Wanted: 2019 RS US-spec orange markers - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Wanted: 2019 RS US-spec orange markers

Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
Of course not and neither are the ROW side markers. Only what comes on the car is legal.
you are wrong.

It’s only US law that the car be manufactured with orange side for US customers. It’s completely legal to switch for clear side markers as long as the light bulb remains orange. Ask any knowledgeable cop.

It’s not legal to make turn signal lights or tail lights so opaque that you practically can’t see the safety light underneath, which is what you’re stating the OP wants to do.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-10-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Originally Posted by Drifting View Post

you are wrong.

Itís only US law that the car be manufactured with orange side for US customers. Itís completely legal to switch for clear side markers as long as the light bulb remains orange. Ask any knowledgeable cop.

Itís not legal to make side lights or tail lights so opaque that you practically canít see the safety light underneath, which is what youíre stating the OP wants to do.
No I am not wrong. In the US, the side markers *must* be reflectorized. Red at rear and Amber at front.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

No I am not wrong. In the US, the side markers *must* be reflectorized. Red at rear and Amber at front.
Reference source? Anyone can say anything online
Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 AM
montoya
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think orange is great, Iím keeping mine, LOL

Old 01-11-2019, 02:16 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’m not sweating the legality here. Lol.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:20 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Addict
Rennlist Member

To match the car's color?
yes, color match to body color.

paint them what color?
GT Silver

The car is dark (opaque) silver. Is that legal?
Not sweating the legality of such a thing. The light does still shine through the paint. I had white ones on my .1.

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs View Post
See's the color of the vinyl over those markers on IG.... /shudders

Seriously though, painting a second set is good thinking .
Ďyeah, yeah, yeah... itís better than the orange in my eyes. Even with paint, Iím concerned about the match. Sorry to say they didnít do a great match with the roll bar.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 AM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3) View Post
I’m not sweating the legality here. Lol.

figured you weren’t. It was just the uninformed yet condescending tone of the other poster that got to me.

I was genuinely interested in your aesthetic plan, which is why I posted the question.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Reference source? Anyone can say anything online
Sure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...and_reflectors

Side marker lights and reflectors

In the United States, amber front and red rear side marker lamps and retroreflectors are required. The law initially required lights or retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1970.[42] These side-facing devices make the vehicle's presence, position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles.[42] The lights are wired so as to illuminate whenever the vehicles' parking and taillamps are on, including when the headlamps are being used.[10] Front amber side markers in the United States may be wired so as to flash in synchronous phase or opposite-phase with the turn signals; nevertheless, they are not required to flash at all.[43] Side markers are permitted but not required on cars and light passenger vehicles outside the United States and Canada. If installed, they are required to be brighter and visible through a larger horizontal angle than US side markers, may flash only in synchronous phase with the turn signals (but are not required to flash), and they must be amber at the front and rear, except rear side markers may be red if they are grouped, combined, or reciprocally incorporated with another rear lighting function that is required to be red.

As such, if the ROW clear markers were legal in North America, auto manufacturers wouldn't have bothered to supply the US-spec markers that come on the vehicles sold in the US. Everything else is NOT legal, whether people care or not.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:08 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

It was just the uninformed yet condescending tone of the other poster that got to me.
Watch who you are calling uninformed and condescending. Peace to you fellow Rennlister...

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: