GT3RS PPF poor installation :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Thanks for your OPINION, and as JC and I have eluded, one of the reasons we request deposits is to validate a client and their commitment. We take our business seriously and honestly don’t have time for tire-kickers.

As anyone that values their time will tell you, time is a resource that cannot be wasted or regained once gone. Most, if not all, our clients have absolutely NO problem with a deposit and they understand WHY. So, call it a barrier to entry, but we’re also seeking a particular clientele for the long-term.

as for OP, “competitive bid” is great when buying tires, TVs, etc...consumables. But when it comes to a “service”, on a very expensive car, you should seek exceptional quality and customer service and spend the most you can afford. Vetting a vendor on forums, car club members, etc., will usually yield you a few possible choices consistently showing up. That’s a good sign.

Seeing the work in person, and the shop, is also crucial. I often tell clients to seek guys like us out and screen as you would a cpa, attorney, doctor, etc. experience will demand more $$$, but it usually comes with VALUE.

Hopefuly you have addressed the concerns with the original shop and if they’re a stand-up business, they should make it right.

Otherwise, unfortunately, without knowing what you paid for and what scope of work, you may very well gotten what you paid for.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
I once asked my installer why they do not take a deposit. He replied "I have enough business on my calendar should anyone cancel"
I think if you are going to take a 50% deposit then why not use an escrow service ?
What happens if I give you a 50% deposit and say: you pass away or go out of business. Getting a deposit back would be a nightmare.
Other ways to protect your interest, maybe getting a commission number, build dates from the dealership direct, of course with consent of the client.
While we stay busy, we are still a low-volume operation which relies on schedule and when someone decides at the last minute that they don't want to honor their word, it causes a disruption. Our bread and butter are custom projects, not 12-24 hour turn around pre-cut PPF partials in which a missed appointment can be filled via answering a quick phone call. Unless this installer has a similar model to mine, his deposit policy has no reason to be similar to mine.

You ask a fair follow up question. An untimely death is actually a topic I discuss and cover with my staff and wife to keep the business afloat if I met my end. I have multiple channels which someone could recover their money should they not wish to not take advantage of my staff completing a job. Simply calling the office or sending an email will net someone a refund. And if paid via CC, the process is as simple as canceling via email or a call and having the CC company charge back. The money will be there.

And if I go out of business? I do not mean to be sarcastic or anything but the business world greatly depends on each other not going out of business and I suppose there's a calculated risk that's tied to doing business with someone. What are you going to do with your warranty if a PPF manufacturer goes out of business? What about Porsche? B2B is just about nothing but depending on each other staying afloat. I could ask the same question...what if you die before you come to get the car or a car gets repo'd (that's actually happened to someone I know) and I've completed the work? There's a small risk something like that could happen to me but I honestly don't get anxious over something so unlikely.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:11 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
While we stay busy, we are still a low-volume operation which relies on schedule and when someone decides at the last minute that they don't want to honor their word, it causes a disruption. Our bread and butter are custom projects, not 12-24 hour turn around pre-cut PPF partials in which a missed appointment can be filled via answering a quick phone call. Unless this installer has a similar model to mine, his deposit policy has no reason to be similar to mine.

You ask a fair follow up question. An untimely death is actually a topic I discuss and cover with my staff and wife to keep the business afloat if I met my end. I have multiple channels which someone could recover their money should they not wish to not take advantage of my staff completing a job. Simply calling the office or sending an email will net someone a refund. And if paid via CC, the process is as simple as canceling via email or a call and having the CC company charge back. The money will be there.

And if I go out of business? I do not mean to be sarcastic or anything but the business world greatly depends on each other not going out of business and I suppose there's a calculated risk that's tied to doing business with someone. What are you going to do with your warranty if a PPF manufacturer goes out of business? What about Porsche? B2B is just about nothing but depending on each other staying afloat. I could ask the same question...what if you die before you come to get the car or a car gets repo'd (that's actually happened to someone I know) and I've completed the work? There's a small risk something like that could happen to me but I honestly don't get anxious over something so unlikely.
+1...EXACTLY and well articulated JC.

Similar to JC, as I had told you over the phone when you asked the same question about me dying, Craig, I told you I have MANY safety nets in place should anything happen to me, or my business. And I also told you that’s a question no one has asked me in my almost 25 years in business. That’s what a professional does...look out for his/her business and plan for future.

As much as I’m the founder and reason behind GP, the company has outgrown a one-man show and we have systems in place to take care of our clients now and into the future.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 01-10-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1...EXACTLY and well articulated JC.

Similar to JC, as I had told you over the phone when you asked the same question about my dying, Craig, I told you I have MANY safety nets in place should anything happen to me, or my business, should something like that happen. That’s what a professional does.

As as much as I’m the founder and reason behind GP, the company has outgrown a one-man show and we have systems in place to take care of our clients now and into the future.
Moe
Simple question
Why don't you use an escrow service ?
It protects both parties, I see no drawbacks
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 0to60
Moe
Simple question
Why don't you use an escrow service ?
It protects both parties, I see no drawbacks
Simple...Deposits are fully refundable and it’s never been an issue. No one has ever asked me to...except you 😉

We have recently implemented an alternative option..a 25% deposit upon booking on calendar, 25% deposit at drop off, and final 50% upon completion. This applies to projects over $7500.

It was inspired recently. We did a group buy and a client really wanted to take advantage of the opportunity, but wasn’t getting his car for about four months...so we listened and he was genuine and made sense.

We pride ourselves on customer service and listening to feedback that improves our business accordingly...assuming it makes sense for our business model and target clientele.

You make SOME valid points Craig, as there are those out there in our industry that being cautious would definitely be the prudent strategy. I’ve heard some nightmare stories and can see why some people would be worried handing over $$$ for services not rendered.

lucky for you and this community, we’ve earned our stripes and run an honest and proficient business.

maybe one day, we can make a believer out of you.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated. I have a relationship with the shop as they most recently worked on our GT4 as well as RSA. They do mostly mechanical work, but they do contract work and have detail teams come by. We had our RSA and GT4 undergo ceramic pro and the results were spectacular. I also had the GT4 front covered with Suntek Ultra and it appeared the work was done quite well with none of the issues aforementioned. As such, I figured it should be the same with the 3RS but this project was rushed. Clearly, not the same level of care was taken.

I spoke to the shop owner and he said they will right this situation and personally oversee the removal and replacement of the film. I think the only way to consider this would be detailed photos of the removal / replacement. I do not have the time to be with the car during this process. Unfortunately, there would be a trust element there.

Given our past relationship (hope I do not regret this), I'm inclined to consider it, BUT have not finalized this decision yet. I don't want to rashly cut the relationship with the shop, but the work needs to be done 100%. Otherwise, as most of you recommended I will demand a full refund and have to go elsewhere...
Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasman85
You should document or be there whenever the current film is removed. If they did not use a pre-cut kit and did such a poor job on the install, I guarantee there is going to be a few razor cuts in the paint. You’d want to get pictures of them as evidence before the new film goes on and masks some of them.
If I have them remove then I will have to be there.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Paying a higher price doesn't always guarantee the best service; This applies to many things including PPF. I personally paid for a full XPEL for my GT3 to a top installer and ended up with a horrible film/install that wasn't XPEL. There are many horrible stories when it comes to PPF install and unless you are located in a very good area with good installers that post their work here on the forums on a regular basis, god knows what you are going to get. A lot of installers take advantage of exotic owners with minimal knowledge about detailing and film and are making a ton of money on crappy film and installation. In my case, I ended up taking a part of the film off, sending it to XPEL for verification and then had to hire a lawyer to get money back plus the removal cost and etc. It's a nightmare to go through something like that. In our area, there are simply no good installers so I'm not even going to PPF anything, it's just not worth it.

To the OP, I would advise you to go get a complete quote for removal and installation from a good installer and then ask for all of it back from the original installer, if they refuse, just take legal action. To verify the film, go to an authorized installer and have them remove a part and send it to the vendor for verification.

Quick Reply: GT3RS PPF poor installation :(