Need advice on PPF with factory CXX Decals

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Need advice on PPF with factory CXX Decals

Hey Guys,

Need some guidance/advice as I am about to PPF the GT3 (and apply ceramic coating thereafter). Quick question I have is how to go about the factory horizontal "PORSCHE" decal that goes from front through rear fender. Here are my options it seems (unless I haven't factored other possibilities) - note, I am doing the front clip/high impact areas vs the whole car (i.e. hood, bumpers, front fenders, rocker panels, mirrors):

Option 1. PPF over the factory decal
  • Pros:
    • protecting the decal
  • Cons:
    • eventually and over the years film will need to be replaced, doing so will likely pull off the factory decal and render it kaput
    • will get 'halo' effect around the decal from air pockets - given I am not doing the doors will likely appear visibly different across panels
Option 2. Remove Factory Decal, PPF, then apply decal anew (I assume I won't be able to reuse the factory one, so that in itself may be the killer)
  • Pros:
    • uniform look across panels (fenders and doors)
  • Cons:
    • Pulling off the factory decal will render it kaput - essentially throwing away what I paid for via CXX (and much of the cause of the ~8-mo production delay, I'm told)
Option 3. Install PPF up to the area of the decal
  • Pros:
    • Closest to having your cake and eating it too - car protected to the max extent possible sans the constraint of the decal area at the bottom
  • Cons:
    • Decal will be unprotected
    • May look visible that there is PPF above the decal and not in between/below it
    • Will require cutting the PPF film for a custom fit
Thoughts / opinions / options to consider are much appreciated! TIA
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I removed the factory side decals on my RS before I had it fully wrapped. I purchased a new set and had planned on applying it over the PPF but liked the look better without decals. I wrapped over the other decals (hood crest, rear model designation) and thought the look was fine.

If I had to choose, I would go with option 1. The factory decal is not reusable and will get beat up from regular driving unprotected.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:21 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
I removed the factory side decals on my RS before I had it fully wrapped. I purchased a new set and had planned on applying it over the PPF but liked the look better without decals. I wrapped over the other decals (hood crest, rear model designation) and thought the look was fine.

If I had to choose, I would go with option 1. The factory decal is not reusable and will get beat up from regular driving unprotected.
i did the same on my RS and agree with option 1. ii didn't want to be committed to the details long term with the PPF on top of them. i haven't put new decals on either.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:21 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

PPF right over the motorsports decal on mine (CXX) right after delivery.
Fwiw, I'll buy another set of decals if PPF is needing to be replaced down the road...

Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, much appreciate the feedback!

A QQ - are all decals available for purchase, including ones originally ordered via CXX? I know for the RS decals were a no-cost option, but in my case what I wanted was deemed "Special Wishes" (literally reflected as such on the window sticker under Custom Tailoring) and Porsche Exclusive charged...gulp... $1,430 for those (I know, I know, I brought lube with me ) Hence my reluctance to pull them off (and I assume price for purchase would be near that, assuming they will let me order).

I have exactly what was shown by BlazinPond above sans the hood/roof (i.e. P#428 Porsche script across the side), except PORSCHE in cadmium yellow (100-15/5), Stripes in aluminum metallic 100-58.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Can get the factory decals from Suncoast if you want OEM or just get 'em done at a local decal shop for a fraction of the price
Old 01-08-2019, 06:37 PM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did ppf right over the RS decals. I like the way it came out
Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Decals identical to the factory ones are available from renndecals.com for $45-$55 depending on the color(s).

Most who order them CXX from factory ($1430, which I almost did) do so to get them on the Monroney so they can say they’re “factory” believing it will add to their cred and the car’s value (which I don’t believe is actually true) and to ensure a perfect factory install (which I believe IS true).

Having the decals installed perfectly to factory specs takes some skill and will probably cost you about $500 or more to have done. Not only is it about perfect positioning but also perfect trimming to NOT wrap around the wheel arches, for example and end perfectly, etc.

I’ve seen pics of factory side decals covered with PPF close up, and I think it actually looks quite good with the slight halo effect around them caused by the tiny air gap.

If you do cover them with PPF and later remove the PPF, yes, you’ll have to replace them, since they cannot be removed without ruining them. But if you have them replaced with ones identical in appearance to the original factory ones (and carefully done to perfectly match the placement and trimming of the factory ones, which you can do by carefully photographing and documenting the factory ones before removing them), no one will ever know the difference. And they’ll still be on the Monroney, too, so you can fin and ati say they’re factory CXX.

So long story short, I think if you’re ordering a car, it’s certainly a savings of about $900-$1000 (even including professional installation) to get aftermarket decals vs CXX and that the fact your decals are CXX vs aftermarket won’t make a bit of difference on resale as long as the aftermarket ones are identically and perfectly installed and trimmed to match factory look.

But IF you already bought factory ones, by all means put PPF over them. It will look good, protect them for years (certainly longer than they’ll last unprotected), and if/when you replace the PPF don’t worry about replacing with aftermarket that perfectly matches them because no one will ever know.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I had my guy PPF over the rear PPF and decals and very happy with the outcome. I was going to pull all off and remove, but my guy and I agreed to cover all it looks goods very satisfied.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

I have option 1 as well. It doesn’t bother me one bit. They also went over the factory stone guards.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Good info
I was told going over the decals can be done with slight halo however the OEM stone guards would leave a much bigger bubble/crease
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that halo effect looks really good on the black cars. Makes the wording really pop!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadaredevil
Wow that halo effect looks really good on the black cars. Makes the wording really pop!
came out better than we thought, and I didn’t pull off OEM decals and PPF.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lapis
Decals identical to the factory ones are available from renndecals.com for $45-$55 depending on the color(s).

Most who order them CXX from factory ($1430, which I almost did) do so to get them on the Monroney so they can say they’re “factory” believing it will add to their cred and the car’s value (which I don’t believe is actually true) and to ensure a perfect factory install (which I believe IS true).

Having the decals installed perfectly to factory specs takes some skill and will probably cost you about $500 or more to have done. Not only is it about perfect positioning but also perfect trimming to NOT wrap around the wheel arches, for example and end perfectly, etc.

I’ve seen pics of factory side decals covered with PPF close up, and I think it actually looks quite good with the slight halo effect around them caused by the tiny air gap.

If you do cover them with PPF and later remove the PPF, yes, you’ll have to replace them, since they cannot be removed without ruining them. But if you have them replaced with ones identical in appearance to the original factory ones (and carefully done to perfectly match the placement and trimming of the factory ones, which you can do by carefully photographing and documenting the factory ones before removing them), no one will ever know the difference. And they’ll still be on the Monroney, too, so you can fin and ati say they’re factory CXX.

So long story short, I think if you’re ordering a car, it’s certainly a savings of about $900-$1000 (even including professional installation) to get aftermarket decals vs CXX and that the fact your decals are CXX vs aftermarket won’t make a bit of difference on resale as long as the aftermarket ones are identically and perfectly installed and trimmed to match factory look.

But IF you already bought factory ones, by all means put PPF over them. It will look good, protect them for years (certainly longer than they’ll last unprotected), and if/when you replace the PPF don’t worry about replacing with aftermarket that perfectly matches them because no one will ever know.
Thanks for the pointers, Lapis. I can tell you wholeheartedly I am in the second camp (i.e. was all about ensuring a perfect factory install/fit/finish/color match vs. having it on the Monroney somehow believing it will add to the car's cred/value).

In fact, it was further the 'thrill' of working with Yana and Porsche Exclusive, selecting from swatches, matching to both yellow calipers and satin wheels, etc. and feeling even more intimate with your own build and being a part of your car's 'birth'. Certainly the price was dear, but between my PTS and other CXX options (atop of course other available options), this ended up being incrementally a basis points addition to the bottom line. At the time I also didn't have a trusted decal shop nor installer, so to me was all of the above plus peace of mind it will be done 'right' and as intended by PAG (as I have seen various aftermarket versions, including installing these to be horizontal to the road surface vs parallel to the car's silhouette).

Anyhow, just the process I am sure we have all gone through in 'justifying' each option box we have ticked
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAM2
I have option 1 as well. It doesn’t bother me one bit. They also went over the factory stone guards.

Look good indeed, Jam!

Quick question - your car has a full PPF? I was thinking of doing the high impact areas/front clip, and hence not the doors, which also complicates my options as it would mean the decal over the door area would look different if I PPF the front fender area (and rear bumper) but not the doors. Then if I do the doors, means might as well do the whole car.... Slippery slope it is...

Quick Reply: Need advice on PPF with factory CXX Decals