Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

GT3 or GT4?

Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 PM
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Why not pick up a .1 GT3, make it a dedicated track rat, and enjoy the engine warranty for the next 6 years? Save a ton of money, which can go into consumables.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 PM
ajw45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, to the op’s original question, for a rarely used track car I would buy used 981/987 caged and prepped for track (or e46 m3 or spec e30 or miata). Both GT4 and GT3 are street cars you can take to the track but if you aren't going to drive much on the street, I would buy something cheaper closer to the bottom of the depreciation curve that you can afford to make into a safe and budget friendly track car. It's hard to learn on a car you're worried about scratching because you want max value when you turn it back to the dealer in 6 months.

I've never been slower on track than in a brand new car.....
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Patrick3000
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Oh, to the op’s original question, for a rarely used track car I would buy used 981/987 caged and prepped for track (or e46 m3 or spec e30 or miata). Both GT4 and GT3 are street cars you can take to the track but if you aren't going to drive much on the street, I would buy something cheaper closer to the bottom of the depreciation curve that you can afford to make into a safe and budget friendly track car. It's hard to learn on a car you're worried about scratching because you want max value when you turn it back to the dealer in 6 months.

I've never been slower on track than in a brand new car.....
x2 went to a modified 914/6 conversion as a dedicated track car with full safety equipment from a stock GT4 and could not be happier.

also picked up a 991.2 GT3T for a DD
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
Why not pick up a .1 GT3, make it a dedicated track rat, and enjoy the engine warranty for the next 6 years? Save a ton of money, which can go into consumables.
this. The best GT car to have these days on limited funds for track purposes is a 991.1 GT3 for the reasons rob stated.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 PM
prestonr2010
User

Yes.....I think I'll keep looking at that option (they don't seem to answer emails very quickly, will go the voice route to get details). My only concern is that it would change the car from the base spec and how that would translate if I sold ( I do not plan on racing but someone else might want the base setup?). Anyhow spring is coming so better work on it!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 PM
Five12Free
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lapis View Post

Alan, to be fair, your GT4 was heavily improved from stock, you’ve had a lot more seat time in it than I ever did in any GT4, and also, you’re a much better driver than me (and most). I’m just sayin’, GT3 makes it a lot easier to look and feel like a hero. Depending on one’s purposes, that can be a good or a bad thing.

Certainly if you’re a good driver or want to be challenged more to become a better driver, GT4 is great choice.
GT3 is the better car, no doubt. Anyone who says a stock GT4 is better hasn’t driven both. The GT3 is all that and a bag of chips. Every time I drive one it makes my me all giggly like a kid. However, if you want a manual transmission like I did, 991.1 GT3s were out. I couldn’t get a 991.2 GT3 allocation, so that was out too.

The GT4 is a great car, and good alternative for those with the reasons I stated above. I will say the GT4 seems to be a great blank canvas for those who want to modify their cars. I don’t see guys with GT3s putting different intake manifolds, heads and bigger displacement engines in their cars (yes because they dont have too?) So if you want to mod your car heavily, the value and blank canvas of the GT4 is hard to beat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: