Sponsored by:

GT3 or GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I found the GT4 boring as hell, even while thrashed.

.2 GT3 manual is as fun as a barrel full of crack ****** who like you.
Well- that put things in perspective
Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Lapis, I found my GT4 thoroughly entertaining when pushed on all the roads we drove in the Smokies. It wasn't the least bit scary to drive and I think Andy would agree. A couple of the tight switch backs on 'Wayah's sister found the tall second gear to be a bit of a pain but that's it.
Alan's GT4 was a beast. He has that thing dialed in with suspension mods and Dundon headers. Matt Morman did a video of Alan's GT4 on Cherohala and posted on his OG YouTube page.

I always welcomed the opportunity to drive Alan's car. We switched a few times and throughly enjoyed it on the mountain roads. Admittedly, I've never driven one on track, however, I have been on track in my .1 RS with a nicely modified GT4 and did all I could to keep up with him at Putnam Park running 1:14s.

For me though, and Alan knows this, it's the GT3. But if I could have 2 Porsches - one would be an RS and the other a manual GT4 the way Alan set his up.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I loved my CR GT4.

But - the "4.0 is a 4.0". You can not deny the experience. I thought I would miss my GT4 but do not.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
GT4 is a great car to learn car control for track, better balance...
I see others have already disagreed with this statement, but I'll add my voice to theirs. If you see "balance" as weight distribution and 50/50 as "better" then sure, but I'd disagree with both of those perspectives. Rather when I hear "balance" I think handling balance, and in practice the GT4 has faults in that area: understeer significant enough to result in high front tire wear combined with snappy rear breakaway especially in sub-optimal conditions. It's a car that's highly poised until pushed very hard (or you're caught out in the wet/ cold) but then gets ragged quickly. The GT3, on the other hand, is actually significantly more progressive both approaching and exceeding the limits, so from that perspective I'd call it far more balanced.

I'm in the minority but I also don't miss my GT4.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:31 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Lapis, I found my GT4 thoroughly entertaining when pushed on all the roads we drove in the Smokies. It wasn't the least bit scary to drive and I think Andy would agree. A couple of the tight switch backs on 'Wayah's sister found the tall second gear to be a bit of a pain but that's it.
Agreed! If anything I found the turn in and light weight of the GT4 super confidence inspiring (-150lbs vs GT3 FTW!). Especially on the tight stuff like our pre-dawn dragon run there's really nothing between any of these cars and while we do get moving pretty quick I don't think there's anywhere we are going fast enough to approach the limits of the GT4 off the track. I kinda get what Lapis is saying, if you manhandle a 991 and really throw it into a corner it is way more stable and has more grip than a 981. More grip from the wider rear tires, RAS, wider track front and rear, multi-link rear suspension, etc the 991 really sticks compared to the 981 and is ultimately faster. I think you need to be a little smoother on inputs with the 981 vs 991 but that's why I prefer it, to me it feels more agile, engaging, and fun at lower speeds and will move around more than the faster and more buttoned down 991 chassis. For the street I think it would be even more fun with skinnier/slippier street tires to get a little more movement out of the car and a more progressive breakaway since even the GT4 is very very buttoned down at legalish speeds.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
For the street I think it would be even more fun with skinnier/slippier street tires to get a little more movement out of the car and a more progressive breakaway since even the GT4 is very very buttoned down at legalish speeds.
That's why I preferred the 981 Spyder's street setup- more progressive and communicative (along with less responsive and lower grip, but...).

I found the GT4 very confidence inspiring until I'd crossed the limits a few times. Like many 987s and 981s when the tail goes it can really go, both sooner and further than I'd expect. The wrong bump, change in camber or slick patch can see you with an arm-full of lock in a real hurry. Of course that largely warning for fools like myself that drive with the systems off and do approach the limits (intentionally or otherwise), but I learned to have much more confidence and faith in the rear of the 991 than the 981 GT cars. Though I'll fully admit you need to be pedaling for the difference to make itself apparent.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^I think the GT3 just more predictable in its mannerisms than the GT4, You kind of know when your going to lose it and can catch with the GT3 where as the GT4 can snap and catch you by surprise
Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Everyone seems to be forgetting one simple fact - there's a new GT4 due for release in about 2 months

On public roads you can't explore the limits of a GT4 or GT3 - the only time you can readily do this is on closed roads as experienced through road rallying or hill climbs (for example). When you do this you find, very quickly, its a matter of horses for courses melded with driver experience - the conditions that define the outcome are (a) number and type corners and (b) road surface conditions.

As a function of exploring this first hand - I'm on the fence e.g. there are pluses and minuses that apply to both. The GT3 can lay down more power and has a better designed and implemented rear suspension. The GT4 has the ability to rapidly change direction. It will come down to the changes made to the new GT4 and specifically, in my own case, whether it will have PDK (or not).

On track the current GT3 and GT4 are well separated largely due to HP, RAS, rear suspension and PDK-S - the differences is around 2s to 3s per minute or thereabouts. Obviously in timed events this difference is huge - the caveat being timed events, ipso facto generally well matched and experienced drivers. However, this balance will change with the release of the new GT4. How much is yet to be seen but I suspect the difference will drop to ~ 1s per minute. .

Thus on public roads, the difference will be irrelevant - then it becomes which has the more accessible power band and which moves an individual more

Last edited by groundhog; 01-14-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll go all in with the GT3 folks, have 991.1 and 996.2 variants. 996 the most visceral in many ways, smaller, tighter, more tactile to inputs, even a bit to the extreme. Have driven on tracks a bit over the years, now mostly just a fun weekend ride. 991.2 instantly more intense, both from HP and balance. Rear steering, PDK, suspension setup, balance, bad boy noise button, all around inspiring technology at your service. On track, fast and confidence building fairly neutral handling with great power out of the corners. Good stuff. Not crazy about center locks and some of the factory maintenance intervals.....but whatever.
My GT4 is the Clubsport build, was interested in full cage, proper seat and harness, fire system, fuel cell, etc. without going GT3 Cup direction. First year with the car, can say that the race car build hands down on track is more fun, feels way safer and pretty darn fast, even for an old dude. I know a lot is in the slicks and suspension being set up properly, but the car is just telepathic, loud, in your face fun equipment. Missing, psycho redline and some HP, not to a fatal degree, but, well, you just miss that!
DeMan 4.25......well maybe....will see!
For now, will keep the bunch of them, and have fun. Wait, it's winter, they are all hibernating, oh well.....
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Agree with Pete. I love the go cart feeling of my Boxster S, and tracked it extensively.

However, my GT3 is far more predictable and progressive on the track and I feel more comfortable tracking both my 991 GT3s.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Wasn’t there a thread on this a couple weeks ago in the GT3 forum?

whatever, the real question is for $25k, why wouldn’t you buy your GT4 a 4.25L engine making 488 hp at the wheels ? 90k GT4 + 25k = car much cheaper still then a GT3. A lot of money leftover for suspension, brakes and tires
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Five12Free
Wasn’t there a thread on this a couple weeks ago in the GT3 forum?

whatever, the real question is for $25k, why wouldn’t you buy your GT4 a 4.25L engine making 488 hp at the wheels ? 90k GT4 + 25k = car much cheaper still then a GT3. A lot of money leftover for suspension, brakes and tires
As a seconday car I would go this route over buying a Carrera T
Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by prestonr2010
I. Missing, psycho redline and some HP, not to a fatal degree, but, well, you just miss that!
DeMan 4.25......well maybe....will see!
For now, will keep the bunch of them, and have fun. Wait, it's winter, they are all hibernating, oh well.....
Do it! I have a Deman 4l in my GT4, it has been awesome, more power than I can use but still thinking about going 4.25...
Old 01-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Alan, to be fair, your GT4 was heavily improved from stock, you’ve had a lot more seat time in it than I ever did in any GT4, and also, you’re a much better driver than me (and most). I’m just sayin’, GT3 makes it a lot easier to look and feel like a hero. Depending on one’s purposes, that can be a good or a bad thing.

Certainly if you’re a good driver or want to be challenged more to become a better driver, GT4 is great choice.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many reasons to love the GT4. I've driven and ridden in on the track the GT4, one w the standard mods - DSC, toe links, pads, corner balanced/cambered. Standalone, it is a wonderful car. Mid-engine design from a handling perspective is superb.

That said, I ponied up the extra $$ and got the 991.1 GT3. Coming out of a 997.2 S into it, I realize one thing for sure - they are ALL fantastic cars. As I was driving the 997 to sell it to a local dealer after some prep work (new pads and alignment, my own mini-detail) after having the GT3 in hand, I really really enjoyed the drive in the 997.

For me, I like having the roominess of the GT3; I had taken the back seats out of my 997. I also like the shape of the rear of the car much much better. Is the GT4 sexy? Yes. Is the GT3? OMG yes..... motorsport heritage as well of the GT3, with its different body panels - it's more of a widebody compared to the standard coupe, hence the tire and wheel sizes. Even though we think of the RS as the wide body, the GT3 is wider in the rear than a coupe as well, just not as wide as the RS.

If you are thinking about it and have the coin, expand your Porsche experience and enjoyment a bit and try the GT3. You can always keep the GT4 for comparison and sell the one you don't like.

The GT3 is an instant adrenaline generator; open the sport exhaust and wrap it out a bit under an overpass - instant rush, every time. LOVE the sound of this thing; the pops and grunts are varied enough that it sounds somewhat natural, not as artificial/prescripted as the Cayman S manual I drove a year ago.

Good luck with the decision!

Quick Reply: GT3 or GT4?