite
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
WP now comes only with a painted hood. If that works with your aesthetic desires then it may be a consideration. From a performance perspective, more unsprung weight can be saved by changing out the wheels with HRE's or something else. Better still a couple of months in a gym and you're golden

I'm a PCCB convert. Anything that aids braking for me is worth it. Whether you stop quicker or not may need to be proven but the feel of the PCCB's for me is significantly nicer. Most of my driving is on mountain roads and ceramics would be my first choice of options.

So, IMO I would NOT got with WP. Would absolutely go with PCCB.

Congratulations on your allocation!
you can still order WP with exposed carbon hood, both options on configurator.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Can you add WP after you already have the car? No.
Can you add PCCB after you already have the car? Yes.

Is WP worth $20K? That's up to you to decide.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Skip both
Old 01-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Drew_W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are making your choice purely on speculating the resale value down the road, then I find it hard to believe anyone here can accurately tell you what either will do for investment purposes. My suggestion is that you buy the car based on your specific usage and budget.

Quick Reply: New Member: PCCB or WP?