Sponsored by:

GT3RS PPF poor installation :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts
Default GT3RS PPF poor installation :(

I had a local shop that works on our air cooled cars install PPF on a new to us 2016 GT3RS. The car is essentially brand new with 600 miles. I was given a competitive quote for PPF for the entire car so I went for it. Unfortunately, the install is quite poor with sand, hair, overhang, and creases in certain panels. They claim its Suntek Ultra and hence they had to custom cut to each panel. The fitment isn't exact although the car is covered. They did asinine things to make it look like the whole car is covered such as take off the spoiler and trim pieces (TOLD NOT TO), but left the headlights and taillights in place. I told them I'm extremely dissatisfied and they agreed to consider replacing certain panels. Overall, I'm concerned about the quality of their work as it all seems very rushed and disorganized. That being said, I want to protect my investment in the car and don't want any damage, but before I ask of any remediation I want to make sure they proceed in a competent manner:

1. If the film is removed from the car improperly can it damage the clear coat or the actual paint? I understand the flim needs to be heated prior. Any other steps?

2. I specifically told the shop NOT to place PPF on the headlights and they did. The install was done poorly so there is grit between the plastic headlight and the flim. As such, I want it redone as it looks like the brand new lights appear pitted due to the grit. What is the safest way of removing the film to prevent de-lamination.

3. How do I prove they even used Suntek Ultra like they claim? They said they would give me paperwork when I return but I'm not so sure I trust that.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

My 2 cents find a competent shop and go there and eat the cost of the poor job and consider it a lesson learned. If they can't put it on right I sure as hell wouldn't trust they can take it off without causing issues.

YMMV and good luck
Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Sounds horrible! Sorry to hear.

I'm no expert but heat and patience for removing PPF I think. There is risk of delamination on all 2016+ headlights, heat and patience?

I think risk to factory paint is small if any. Risk to a repainted surface is higher due to proper repaint procedures being followed or not and just whether it was a quality job.

Contact SunTek and ask if they are an approved installer. Share the problems with them.

I'm guessing you noticed after you paid?

If you paid...Can you get a refund? Stop payment on a cheque? Credit card company help?

I'd try and get a refund and go elsewhere.

PM some of the detailers and PPF installers here.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Get your money back and find a competent shop to remove and Re-apply.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Sounds horrible! Sorry to hear.

I'm no expert but heat and patience for removing PPF I think. There is risk of delamination on all 2016+ headlights, heat and patience?

I think risk to factory paint is small if any. Risk to a repainted surface is higher due to proper repaint procedures being followed or not and just whether it was a quality job.

Contact SunTek and ask if they are an approved installer. Share the problems with them.

I'm guessing you noticed after you paid?

If you paid...Can you get a refund? Stop payment on a cheque? Credit card company help?

I'd try and get a refund and go elsewhere.

PM some of the detailers and PPF installers here.
Additionally,
I wouldn’t let those knuckleheads within a 1000’ of my car....I’d also request a full refund!!! Small Claims Court too, if I had to....good luck!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed - Count your lessons with regard to the PPF and move on. Find a competent shop based on reputation and not "competitive offer". It can be removed without damaging the paint but there is always a chance and you need to be aware of that. The headlights - likely to strip the UV coating off of them at removal.

Certainly do not go back to original shop.

Seems your only recourse is to request a refund of some sort.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car. My opinion, which has zero value is, if they can't do it right the first time, they sure won't be able to make it right on the second time. Do the homework and find a good installer in your area. Get recomendations and check the installers work before you have anyone else touch your car. Good luck moving forward.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Ask for refund or partial refund and contact Suntek. If I was you, I wouldn’t go back to them to take it off.
Things will work out.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your words "competitive quote" is very often accompanied with poor satisfaction/quality. Fact is the guys that are good, really good at PPF are almost always going to cost more than anyone else. There are exceptions of course. It is always best to check the reputation of the shop on various forums or through local clubs PCA, BMWCCA etc. Shops that do so, so work will have a reputation for that and often adjust their prices to lure in customers. I selected my shop 11 years ago based on recommendations of other BMW owners in the area. I don't know of my shop (Protective Film Solutions in Scottsdale) has the best prices but I know they do great work and are booked weeks in advance because of it. I have never had a quality issue because the guy who runs the place would never let a car leave that isn't perfect.

I would get my money back and take it to a good shop. Wouldn't let those guys touch my car. If you have to point out their terrible work to them they are not the guys for the job.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 AM
kav1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some practical feedback. I had the same issue on one of my cars. Terrible wrap with bubbles, stretch marks, poorly covered edges, etc. Shop agreed to fix but I did not trust them to fix it and not do more damage.

Took it to a second shop that did a great job. Removed the old wrap and repolished the whole car and reapplied. They found cut marks in the paint and I even had to have a panel touched up. In the end it came out good but it was a terrible experience. Wrap comes off easier if taken off sooner. Did not go for the cheap option just had bad luck and in the end it was a costly mistake. Find a shop you trust and stick with them.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 AM
kbGT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that’s a huge bummer. I had a similarly poor experience, where I was promised a fully wrapped and tucked custom installation of Suntek Ultra but was given a pre-cut, ill-fitting application of a film that I was pretty sure was a crappy generic brand of PPF.

I ended up contesting the credit card charge for the original installation. To complete that process, I had to provide supporting photographic evidence along with a letter from an expert stating that the installation was indeed of a poor quality.

The good news is that, after a few weeks, I ended up getting all of my money back for the original installation job, which I was able to apply towards a proper PPF application.

I would recommend you attempt a similar strategy unless your original installer admits fault, shows true remorse, can provide a credible explanation for why their original attempt sucked so badly, and clearly articulates how they intend to remedy in a manner that will meet or exceed your original expectations. I would also recommend requesting that they refer you to previous customers who have been happy with their top-level jobs. It’s my experience that, with paint protection film, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Only you can determine whether or not an installer is skilled enough to meet your particular expectations from an aesthetic perspective.

Best of luck!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Sand, hair, overhang and creases? I've seen a ton of different PPF installs over the years, but that is really, really bad. OP, I'm sorry to hear this and I agree with those who encouraged you to get your money back and start over with a proper shop. Sometimes saving a few pennies is just not worth it. Just as important as the PPF you choose is the installer.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:11 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

I ll try my best to get all or part of money back and go somewhere else
because if they respect themselves , they would have inspected the work themselves and fixed properly before they delivered to you
if you have a sloppy friend/relative/coworker that did a sloppy job , do you think that if you ask them to do the job again , it will be better !!!!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Where are you located so Rennlist can help you find a competent installer.

I find that most of us on here are OCD and I bet you will be satisfied with the recommendation

I have been there and don that- learned my own lesson about 10 years ago with similar situation
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kbGT
Well, that’s a huge bummer. I had a similarly poor experience, where I was promised a fully wrapped and tucked custom installation of Suntek Ultra but was given a pre-cut, ill-fitting application of a film that I was pretty sure was a crappy generic brand of PPF.

I ended up contesting the credit card charge for the original installation. To complete that process, I had to provide supporting photographic evidence along with a letter from an expert stating that the installation was indeed of a poor quality.

The good news is that, after a few weeks, I ended up getting all of my money back for the original installation job, which I was able to apply towards a proper PPF application.

I would recommend you attempt a similar strategy unless your original installer admits fault, shows true remorse, can provide a credible explanation for why their original attempt sucked so badly, and clearly articulates how they intend to remedy in a manner that will meet or exceed your original expectations. I would also recommend requesting that they refer you to previous customers who have been happy with their top-level jobs. It’s my experience that, with paint protection film, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Only you can determine whether or not an installer is skilled enough to meet your particular expectations from an aesthetic perspective.

Best of luck!
Thanks to all. If I don't receive a refund, then think this may be the best way to proceed. Unfortunately, its a shop I had a relationship with but the work on this project and and another as of late is done very poorly. I am awaiting their response.
Vivek

Quick Reply: GT3RS PPF poor installation :(