991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes!!! New 2019 California Auto Exhaust Laws

Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Doesn’t this law make Sharkwerks and other bypass exhaust devices illegal in the state of California? Or, at least it subjects all owners to fines and vehicle inspections?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Doesn’t this law make Sharkwerks and other bypass exhaust devices illegal in the state of California? Or, at least it subjects all owners to fines and vehicle inspections?
Would this apply to vehicles registered out of Country? As-in bringing my Canadian plated car.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Check Colorado statute 42-4-225:

Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/defau...4-title-42.pdf
Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
If they can make money on it, you're gonna get nailed for it.
finally someone gets it. Traffic enforcement is largely about revenue. A fix it ticket is poor revenue. Not so much a guaranteed fine based off of an officer’s subjective thoughts that the victim has to prove is wrong.

While the parameters of the enforcement and noise levels did not change, expect an officer to be far more likely to write a noise violation now. Especially since $1000 is a huge fine....that’s higher than reckless driving!

If if you want more proof that it’s about the revenue, just look at those guys who drive on rallies and get 4 tickets in one day for going over 100mph. All of those guys still have their licenses and probably even clean driving records. That’s because they just pay increased fines in exchange for no records. If it was truly about the rules, these guys would have lost their licenses many tickets ago
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 297 Posts

The other law they are enforcing starting this year (at least with the dealers) is the front plate mount requirement. Dealers have to provide a method of mounting a front plate, they can't just have the buyer sign off on it. Again this about $ since all the bridges/toll rds catch people by taking pictures of their front plates. to this point I've never had a front plate on my P cars and have had many police/CHP in front of me / around me and never had a problem but if they are directed to look for that it will quickly become one. I guess it's not a big deal until you get pulled over by an officer that's having a bad day.

What I'm wondering is if the stock system inherently can't pass sound (and I'm assuming it won't since it blows a 98db at Laguna from a sound booth a hundred+ feet away) how is one supposed to convince somebody at an inspection station it's legal because the car came that way?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
oh good a law the permits arbitrary enforcement with subjective standards. What could go wrong?

instead of worrying about exhaust noise because it’s a nuisance maybe they should give illegal immigration a look...but then again that’s only costing the state hundreds of millions and ballooning the crime rate. Yeah, focus on exhaust noise. Much more important to the Starbucks crowd and elites in their limos living in their walled compounds.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:13 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Check Colorado statute 42-4-225:

Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/defau...4-title-42.pdf
Interesting. Thanks for postng that!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
The other law they are enforcing starting this year (at least with the dealers) is the front plate mount requirement. Dealers have to provide a method of mounting a front plate, they can't just have the buyer sign off on it. Again this about $ since all the bridges/toll rds catch people by taking pictures of their front plates. to this point I've never had a front plate on my P cars and have had many police/CHP in front of me / around me and never had a problem but if they are directed to look for that it will quickly become one. I guess it's not a big deal until you get pulled over by an officer that's having a bad day.

What I'm wondering is if the stock system inherently can't pass sound (and I'm assuming it won't since it blows a 98db at Laguna from a sound booth a hundred+ feet away) how is one supposed to convince somebody at an inspection station it's legal because the car came that way?
I don't have front plate
I get toll evasion all the time
they will get your rear plate
soon we will need side plate, and tattoo on forehead
Old 01-09-2019, 12:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,711 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I don't have front plate
I get toll evasion all the time
they will get your rear plate
soon we will need side plate, and tattoo on forehead
Already done.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:43 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

This is like front window tint, front license plates, tinted tail lights, laser jammers etc in CA. The CHP / PD just have more pressing things to focus on. Sure meter maids may tag you for front license plates once in a while. But its a relatively affordable toll for keeping these cars as we prefer to.

Knock wood.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 AM
PTeezy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
in a couple of years the only way drivers will be able to avoid tickets in CA will be by driving a Prius or Tesla ( driver must be wearing Birkenstock's, however).
or Crocs. lol
Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by PTeezy
or Crocs. lol
I got my first pair of Crocs few months ago for backyard use....gotta say they are super comfortable.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Would this apply to vehicles registered out of Country? As-in bringing my Canadian plated car.
Unlikely. I was in California for 5 months with my BC-plated GT3 with bypass/headers/cage/tow hook and never ran into any issues. And I was driving in densely populated areas like DTLA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, in addition to freeways and canyons. People are largely overstating the severity of this new bill IMO.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Unlikely. I was in California for 5 months with my BC-plated GT3 with bypass/headers/cage/tow hook and never ran into any issues. And I was driving in densely populated areas like DTLA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, in addition to freeways and canyons. People are largely overstating the severity of this new bill IMO.
The difference is that it used to be a fix it ticket. Now it's a fine. That's a huge difference. If there's money to be made, they're going to enforce it. The bike cops will do it as their sole mission is revenue generation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yikes!!! New 2019 California Auto Exhaust Laws