Sponsored by:

Advice on storing GT3 for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Nitrogen filled tires from the factory. No reason to overfill.
Always have them Nitrogen filled at Dealer, as well.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I only ever use 78.09% nitrogen with a splash of argon. Dry.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

If you keep the tires inflated at the recommended pressures, the tire will maintain a specific contour profile to maintain a footpatch, regardless of whether you fill it with ambient air or nitrogen. If you believe in overfilling to avoid flat spots, then you overfill. If you don't believe in overfilling, then don't. Doesn't matter what gas you use.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Just drive it. Pretty rare that I can't get out for a nice extended run on clean roads every 2-3 weeks, even living in Boston. Upside: less traffic - cops, cars, cyclists, runners - on your favorite roads and more endorphins.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
At least in Illinois, I have never done this. For mutiple cars and Porsches included, all with vanilty plates. For over 15 yes. Guess, it's all depending on specific state laws. And that's why I stated "call your insurance professional".
Yup, different based on States (and likely each insurance carrier requirements). In my state, the dealer charges for registration paperwork (which I suppose is optional but who would rather deal with the DMV?!), which is about $500 and it's good for next 5 yrs. So one would lose that essentially if one surrenders their plates (which my insurance carrier requires proof of should I ask for just basic coverage while in storage). In the long run (assuming 3-month storage each winter) you'd probably come atop eventually but still a hassle in my state having to surrender and re-apply for new plates each time you do this (and additionally, if vanity plates it has to stay 'retired' for a certain amount of time before they allow it to become active again).
Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

I never understood the stopping insurance for a short time. I hear it all the time. If you house burns down, you think your Homeowners insurance will cover it? Think again...
You don't stop insurance entirely, just drop the road coverage.
With a few cars in storage I save over $1k annually.
Plus my home and vehicles are with the same carrier.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

One word Jimmy: Mice. You leave a car that long without movement and you are asking for trouble. Maybe get a bubble? Idk, but creatures like to setup shop when they see something has not moved in a while. Also, what would cutting insurance do? Would they still cover this damage?

Found this yesterday.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just drive it. Pretty rare that I can't get out for a nice extended run on clean roads every 2-3 weeks, even living in Boston. Upside: less traffic - cops, cars, cyclists, runners - on your favorite roads and more endorphins.

more horsepower too 🍻
Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
One word: Mice. Would they still cover this damage?
Yes. That would be considered a Comprehensive Claim. Not Collision.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes. That would be considered a Comprehensive Claim. Not Collision.
Thanks Lex!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm so happy that Jimmy posted this, I had exactly the same questions!

It's my first winter with the Porsche and the cold temperatures caught me by surprise. In the past six weeks, I only drove it once (after 3 weeks) and since then it's been standing.

Today, I ordered this trickle down charger:
This

I want to plug it into the cig lighter but the Porsche Charge-o-mat is way too expensive. Ordered this one, does this work on a 987.1 Cayman S?
This one

And this one, wasn't sure which one is right

A question regarding driving it every couple of weeks: How do you check if tthere is no more salt on the street? Is it connected to rain washing it away?

What I learned for the next winter:
1. Fuel up gas tank
2. Put stabilizer in it
3. Inflate tyres +0.5 bar or put them on wood
4. Let air-conditioning run fully to lubricate seals
5. Install trickle down charger
6. Put in new oil once spring comes.

Would you still put in stabilizer and inflate tyres if you were to run the car every 4-6 weeks?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Guys why are we over- complicating a simple winter car storage procedure? It’s January so the car will be parked 3-4 months tops.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:24 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Like Rob mentioned, what do you guys/girls do for rodent prevention? I have a detached 50x30 garage(not heated yet) and always worry about mice. Most of my other cars get used along with my toys, but my Harley, rat rod and GT3 sit during the winter for a couple months. The Harley and Rat really don't have any closed areas for nesting, so most of my care/worry is directed at the GT3. After watching those videos of Matt's(obsessed garage) old GT3 getting the main harness eaten up by mice I've been worried.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Guys why are we over- complicating a simple winter car storage procedure? It’s January so the car will be parked 3-4 months tops.

LOL. 2 reasons. One, it's the baby, so baby it. Two. what else is there to do in the dead of northeast winter?

Anyway, to your point, car will be fine 3-4 months with no winter prep other than trickle charger. Flat spots will go away within a few miles of driving. Fuel stabilizers are for gasoline stored for many many months, not 3. I bought my very first 911 back in 2002. It had an indoor dust cover, parked in my heated attached garage. I even bought tire cradles, silly me. It was fun to do what I now know to be silly things for "the baby". So, let the others have their fun, too

Anyway, anyone want tire cradles? Supposedly guaranteed 100% to prevent flat spots, probably. How about an indoor car cover? May smell of mothballs since it has been stored since 2003. Free!! Just shipping and handling.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Don’t start your car. You are creating condensation that will cause corrosion. Over inflate tires or purchase flat stoppers. I also wash the vehicle and clean/vacuum the interior. Plug in the battery Tender and cover the car. Nothing else.
I've looked into these and it seems they don't really make a difference, can anyone provide feedback?

Quick Reply: Advice on storing GT3 for Winter