Received 916 Likes on 528 Posts

other than transmission preference ,
RS feel more planted
RS looks more beefy and beastly
RS is more noisy
Stiffness is very close
RS has sharper steering
all these observation are from street driving
by the way I had a 2017 R8 v10 plus , and is an excellent car , more refined than GT cars , but less emotional
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

all the above is just a placebo effect,

Henry at 8 mins tells you the exact difference between the GT3.2 and a GT3RS.2 . Period

Last edited by fxz; 01-11-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I was a few minutes slow on the trigger.

I was going to start a count-down for fxz replying with the link/quote from the Henry Catchpole review that will forever cement the 3 better than the 3rs. One of those Batman warning lights goes off for fxz when someone asks to compare the 1.2 3 vs 3rs. Whew, world order has been restored.

Beg someone to let you drive em both. Lots of differences beyond the transmission but obviously that's a BIG one; and comes down to personal preference.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9

I was going to start a count-down for fxz replying with the link/quote from the Henry Catchpole review that will forever cement the 3 better than the 3rs. One of those Batman warning lights goes off for fxz when someone asks to compare the 1.2 3 vs 3rs. Whew, world order has been restored.

Beg someone to let you drive em both. Lots of differences beyond the transmission but obviously that's a BIG one; and comes down to personal preference.
I drove both but i donno why i still prefer Henry's review over the internet forum track warriors
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Massive difference in the suspension (what matters the most for handling, but few can explore).

Spring rates in 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS and 991.2 GT3 are rhe same, spring rates for .2 RS went up by a lot, like never before, closer to race cars spring rates than any 996/997/991 GT car (where in all these generations spring rates were similar).

I counted at least 18 front and rear suspension bushings that went from rubber to monoballls or full metal, in my 996 GT3 this upgrade made the car drop lap times everywhere. The .1RS and .2 GT3 still use rubber bushings in these 18 points.

Downforce difference is big too, the new .2 RS is the Porsche street car with the most downforce, close to 1000 lbs at 186mph.

All these diferences can only be appreciated at high speed on a racetrack. If the car is intended for street use and occasional track days, a manual GT3 Touring or a 911 R are the ideal choice.

Brakes cooling was also updated for the new RS.

... and the RS can fit fat tires under the stock fenders.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Massive difference in the suspension (what matters the most for handling, but few can explore).

Spring rates in 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS and 991.2 GT3 are rhe same, spring rates for .2 RS went up by a lot, like never before, closer to race cars spring rates than any 996/997/991 GT car (where in all these generations spring rates were similar).

I counted at least 18 front and rear suspension bushings that went from rubber to monoballls or full metal, in my 996 GT3 this upgrade made the car drop lap times everywhere. The .1RS and .2 GT3 still use rubber bushings in these 18 points.

Downforce difference is big too, the new .2 RS is the Porsche street car with the most downforce, close to 1000 lbs at 186mph.

All these diferences can only be appreciated at high speed on a racetrack. If the car is intended for street use and occasional track days, a manual GT3 Touring or a 911 R are the ideal choice.

This along with outrageous RS appearance but also the intangible “RS is RS”.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S

Nice list of differences. If an owner truly wants to buy a GT car to use as it was designed (for a lot of track use), clearly the RS is the better car. However, if its just going to see duty at Cars and Coffee, then yes a GT3 or 911R is just as good.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:42 AM
fxz
Race Car

Here you are warriors

saying a GT3 is s CnC car is the 2019 stupid comment

nor understsnding that the 997 era is gone and RS is good nothing vs a Pista or Performsnte is ridicoulus

if u want to go fast on track these days there are better cars
of course unless you don t have the money or your track targets are Nissan GT R or AMG GT R

Anyhow if u are serious on track buy a new Atom not a CnC look my biig wing i wannabe on track
Old 01-12-2019, 02:46 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9

I had the same thought.

OP- both are great, you can’t go wrong with either. If you want a manual grab the GT3 (or gt4 with a Dundon header and save 80k).

The RS is what it is. Aero, stiffer suspension, more power, better grip and width.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Here you are warriors

nor understsnding that the 997 era is gone and RS is good nothing vs a Pista or Performsnte is ridicoulus

of course unless you don t have the money or your track targets are Nissan GT R or AMG GT R

Anyhow if u are serious on track buy a new Atom not a CnC look my biig wing i wannabe on track
I'm not saying a GT3 is a CnC car. I own and track a GT3!

However, I rarely see a 991 RS on the track, only GT3s and GT4s, as unfortunately the RS has now become a CnC queen.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:43 AM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by Drifting
I'm not saying a GT3 is a CnC car. I own and track a GT3!

However, I rarely see a 991 RS on the track, only GT3s and GT4s, as unfortunately the RS has now become a CnC queen.
Right, apart few exceptions RSs are most often at BBQs meet up or garage sad queens, nothing wrong either but the song i have a wing so i am faster sexier or whatever is broken,
i consider an RS a GT3 with tweaked suspension and aero whilst the engine is finally the same so everyone knows on street you can go as fast as on ANY RS,
on the track i would go with something better without that aeroplane nurburgring wing,

not saying is a bad product when compared to the standard sport cars, until Porsche warranty works all good but everyone think to sell it 1 minute before close to MSRPs and i also think this last of whatever is gone,
nevertheless i love NAs and i wish a carbon tub very light RS or something like the Vonnen kers, then i am in,
because an RS should be an RS

Last edited by fxz; 01-12-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
other than transmission preference ,
RS feel more planted
RS looks more beefy and beastly
RS is more noisy
Stiffness is very close
RS has sharper steering
all these observation are from street driving
by the way I had a 2017 R8 v10 plus , and is an excellent car , more refined than GT cars , but less emotional
i own both and agree with this.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I think any of the current 991 GT are somewhat boring on the street (or jail). I'd rather have a 981 GT/spyder (or fcar or older GT/911 variant). At same time, any of the 991 GT variants are amazing as drive-to-track cars. But, then again, I start to scratch my head about whether I should be tracking a 200k crazy performing car with very little safety equipment (esp in the US). So as amazing as the 991/992 GT gen is, it's starting to fall in a weird zone for me where I might leave it and have some old crap for the street and a more track dedicated car for the track. But it is nice to drive it there, punish it, and drive it back; they all are in a class of their own in that use. And amongst all the 991 GT to choose from, to be used that way, I choose the 991.2 3rs as the best of the litter (a drive-to-track and back home track-focused car). For cnc/back road drives, I can name a dozen other cars I'd rather have vs any 991 GT (some porsche, some not).

Just one man's opinion. I'm sure a lot of people think they are the end all, be all, as fun street cars.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fxz
Here you are warriors

Ok. I'll take the bait. Both the Perf and Pista are more expensive than the RS and substantially so. Perf is marginally faster on average and has 100hp+ on RS, a V10 plus AWD. Pista is 170hp+ , TTV8 and likely only faster by 2RS times if you throw out the "cooked book" time of Ferrari.. The RS is nipping at the Perf's heels on track times with a NA boxer 6 and likely the Pista on shorter circuits if we are talking real times not Ferrari cooked the book times. That's more impressive in my book.

Porsche is the more reliable track car than either and can be made considerably faster for little money with tune, headers etc...

One thing the Perf will be way faster at is depreciation compared to the RS.

Porsche. There is no substitute.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

911 GT3 RS
488 Pista

Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Club

1:17.68

1:16.06

Anneau du Rhin Short

0:56.41